Nevermind vs Ten

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Which album do you like better: Nirvana's Nevermind or Pearl Jam's Ten?

Nevermind
60%
Ten
40%

Total votes: 10

Rubi

Nevermind vs Ten

Post by Rubi » 12 Apr 2015, 09:59

I thought we could have topics like this, where we discuss era-defining records between two artists, or albums that are similar in nature or share common elements.

Nirvana's Nevermind is without a doubt one of the most important albums not only of the grunge scene, but of all time. However, as much as I enjoy it, I rate Ten higher. It probably has to do with the fact that I like Pearl Jam better, but I truly consider it a remarkable album. Songs like Alive, Jeremy, Even Flow and Black hold legendary status in my book. Definitely one of the best debut albums released by any band.

Thoughts? Does anyone even like Pearl Jam here? I know that grunge isn't very popular among Blur fans. :D

Caitlin

Re: Nevermind vs Ten

Post by Caitlin » 12 Apr 2015, 10:32

Ten is special to me. Released a month before I was born, my mum LOVED it. Seriously, Ten is the soundtrack to my childhood. As a three year old I could sing along to most of it. Great, lovely, solid album that I still listen to 23 years on.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 12 Apr 2015, 10:35

Ten, definitely. It's got it's own distinctive style, incorporating different elements of genres, while Nirvana rip off the Pixies. And while there's nothing wrong with that, it's just not to my taste all the time.

NEXT: Parklife VS Definitely Maybe ;)

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 12 Apr 2015, 12:57

I can't decide :P

Nevermind reminds me of being 8 years old, Ten is better sounding, musically at least.

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 12 Apr 2015, 20:24

Nevermind, absolutely.

I loved both at the time, but Nevermind was the one that felt different, heavier, more important, whereas Ten was classic rock, the record your middle-aged mum could appreciate... Nevermind was my generation's. I'll still listen to it over Ten any day... and then there was In Utero vs Vs in '93, and it wasn't even funny how much more interesting Nirvana were.

Now, Alice In Chain's Jar Of Flies on the other hand.. fuck what a record that is. Maybe my favourite to come out of that scene.

DrSleepless

Post by DrSleepless » 13 Apr 2015, 03:40

Anybody who says Nevermind is a rip off of Pixies either doesn't listen to a lot of Pixies or hasn't heard Nevermind. Sure it's got the loud-quiet- loud thing but Dinosaur Jr was doing that around the time of Pixies as well.

Back on topic Nevermind is my pick although I think they are both quite good and have aged fairly well, Nevermind has sentimental value to me because my best friend introduced me to it.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 13 Apr 2015, 03:45

DrSleepless wrote:Anybody who says Nevermind is a rip off of Pixies either doesn't listen to a lot of Pixies or hasn't heard Nevermind.
I've done both of these things :lol:

Interesting that we have a tie so far!