The Help Me Get Into An Artist Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Lt Pinkerton

The Help Me Get Into An Artist Thread

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 03 May 2015, 16:50

I thought this could be a good idea. User 1 says he/she doesn't like a particular artist but wouldn't mind getting into them, then User 2 selects five songs by that artist that could be enjoyed by User 1. We would assume that User 1 has already heard the big hits or we'd be given some clues. Participation wouldn't be limited to just one user, of course. Example: Westway says he doesn't like Blur and somebody tells him to listen to Trimm Trabb, Death of a Party, Coping, Inertia and He Thought of Cars, while other user suggests to go for Alex's Song, Rednecks, Crazy Beat, Bang and Ernold Same.

I'll start: I don't like Wilco, although I think Impossible Germany is a fantastic song. Surprise me.

mr_spenalzo

Re: The Help Me Get Into An Artist Thread

Post by mr_spenalzo » 03 May 2015, 17:37

I'm not a big fan of Wilco's, but if someone can get me into Scarlett Johansson that'd be great.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 03 May 2015, 21:39

mr_spenalzo wrote:I'm not a big fan of Wilco's, but if someone can get me into Scarlett Johansson that'd be great.
Well you could start at her cover of The Cure's 'Boy's Don't Cry': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChkmcIlCmpU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She has an excellent baritone voice.

Mrbriggs

Post by Mrbriggs » 03 May 2015, 23:42

I don't really listen to Wilco anymore, but I did when I was younger. The songs I remember liking the most are I'm The Man Who Loves You, I Am Trying to Break Your Heart, Hummingbird, What Light, and War on War

I've always had trouble getting into Joy Division and My Bloody Valentine. Any suggestions?

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 03 May 2015, 23:45

Mrbriggs wrote:I've always had trouble getting into Joy Division... Any suggestions?
Yes, listen to New Order. ;)

Miki

Post by Miki » 04 May 2015, 01:57

Mrbriggs wrote:I don't really listen to Wilco anymore, but I did when I was younger. The songs I remember liking the most are I'm The Man Who Loves You, I Am Trying to Break Your Heart, Hummingbird, What Light, and War on War

I've always had trouble getting into Joy Division and My Bloody Valentine. Any suggestions?
My favourite Wilco song is You and I with Feist.

With My Bloody Valentine... try their earlier stuff. From their mini-album Ecstasy: She Loves You No Less, I Dont Need You; from their EP You Made Me Realise: Drive It All Over Me; their 12" Strawberry Wine and it's B-side Never Say Goodbye.

As for artists recommendations... uhm... I can't really think of people I don't like, unless it's genres like metal that no one will ever persuade me to listen to :lol: ... I guess I never really got into the second wave of American punk, people like Green Day, for example. So yeah, maybe a few good songs by Green Day - apart from American Idiot.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 04 May 2015, 05:07

Mrbriggs wrote:I've always had trouble getting into Joy Division and My Bloody Valentine. Any suggestions?
Joy Division:
Novelty, Warsaw and Day of the Lords

MBV:
Only Tomorrow, Nothing Much to Lose, Blown a Wish

Report back with your impressions :P

Pasta

Post by Pasta » 04 May 2015, 11:41

Rubi wrote:
Mrbriggs wrote:I've always had trouble getting into Joy Division... Any suggestions?
Yes, listen to New Order. ;)
Power corruption and lies and low life > unknown pleasures and closer

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 04 May 2015, 13:55

Bob Dylan. Not the biggest fan of his voice, so any songs sung without his distinctive twang, please help!

And also,
Prince
Gentle Giant
Solo Eric Clapton

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 04 May 2015, 14:33

Mrbriggs wrote:I don't really listen to Wilco anymore, but I did when I was younger. The songs I remember liking the most are I'm The Man Who Loves You, I Am Trying to Break Your Heart, Hummingbird, What Light, and War on War

Thanks, mate. I didn't like any of those songs but at least I tried :mrgreen:
AdvertBreak wrote:Bob Dylan. Not the biggest fan of his voice, so any songs sung without his distinctive twang, please help!

And also,
Prince
Gentle Giant
Solo Eric Clapton
Well, that's difficult to find. Try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x-0aECsy98" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 04 May 2015, 16:21

Mrbriggs wrote: My Bloody Valentine. Any suggestions?
Just listen to Loveless. Take it from there.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 04 May 2015, 16:44

AdvertBreak wrote:Bob Dylan
Try some songs from his new album. "Why Try To Change Me Now" is a beauty. Or "Workingman's Blues #2" from Modern Times. A lot of people say his voice is gone: these songs show that's rubbish.
AdvertBreak wrote:Prince
One of his rarest records, One Nite Alone... (not to be confused with the live boxset of the same name) is his album I keep returning to. Talk about "lost" records: it's one of his best. I wish he'd continued in this direction. Of the eighties records, try Dirty Mind, if only for "Sister", which is probably the filthiest song ever by a mainstream artist: "incest is everything it's said to be", apparently.

Miki

Post by Miki » 04 May 2015, 19:50

I feel invisible on this Forum :|
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 04 May 2015, 19:52

Miki wrote:I feel invisible on this Forum :|
I think it's more that everyone struggles to think of a Green Day song to recommend.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 04 May 2015, 19:55

Miki wrote:As for artists recommendations... uhm... I can't really think of people I don't like, unless it's genres like metal that no one will ever persuade me to listen to :lol: ... I guess I never really got into the second wave of American punk, people like Green Day, for example. So yeah, maybe a few good songs by Green Day - apart from American Idiot.
Maybe start with the more melodic stuff on Warning. It's not particularly punky and Wikipedia puts 'folk punk' as one of its genres. Lyrically its quite embarrassing though. And, although I haven't heard it in a while, I really liked their album Nimrod when I was young, which has quite a few songs in different styles, although it still contains a lot of songs in their classic style.

This is all based on distant song memories though.