Bands who you prefer to Blur

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

He's So High

Re: Bands who you prefer to Blur

Post by He's So High » 15 Apr 2015, 19:55

sebastianZeal wrote:Blur are number 1.

I do like Jamie T, David Bowie, The Cure, The Clash, New Order, The Kinks etc, but Blur are #1 without a doubt.
Ooh Joy Division/New Order is a good shout. Maybe equal with Blur for me.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 15 Apr 2015, 20:21

The Cure and The Smiths might also share the #1 spot for me with Blur and Radiohead. Should probably think about it thoughtfully.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 15 Apr 2015, 21:25

Well, Blur are definitely my top 1 band of all time, but I have to admit that I'm yet to find any music that's more appealing to me than everything Weezer released from 1994 to 1996. 13 and Pinkerton are easily my fave albums ever.

Then I've had phases, like everyone I guess. I was obsessed with Radiohead for a couple of years, but I guess I fail to connect with the members of the band (well, Thom Yorke) on an emotional/personal level, which I think it's key if you're going to be a true fan. Same with The Smiths, although they were soooo good that I've become a Morrissey apologist even if he's obviously loathsome and dull.

Legless Owl

Post by Legless Owl » 15 Apr 2015, 23:16

When Blur started to be famous in France, the Beatles had already stolen my heart and my ears and tbh I was too busy with them and other "old" bands (Kinks, Manfred Mann, Herman's hermits, Small faces...etc) that I didn't really pay attention to "modern" music. I remember I enjoyed Blur's biggest hits but I was just happy to watch their music videos when they were on TV - I remember watching a couple of French shows they were on too-, or listened to them on the radio (and enjoyed their pics in magazines! Hey, I was a teen huh :mrgreen: ) Didn't buy the albums at the time.

It's only years later that I got into Graham's solo stuff, which lead me to (re)discover Blur.

The Beatles are still my #1 but Blur are my second favourite band. Yet I prefer Graham's solo music to Blur's (but you said "bands" sooooo)

Other artists I love are the Kinks, Manfred Mann, Bob Dylan, The Smiths, Elliott Smith, Eels, Ocean Colour Scene, Beirut.... etc etc. But they come after Blur.

Mrbriggs

Post by Mrbriggs » 16 Apr 2015, 03:44

The only band I like as much as Blur is The Beatles. They were the first music I really liked, I've been listening to them since I was a little kid. Still not sure whether I prefer The Beatles or Blur, it might be about tied for me. There's a lot of other bands with music that I like a ton, but none where I really became interested in the members as much as with these two bands.

munch

Post by munch » 16 Apr 2015, 07:51

elasticaman wrote:
He's So High wrote:Hmm I think only Belle and Sebastian or R.E.M. would rival Blur as my favourite band.

Ironic that one of your other favourites elasticaman is Mogwai!

yeah... 1999s "Blur Are Shite" debacle had me stuck between a rock and a hard place for sure
tho if i come at blur from mogwais angle... then i can see their point, tho i obviously dont agree, and thought it was a strange band to take aim with, there were plenty of way more obviously shite bands at that time
As i grew up in Australia I was unaware mostly of the oasis vs blur thing so ended liking liking both. Though Blur bounded ahead with their variation and Oasis pretty much stayed doing the same thing.

I really like The Beatles and Radiohead. As well as.... Camera Obscura, Lykke Li, Chvrches, Chris Singleton, Eskimo Joe, Ween, Jhene Aiko, The Smiths, Norman Wisdom... haha, RHCP, Sophie Ellis-Bextor, San Cisco, The Smiths, The Wiggles, Jet, The Stone Roses, Brave Young God, Birdy, Some Coldplay and U2 Eliza Doolittle and Charli XCX
Yes I did go through my ipod for that and YES I AM INTO SOME EMBARRASSING MUSIC LEAVE ME ALONE

Mostly though my music is Blur, Gorillaz, Damon and Graham.
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 16 Apr 2015, 08:12

Oddly I only have one #1 band. My list of #2 bands goes on infinitely.

Jensen

Post by Jensen » 16 Apr 2015, 10:21

TripleJay97 wrote:Oddly I only have one #1 band. My list of #2 bands goes on infinitely.
This very much.

And #1 for me are Blur. I know they are not perfect (well, I think no band is) and they are not THE BEST, but they are my favourite. I've had other musical obsessions, of course, but the fondness I feel everytime I see anything related to Blur is unique.

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 16 Apr 2015, 10:26

Blur, The Beatles and DEVO are in a constant state of flux for me.
Blur's in the lead right now, obviously.

Rosie

Post by Rosie » 17 Apr 2015, 09:43

Jensen wrote:
TripleJay97 wrote:Oddly I only have one #1 band. My list of #2 bands goes on infinitely.
This very much.

And #1 for me are Blur. I know they are not perfect (well, I think no band is) and they are not THE BEST, but they are my favourite. I've had other musical obsessions, of course, but the fondness I feel everytime I see anything related to Blur is unique.
Same for me. I like a lot of other music (now it's Beck, Sufjan Stevens, PJ Harvey, Pavement etc. but it's always changing and increasing) but no one band it's so close to my heart, for the music and for the member personality. I'm never tired to listen to Blur or Damon's other works.
I remember the first time I saw a Blur's video (Parklife): I was striked because i found them so "strange" and so "London", two things that I like a lot. And so, I started to listen to them and I was amazed that i continued to discover a song better than another one. I've never been so moved by any other band.
The only thing I'm disappointed with, it's that for strange reasons I've discovered them only so late in my life. But luckily, now has come a time in which I can properly enjoy them! :D :D :D :D

paradiseblues

Post by paradiseblues » 15 Jun 2015, 22:19

Blur have moved back up the rankings in recent months, but I definitely prefer Eels, Bob Dylan, Elliott Smith, Jon Brion (esp. his solo album)... and possibly Sparklehorse, although they have more bad songs than Blur do, and they're waaay less fun to sing along with! :)

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 15 Jun 2015, 22:27

Blur are one of only three genuinely brilliant pop groups of the last 50 years.
The other two are The Smiths and Abba.

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 15 Jun 2015, 23:21

Guided By Voices
Sebadoh
Mission Of Burma
My Bloody Valentine
Tiger Trap
etc.

Actually, I prefer a lot of bands to Blur. Not to say I dislike Blur, I just like a lot of bands.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

looper007

Post by looper007 » 16 Jun 2015, 03:11

I don't have many to be honest

The Clash
Arctic Monkeys
The Beatles
The Stone Roses
Oasis (94-97)

But Blur are up there with them.

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 16 Jun 2015, 09:31

101reykjavik wrote:
JAIME wrote:Blur and The Beatles share the #1 in my book. 8-)
Me too. :D
Me Three! :D
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”