The Help Me Get Into An Artist Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

KingLouieLouie76

Re: The Help Me Get Into An Artist Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 06 May 2015, 06:46

Regarding Gomez....several despise Ben Otewell's vocals (the more American, bluesy sounding one).....Also, to me he's one of the better lead-guitarist today (along w/Graham)..His vocals complement Ian Ball (whose style is more Britpop sounding), and Tom Gray (the third vocalist) is in between both Ben's and Ian's range and works brilliantly with folksy style....They haven't recorded a new album since 2011 (Ben and Ian have respectively embarked on solo careers), but they haven't split and I hope they finally record something new soon...

Other bands I suggest are from the 70s/80s.... Steely Dan and also the Cars!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 07 May 2015, 06:07

Miki wrote:I used to like the Charlatans way back, in the early 90s, and love their first two albums, Some Friendly and Between 10th and 11th.

From those I suggest The Only One I Know, Polar Bear, I Don't Want To See The Sights, Can't Even Be Bothered and (No One) Not Even the Rain. If you like Leisure, you'd like these.
Yes I agree. And I like the comparison with 'Leisure' - it has the same vibe as those Charlatans albums.

Particularly like the mention for 'I Don't Want To See The Sights' - a good, under-stated indie song from that time. And I am taken back to those pre-Britpop indie times when I hear it.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 07 May 2015, 18:39

So guys - I am a complete novice with Super Furry Animals. Which album(s) should I go for first?

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 07 May 2015, 18:44

Radiator and Rings Around the World are great starting places, probably being two of the more eclectic albums they'e made. Follow this with Guerilla.

I suspect someone else will want to highlight a different set of albums (being consistently great in making them) but that's my two pence.

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 07 May 2015, 18:45

^thank you, I shall have a listen!

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 07 May 2015, 20:46

AdvertBreak wrote:
Miki wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:Everyone check out Gomez.....from their first album "Bring It On" through their fourth "Split the Difference"....
Love Gomez! :D
Same here!

I've got another one. Other than a few songs I like, I'm not so big on The Charlatans. I bough one of their albums (Wonderland) second hand and have never played it.
check out telling stories (1997) their finest album, and their 1st best of Melting pot (1998)

favourite tracks from melting pot
sproston green
never want an easy life
cant get out of bed
jesus hairdo
just lookin
crashin in
just when ur thinking things over

recently recomended that as the best path for Aldamasta, and he enjoyed it
their later work did nothing for me at all, from their 1999 album Us and Us Only onwards

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 07 May 2015, 22:35

He's So High wrote:So guys - I am a complete novice with Super Furry Animals. Which album(s) should I go for first?
As AdvertBreak said, those two albums are the safest bets. Radiator is more funky and perfectly embodies the SFA sound, whereas Rings Around the World is perhaps their most "mainstream" record and easier to listen to for the casual listener. Try them both.

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 07 May 2015, 23:41

if SFA ever do a full vinyl reissues series top of my lst would either be songbook vol1 (they were always a great singles band)
or Fuzzy Logic, Radiator also would be one id want to pick up, so those would be my recommendations

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 08 May 2015, 00:43

Radiator and Fuzzy Logic were 2 albums that got me hooked on them. Probably the only good 'britpop' albums during the 90's apart from Blur's albums. Pulp's Different Class and Oasis' Definitely Maybe was alright but Super Furry Animals blew me away sometimes even more than blur did.

If you love blur you really can't go wrong with those 2 albums. It doesn't stop there though, their whole discography is worth it!
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 08 May 2015, 07:24

Rubi wrote:
He's So High wrote:So guys - I am a complete novice with Super Furry Animals. Which album(s) should I go for first?
As AdvertBreak said, those two albums are the safest bets. Radiator is more funky and perfectly embodies the SFA sound, whereas Rings Around the World is perhaps their most "mainstream" record and easier to listen to for the casual listener. Try them both.
I would honestly swap those descriptions around :lol:

Start with Ice Hockey Hair. Replay Ice Hockey Hair until you can perfectly mime the drum outro. Get Guerrilla. Replay Guerrilla until you can time perfectly and sing along to the Chewing Chewing Gum reprise. Get Radiator. Scream "French Bread". Say "You know he don't give a fuck about anybody else" a bunch of times. Then you're in.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 08 May 2015, 11:34

Please check-out this B-Side of Gomez...It's BEYOND amazing! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYwENvhb6Ds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 29 May 2015, 15:06

Pere Ubu

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 06 Jul 2015, 20:55

Todd Rundgren.

I already quite like him but I've not really started with an actual album.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 27 Jul 2015, 14:49

Porcupine Tree

I've heard tracks over the years which I've liked. Now I want an album.

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 02 Sep 2015, 16:38

Okay
So, I was following some Beck survivors and the passion of some fellow forumers made me interested in his music. I've also liked "Dreams". Where should I begin to explore his vast catalogue?
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)