Grateful Dead Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

KingLouieLouie76

Grateful Dead Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Apr 2015, 01:31

Any "Dead Heads" on here? I just love them! Jerry Garcia was amazing and always will be..along w/the remainder of the band!

tom_cas1

Re: Grateful Dead Thread

Post by tom_cas1 » 19 Mar 2016, 22:27

The past few days I've found myself balls deep in Grateful Dead live bootlegs, great stuff. Currently listening to the February 11th, 13th and 14th 1970 shows they played at Fillmore East. I'll be the first to admit though that I'm not a hardcore fan, although I've wanted to be for some time now. I guess I find their studio albums a little difficult to get into for some reason, not sure why. The live bootlegs are a different beast though, right up my street. I love extended jams.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 20 Mar 2016, 00:14

tom_cas1 wrote:The past few days I've found myself balls deep in Grateful Dead live bootlegs, great stuff. Currently listening to the February 11th, 13th and 14th 1970 shows they played at Fillmore East. I'll be the first to admit though that I'm not a hardcore fan, although I've wanted to be for some time now. I guess I find their studio albums a little difficult to get into for some reason, not sure why. The live bootlegs are a different beast though, right up my street. I love extended jams.

I unfortunately never saw them live myself, but that is what they're essentially known for (their live act). It was a happening to see them live... In fact...they once jammed w/the Beach Boys on 4/27/71 at the Fillmore East and it's a wonderful listening experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X1fl2kc3mM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Initially, the crowd wasn't completely receptive that the Beach Boys were going to join them on stage, but then they gradually earned the audience's respect with how they sounded.....

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 20 Mar 2016, 23:07

^ I'll give it a listen!

I'm currently thoroughly enjoying their 1969-1971 period. Right now I'm listening to a great recording of their show at the Civic Auditorium in Santa Barbara on the 17th January 1969, fantastic stuff. Dark Star is exquisite, beautiful in every sense of the work. You just don't get music like this anymore!

I've heard their shows at Winterland in 1977 are some of the best they ever played. I only have (right now at least) bootlegs from 1968-1971, are their later periods good too?
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 20 Mar 2016, 23:34

I've tried & tried to get into them for the past 20 years. I like most of the songs on their Greatest Hits & like their album American Beauty & even love their song Shakedown Street (the Dead does Disco) but other than that, I just can't seem to get into them. I've tried to listen to a few of their live shows but usually get bored with them after a while. They're one of those bands that I really would love to be into but I'm just not.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 21 Mar 2016, 01:07

MsMagicAmerica wrote:I've tried & tried to get into them for the past 20 years. I like most of the songs on their Greatest Hits & like their album American Beauty & even love their song Shakedown Street (the Dead does Disco) but other than that, I just can't seem to get into them. I've tried to listen to a few of their live shows but usually get bored with them after a while. They're one of those bands that I really would love to be into but I'm just not.

Yeah, I was mixed on them for years myself, straddling the fence. But, one day it all made perfect sense to me how brilliant they were. Again, I unfortunately never saw them live, but my oldest sis and bro-in-law did quite a bit in the early-mid 90s and they were awestruck. Garcia passed in August of '95 and I probably would have finally saw them live myself if he hadn't. He is such an underrated guitarist and vocalist.

To answer your question, tom_cas1, I prefer their mid 60s-early 70s material, mainly because of original member, the late Ron "Pigpen" McKernan (who passed away in March '73 at 27 y/o) because his vocals countered Jerry's perfectly and he was a wonderful keyboardists. Their later periods were brilliant, but not equal to the earlier "Dead", but that's just my opinion. They had their only top-40 hit in '87 with a "Touch of Grey" but that is probably their most pop-oriented effort, but still stellar!

It's just my constant refrain, they had to be seen live to fully appreciate and I wish I could go back in time machine to experience that!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 20 Apr 2016, 17:26

I turned my attention to Jerry Garcia's solo albums, most notably Compliments from 1974 which is AWESOME!! Listening to it right now. Very very cool. A lot more refined than any of the Dead's albums, at least that's my opinion anyway. More polished sounding too in terms of production. Incredible album and I'm only half way through listening to it for the first time. I can tell this will be a new favourite of mine.

I love the album cover too which suits the music perfectly:

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 20 Apr 2016, 23:36

tom_cas1 wrote:I turned my attention to Jerry Garcia's solo albums, most notably Compliments from 1974 which is AWESOME!! Listening to it right now. Very very cool. A lot more refined than any of the Dead's albums, at least that's my opinion anyway. More polished sounding too in terms of production. Incredible album and I'm only half way through listening to it for the first time. I can tell this will be a new favourite of mine.

I love the album cover too which suits the music perfectly:

I've honestly never checked that out before and I must since we share the same excellent taste!

Oh.. Jerry Garcia trivia... he played lead-guitar on a couple of Jefferson Airplane's "Surrealistic Pillow" tracks, most prominently on the following tune.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uokp0aEiT-A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;