Post by elasticaman » 14 Apr 2015, 22:45

i'd assume that not everyone here holds blur as their number 1 band of all time
so i wonder who you hold above them

a couple for me would be

Pixies, Mogwai, The Strokes

dparrott

Re: Bands who you prefer to Blur

Post by dparrott » 14 Apr 2015, 23:01

None. Straight up. They've been my favorite band since 1991. I have listened to their music more than anyone else's and I have more of their releases than of anyone else. The only band that has come close to taking my #1 spot is Warpaint, and I am not as crazy about their last album.

Sean

Post by Sean » 14 Apr 2015, 23:13

Blur are my favourite band but I don't think they're the best band of all time.
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS

Miki

Post by Miki » 14 Apr 2015, 23:14

Beck is my #1, really.

But apart from him all my other favourites are kind of equal, including Blur. So they are #2, but in joint position with The Beatles, The Stone Roses, REM...

I don't do "best...whatever... of all time". I find it a nonsensical notion.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » 14 Apr 2015, 23:18

Dan Kelly. Jamie T. Radiohead.

elasticaman

Post by elasticaman » 14 Apr 2015, 23:25

dparrott wrote:None. Straight up. They've been my favorite band since 1991. I have listened to their music more than anyone else's and I have more of their releases than of anyone else. The only band that has come close to taking my #1 spot is Warpaint, and I am not as crazy about their last album.

in that sense thers no band i've ever been as fanatical about thats for sure
but there are definitely bands who have made better record /music that has excited me more

not to diminish the importance of blur as one of my favourite bands / for making some of my favourite albums in anyway
im still excited to hear them or see them and will always be interested in what they do, in a way that i wouldnt respond with any other band

but there really are records / discographies that i enjoy more

Miki

Post by Miki » 14 Apr 2015, 23:48

There are a few things that draw me to artists/bands. One is obviously the quality of the music (and the lyrics) and how it speaks to me. Another is the personality of the artist/band members, how they come across, if they have an interesting background, fascinating insights and points of view, humour etc... Then there's the catalogue. Artists with large catalogues fascinate me, make me want to know more, dig deep into rarities, live performances etc etc (and of course live performances themselves are a plus when there is variety, theatre, something different that makes single shows memorable). Finally there's artistry itself. I love artists that do more than just record, promote, tour. Maybe they have side projects that are completely different from their "day job", experiment with other media or musical genres.

Beck covers all those aspects in abundance and that's why I love him so much. Blur as a band are not as prolific, but when you look at them as individuals, then there's a very interesting and kaleidoscopic array of releases, ventures, projects - especially on Damon's side. I admire him for stretching himself and venturing into World music, opera, hip-hop. In that he and Beck are similar kind of artists.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 15 Apr 2015, 00:10

No-one. I started listening to Gorillaz when I was 12, and I was eventually introduced to Blur in 2003. They've been my favorite band ever since. No other artist has ever come close. I rate their discography as nearly perfect. Not a single bad album, only a handful of songs I dislike. Not to mention my attachment to the members and the band's history, something I don't really have with all my other favorite artists, despite how much I might love their music.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 15 Apr 2015, 00:12

Blur are pretty much #1 but they might be joint first place with Radiohead

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 15 Apr 2015, 06:12

Blur have been my #1 for years. I just don't see what more you could ask for in a band.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 15 Apr 2015, 07:51

I was first introduced to Buddy Holly when I was 3, then subsequently the Beatles, the Kinks, the Beach Boys, and the Who (not in that order)....I was already 17 when I initially discovered Blur (in '94), so it is awfully difficult for me to have Blur catapult ahead of those aforementioned 5 performers, but they all rank so close together though!

munch

Post by munch » 15 Apr 2015, 11:18

Based on the time I watch/listen to Blur I'm think they are probably my fave

When I was a kid I only listened to Mozart for some reason. I think I was against popular music or something. Then I discovered Blur and everything went upside down. From the stem of Blur and then eventually Gorillaz I've gone on to enjoy plenty of other types of music. But with Blur at the Core.
<3
Mr ( ͡° ͜- ͡°) K
https://www.facebook.com/Blur2Australia
My animated I Broadcast submission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHRqhEDr70M
I'm country sad
I'm a ballad man

He's So High

Post by He's So High » 15 Apr 2015, 11:53

Hmm I think only Belle and Sebastian or R.E.M. would rival Blur as my favourite band.

Ironic that one of your other favourites elasticaman is Mogwai!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 15 Apr 2015, 13:39

I saw that people were laughed at in another thread for saying Blur aren't their favourite band. Pathetic really, almost like they have to be your #1 for you to be a member here. Same happened with me on the old forum. But anyway I probably have two bands that are ahead of Blur for me.

Derek and the Dominos
The Beatles

Then I've got The Allman Brothers Band but the 1969-1971 Duane Allman period, so I'd count Blur (their entire career) just ahead. Although it's a close one.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 15 Apr 2015, 13:41

tom_cas1 wrote:I saw that people were laughed at in another thread for saying Blur aren't their favourite band. Pathetic really, almost like they have to be your #1 for you to be a member here. Same happened with me on the old forum. But anyway I probably have two bands that are ahead of Blur for me.

Derek and the Dominos
The Beatles

Then I've got The Allman Brothers Band but the 1969-1971 Duane Allman period, so I'd count Blur (their entire career) just ahead. Although it's a close one.
My hilarious joke (which everyone loves) when I see someone say they like Allman Brothers is to mock them by replying "Allman Brothers? Prrfft! Eat a peach!".

FTR I really like them.