13 vs Kid A

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Which album do you like better: Blur's 13 or Radiohead's Kid A?

85%
Kid A
15%

Total votes: 20

Rubi

13 vs Kid A

Post by Rubi » 03 May 2015, 14:57

In the same vein as the Ten vs Nevermind topic we had before, which album do you prefer/think is better? Moreover, which album do you believe represents a more drastic change in direction and music style for the two bands in question?

Personally, I think 13 is a more accomplished album. Whilst I do appreciate Kid A, 13 embodies a sound that you would have never expected from a band like Blur, at least at the time. The production is hypnotic and eerie. Once you get to the second half of the album you truly start appreciating what an ingenious record it is. There are so many elements and layers to it, and each member shines at their respective roles.

As for the second question, I'll have to go with 13 again. The thing is that both records are extremely experimental, and some might argue that 13 is closer to "pop" and "rock" than Kid A, mainly due to the heavier usage of guitars and the structure of some of the songs. But I digress.

I think that, for instance, if you pick some random person who has never heard of either band before, you give to him or her to listen to, say, The Great Escape and The Bends, and afterwards to 13 and Kid A, I'm fairly certain that 13 will leave a greater impression on them in regards to the change in sound and style, as opposed to Kid A.

That's because Radiohead's evolution not only was more gradual, but it was also kind of deep-rooted in their previous works. And whilst Blur's self-titled did represent a sudden shift in direction for the band, it was still a fairly straightforward alt rock album, so when 13 came out, I can only assume most people were left perplexed and surprised at what this band was starting to sound like only 3-4 years after their Britpop peak. I think the change is quite drastic.

Anyway, your thoughts?

TripleJay97

Re: 13 vs Kid A

Post by TripleJay97 » 03 May 2015, 15:17

How fucking dare you make me choose.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 03 May 2015, 15:40

Man up and choose! :D

SeverHense

Post by SeverHense » 03 May 2015, 15:49

13 honestly. I love Kid A too, but find it vastly overrated. Amnesiac was better, imo, anyway.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 03 May 2015, 16:31

I hope nobody hates me for saying this. I love Radiohead and I'm glad that I can see good things in everything they've done, even in Pablo Honey and TKoL. Having said this, I don't think Kid A has stood the test of time that well. It is a great album and has some amazing sounds -How To Disappear Completely may be in my all-time top 10-, but there are some songs which just aren't as good as I remembered them to be. I'm looking at you, Optimistic and Morning Bell.

Production and sound-wise is their most accomplished album, but are the songs theirselves as good as the ones on OK Computer or In Rainbows? I really don't think so and I've never found myself bored while listening to OKC, IR or The Bends. With Kid A, on the other hand...

As for 13, I've already said on this forum that it is my favourite album ever side by side with Pinkerton. Easy vote for me.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 03 May 2015, 16:33

Sorry, Blur forum! I'm gonna have to go with Kid A.

I find everything about this album perfect. The composition, the atmosphere, the artwork, the lyrics, the story behind it, even the promotional material (those blips were tiny little masterpieces). As much as I love 13, it does have it's down points with blander tracks like Trailerpark and songs like No Distance Left to Run, where I really have to be in the right mood to listen to them. With Kid A, I just pop it in the CD player and a whole world appears around me, a world of cynicism and dark beauty that I can relate to immensely. 13 does this, but not quite as much.

I also think Kid A marked the biggest change in the career of the two bands, sounding nothing like any of its predecessors. 13 did this on a smaller scale I feel, adapting from the Pavement-y indie rock sound of the self-titled album.

I still think both of them are 10/10s though.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 03 May 2015, 16:36

TripleJay97 wrote:Sorry, Blur forum! I'm gonna have to go with Kid A.

I find everything about this album perfect. The composition, the atmosphere, the artwork, the lyrics, the story behind it, even the promotional material (those blips were tiny little masterpieces). As much as I love 13, it does have it's down points with blander tracks like Trailerpark and songs like No Distance Left to Run, where I really have to be in the right mood to listen to them. With Kid A, I just pop it in the CD player and a whole world appears around me, a world of cynicism and dark beauty that I can relate to immensely. 13 does this, but not quite as much.

I also think Kid A marked the biggest change in the career of the two bands, sounding nothing like any of its predecessors. 13 did this on a smaller scale I feel, adapting from the Pavement-y indie rock sound of the self-titled album.

Blander tracks like Trailerpark? I'm afraid we can't be friends anymore.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 03 May 2015, 16:39

HAHAHAHA!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: My two favourite albums ever!!!! :lol: and they have been since 2009/10, so if I haven't been able to choose for that long, I'm not now! :P

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 03 May 2015, 16:41

Lt Pinkerton wrote:
TripleJay97 wrote:Sorry, Blur forum! I'm gonna have to go with Kid A.

Blander tracks like Trailerpark? I'm afraid we can't be friends anymore.
I loved it at first, the instrumental chorus is wonderful. But after all these years, the vocals/lyrics grind on me a bit.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 03 May 2015, 16:46

I love Trailerpark. And NDLTR is a perfect closer before Optigan 1. 13 is a flawless record for me, I wouldn't change a single thing about it.

As for Kid A, there are three songs I don't really care about, namely the title-track, Treefingers and Motion Picture Soundtrack. And for an album of ten tracks, that's nearly 1/3.

Pasta

Post by Pasta » 03 May 2015, 16:50

13 v Kid A? For me 13 easily

13 v OK Computer? That would be difficult

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 03 May 2015, 16:52

Pasta wrote:13 v Kid A? For me 13 easily

I would compare OK Computer more to the self-titled. They're both alt rock albums at their core.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 03 May 2015, 16:56

Rubi wrote:I love Trailerpark. And NDLTR is a perfect closer before Optigan 1. 13 is a flawless record for me, I wouldn't change a single thing about it.

As for Kid A, there are three songs I don't really care about, namely the title-track, Treefingers and Motion Picture Soundtrack. And for an album of ten tracks, that's nearly 1/3.
Oh, I absolutely adore the title track. That bootleg version that goes by the name of Kid A Megamix is stunning.

Pasta

Post by Pasta » 03 May 2015, 16:57

Rubi wrote:
Pasta wrote:13 v Kid A? For me 13 easily

I would compare OK Computer more to the self-titled. They're both alt rock albums at their core.
Equally difficult for me anyway

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 03 May 2015, 16:57

kid a has one vote

take that thom
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners