The Help Me Get Into An Artist Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

TripleJay97

Re: The Help Me Get Into An Artist Thread

Post by TripleJay97 » 02 Sep 2015, 16:51

Consigliere_11 wrote:Okay
So, I was following some Beck survivors and the passion of some fellow forumers made me interested in his music. I've also liked "Dreams". Where should I begin to explore his vast catalogue?
I'll let Miki do this one.

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 03 Sep 2015, 07:47

I started with "Sea Change" and so far it's very nice! Very melodic and the opener is great
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

Miki

Post by Miki » 04 Sep 2015, 00:24

TripleJay97 wrote:
Consigliere_11 wrote:Okay
So, I was following some Beck survivors and the passion of some fellow forumers made me interested in his music. I've also liked "Dreams". Where should I begin to explore his vast catalogue?
I'll let Miki do this one.
Very difficult question to answer, as Beck's output is so diverse (and vast!) listening to one album would not give you a comprehensive idea of what he's about. I mean, how do you even begin to compare Odelay to Sea Change? Midnite Vultures to The Information? Mutations to Guero? Mellow Gold to Morning Phase?

I wrote a Guide to Beck's Music on Facebook (if you can access it) https://www.facebook.com/notes/michela- ... 9188932808" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also made a playlist of Beck's songs (in chronological order) on Youtube... sort of a Best of if you can have such a thing! https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... bnU3uyyZDB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would say Odelay and Sea Change are probably a good start to dip your toes in the two main aspects of his music - energetic, experimental, hybrid, sample-master Beck, and folk, sensitive, melancholic singer-songwriter Beck. On the other hand, if you like Dreams, you might enjoy Guero or Midnite Vultures. But really, any album is a good starting point depending on your taste.
Last edited by Miki on 04 Sep 2015, 00:57, edited 4 times in total.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Miki

Post by Miki » 04 Sep 2015, 00:25

Consigliere_11 wrote:I started with "Sea Change" and so far it's very nice! Very melodic and the opener is great
If you like Sea Change, then Morning Phase could be next.

Incidentally, Sea Change is the album that made me a Beck die-hard. I knew of him before, of course, I even owned Odelay, but I was more of a superficial fan. Sea Change made me pay attention on a different level. I couldn't believe this was the same guy that sang Loser! So I started to explore more of his music and... the rest is history, as they say!

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 04 Sep 2015, 02:50

Dreams is probably closer to the Midnite Vultures sound than anything, I think..

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 04 Sep 2015, 13:57

And to add to that...you must see him live (if you haven't)..... Beck's BST/Hyde Park performance blew me away BEYOND belief that I am still on Cloud 9!

Miki

Post by Miki » 04 Sep 2015, 14:37

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:And to add to that...you must see him live (if you haven't)..... Beck's BST/Hyde Park performance blew me away BEYOND belief that I am still on Cloud 9!
Agreed! And that wasn't the first time I saw him!

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 04 Sep 2015, 19:50

Miki wrote: Incidentally, Sea Change is the album that made me a Beck die-hard. I knew of him before, of course, I even owned Odelay, but I was more of a superficial fan. Sea Change made me pay attention on a different level. I couldn't believe this was the same guy that sang Loser! So I started to explore more of his music and... the rest is history, as they say!

Well, I've been listening to it for a couple days now, and I can say that it will definitely stay in the library, because it's really-really good. I've got no idea why I wanted to hear Sea Change first - maybe because I saw the cover a couple of times and I have a guilty pleause of liking the post-breakup albums because of their melancholy. So this might open his talent to me as well! Thank you for your survivors - I enjoy the posts about certain songs that can't be eliminated at a particular moment :D
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:And to add to that...you must see him live (if you haven't)..... Beck's BST/Hyde Park performance blew me away BEYOND belief that I am still on Cloud 9!
Oh, I wish! I'm always a bit sceptical about artists coming to our country (still, I've most of my favourite acts, so it's not right to bother :|), but maybe I'll see him somewhere.. When he releases the new record, I suppose!
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

Miki

Post by Miki » 04 Sep 2015, 23:35

Consigliere_11 wrote: Well, I've been listening to it for a couple days now, and I can say that it will definitely stay in the library, because it's really-really good. I've got no idea why I wanted to hear Sea Change first - maybe because I saw the cover a couple of times and I have a guilty pleause of liking the post-breakup albums because of their melancholy. So this might open his talent to me as well! Thank you for your survivors - I enjoy the posts about certain songs that can't be eliminated at a particular moment :D
I'm glad you love Sea Change, as it remains one of my favourite albums - not just by Beck! - to this day.

Keep following the Survivors thread. I've just posted a few titbits about a couple of songs on Guero :)

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 05 Sep 2015, 06:50

Miki wrote:
Agreed! And that wasn't the first time I saw him!

Yeah, I've been a huge Beck fan since he first came out (but not as hardcore/devout as you are obviously) and his overall stage presence, the setlist, his backing band, etc. highlighted that day for me. I did watch the Strokes entire performance (I believe you mentioned you didn't stick around for them) and I was definitely more blown away from Beck.

Did you see Syd Arthur perform that day? If so, how did you feel about them?

Miki

Post by Miki » 05 Sep 2015, 11:01

I was there early, down the front (almost) and saw all the performances until after Beck. Left the pit when Beck finished as it started to get really busy and crazy. I was never a fan of the Strokes, particularly. I was there to see Beck. He was the best thing all day, without a doubt. A few reviews agreed that he blew everyone else out of the water. He is not just a great songwriter, a multi-instrumentalist, an accomplished musician and a skilled lyricist, he's also a fantastic performer and an excellent entertainer. He can turn up with a 12 piece band, horn section and all, or perform an intimate solo acoustic show; he can be poignant or extremely funny (bordering stand up comedy); he has played dinner tables, performed with puppets, gone on stage with a leafblower and captivated thousands stomping with just an harmonica. The man is so talented it makes you cry! :mrgreen:

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 12 Sep 2015, 07:40

Miki wrote:I was there early, down the front (almost) and saw all the performances until after Beck. Left the pit when Beck finished as it started to get really busy and crazy. I was never a fan of the Strokes, particularly. I was there to see Beck. He was the best thing all day, without a doubt. A few reviews agreed that he blew everyone else out of the water. He is not just a great songwriter, a multi-instrumentalist, an accomplished musician and a skilled lyricist, he's also a fantastic performer and an excellent entertainer. He can turn up with a 12 piece band, horn section and all, or perform an intimate solo acoustic show; he can be poignant or extremely funny (bordering stand up comedy); he has played dinner tables, performed with puppets, gone on stage with a leafblower and captivated thousands stomping with just an harmonica. The man is so talented it makes you cry! :mrgreen:

I agree...to start his set with "Devils Haircut"..... Lord! Usually that great of a song would be worthy to be performed during an encore, but just immediately hints how solid his entire catalog is! And I remember when I first purchased "Odelay"....I was around 19 and lived in the Detroit suburbs at the time and the legal drinking age in Canada was 19....So my friends and I would always venture to the border....Anyways, on one such occasion my friend and I drove up there with "Odelay" playing the entire time and unfortunately I got kicked out of the bar for my first (and only) time ever and my friend was quite livid at me and we listened to "Odelay" all the way back...Such though a wonderful soundtrack to a very twisted night out! Then I nearly completely lost it when he did "Think I'm In Love".... Not only was Beck solid himself, but his entire backing band was magnificent....They have such perfect chemistry.....And I loved Becks jokes and how he connected to the crowd....

Yeah, the Strokes were pretty much average.... I still loved Syd Arthur...... That was the first time I ever knew of their existence and would love to see more of them!

Miki

Post by Miki » 13 Sep 2015, 00:13

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:I agree...to start his set with "Devils Haircut"..... Lord! Usually that great of a song would be worthy to be performed during an encore, but just immediately hints how solid his entire catalog is! And I remember when I first purchased "Odelay"....I was around 19 and lived in the Detroit suburbs at the time and the legal drinking age in Canada was 19....So my friends and I would always venture to the border....Anyways, on one such occasion my friend and I drove up there with "Odelay" playing the entire time and unfortunately I got kicked out of the bar for my first (and only) time ever and my friend was quite livid at me and we listened to "Odelay" all the way back...Such though a wonderful soundtrack to a very twisted night out! Then I nearly completely lost it when he did "Think I'm In Love".... Not only was Beck solid himself, but his entire backing band was magnificent....They have such perfect chemistry.....And I loved Becks jokes and how he connected to the crowd...
Beck's bands have rotated over the years, but he has had some incredible line-ups. The current (plus a couple of members that were there last year) are his favourite group of musicians. They have played with him on and off for a very long time. Collectively, they have recorded Mutations, Midnite Vultures, Sea Change, and Morning Phase and individually appear on Guero, The Information or Modern Guilt. Joey Waronker, the drummer, is probably the longest serving member... started playing with Beck in 1994 and is credited on Odelay. They are all very talented people, who have played with and for countless other big names. They are genuine friends and that transpires.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 06 Nov 2015, 21:44

Van Morrison

I think Brown Eyed Girl is great. I like Astral Weeks, but it will take a while for it to grow on me. The fact that my favourite so far is the jazzy one is apparently quite odd.

Where should I go next? And I kinda wondering if he's done something that isn't as soul/folk? [although I realise that's where he flourishes, and ultimately what I'd probably enjoy more. But sometimes I like to get into artists by their more unusual stuff.]

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 07 Nov 2015, 06:46

AdvertBreak wrote:Van Morrison

I think Brown Eyed Girl is great. I like Astral Weeks, but it will take a while for it to grow on me. The fact that my favourite so far is the jazzy one is apparently quite odd.

Where should I go next? And I kinda wondering if he's done something that isn't as soul/folk? [although I realise that's where he flourishes, and ultimately what I'd probably enjoy more. But sometimes I like to get into artists by their more unusual stuff.]

Actually, you don't go next...you go backwards and check him out when he was w/the band Them...They were very incredible and didn't receive much due! This is their most popular tune...one in which I know you've heard millions of times....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0aHmMfZTEw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Solo....songs like "Tupelo Honey" and "Moondance" are my absolute faves...Love his distinctive voice....excellent choice!