Talk Talk Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Re: Talk Talk Thread

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 14 May 2015, 09:15

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Emerging separately, blues, folk and country went on to have influence, and became a part of, 60s music after The Beatles explosion.

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:Who will be the next Beatles? That's what everyone is wondering.. Not like I mean in terms of specifically compared to the Beatles...but the next innovators who will salvage music and have that sustaining impact....?

In this vein, is the announcement that 'American Idol' is to end next year significant?

This genre has dominated music (in the USA, UK, everywhere.... :roll: ) for the past fifteen years. And has put the bland into the centre of public consciousness.

:idea: Maybe it is not so much that we await 'a great new artist', but the fact that this generic genre is to go, clears the way for a different scene. And hopefully a more creative one that succeeds on its own organic terms.

Or am I being a dreamer....? :mrgreen:

I didn't know about American Idol is ending! Awesome! I believe you are being a dreamer.... I just don't believe any sustaining new genre will evolve..... It seems technology has all about ruined it opposed to being a major boon!
KingLouieLouie76

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 16 May 2015, 07:09

That is what I suspect.

Corporate life will probably dictate it anyway, whatever happens. :x
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."
Mallard No. 22

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 16 May 2015, 17:10

Mallard No. 22 wrote:That is what I suspect.

Corporate life will probably dictate it anyway, whatever happens. :x

Agreed...it's been that way for the past 20-years...what's going to suddenly change that? It would have to be some radical extreme musical movement, but unfortunately there are no complete unified fronts anymore for that to ever happen again!
KingLouieLouie76

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 18 May 2015, 07:05

Music has become entwined with other strands of life. It does not exist on its own terms.

Maybe only an unforeseen event that destabilised corporate globalism could totally re-invigorate music to stand on its own?

E.g. 'the Rock Era' (mid 50s - mid 80s) and all that it brought (rock n roll, beat boom, heavy rock, new wave, synth pop etc) was a consequence of the UK (& Europe, USA) emerging from the aftermath of World War Two.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."
Mallard No. 22

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 19 May 2015, 08:00

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Music has become entwined with other strands of life. It does not exist on its own terms.

Maybe only an unforeseen event that destabilised corporate globalism could totally re-invigorate music to stand on its own?

E.g. 'the Rock Era' (mid 50s - mid 80s) and all that it brought (rock n roll, beat boom, heavy rock, new wave, synth pop etc) was a consequence of the UK (& Europe, USA) emerging from the aftermath of World War Two.

I thought 9/11 here in the States could have lead to that w/the Middle Wars...It influenced quite a few bands, but that wasn't completely sustained...

It will have to be something underground that evolves..or perhaps something even more scaled-back, lo-fi....vintage....
KingLouieLouie76

Postby Sean » 19 May 2015, 20:01

Any fans of latter period Talk Talk / Mark Hollis I'm sure will love the new Lone Wolf album 'Lodge'. It has all of the Hollis hallmarks....very beautiful and sparse. It's a really great record, and he deserves a bigger audience (he is on his arse financially).
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS
Sean

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 20 May 2015, 07:10

Sean wrote:Any fans of latter period Talk Talk / Mark Hollis I'm sure will love the new Lone Wolf album 'Lodge'. It has all of the Hollis hallmarks....very beautiful and sparse. It's a really great record, and he deserves a bigger audience (he is on his arse financially).

Thanks for the recommendation.... Have you ever listened to Gomez?
KingLouieLouie76

Postby Sean » 20 May 2015, 12:36

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
Sean wrote:Any fans of latter period Talk Talk / Mark Hollis I'm sure will love the new Lone Wolf album 'Lodge'. It has all of the Hollis hallmarks....very beautiful and sparse. It's a really great record, and he deserves a bigger audience (he is on his arse financially).

Haha :mrgreen: ....er...yeah....Ben Ottewell grew up near me and is mates with some of my friends. I always hated them and in particular his fake voice.
Sean

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 21 May 2015, 08:24

Sean wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:

Haha :mrgreen: ....er...yeah....Ben Ottewell grew up near me and is mates with some of my friends. I always hated them and in particular his fake voice.

I actually love his voice, but we're obviously entitled to our own opinion...What is he like as a person?
KingLouieLouie76

Postby Sean » 21 May 2015, 15:53

Very nice and down to earth...you wouldn't know he was a bit of a pop star. Well he's not really is he, but yeah. Nice lad.
Sean

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 22 May 2015, 11:49

Sean wrote:Very nice and down to earth...you wouldn't know he was a bit of a pop star. Well he's not really is he, but yeah. Nice lad.

That's awesome though...... I've seem them in concert twice (both times in small venues) and they seemed like a solid bunch of individuals.....

Going back to Talk Talk...how did all of you become interested in them in the first place? For me it was just seeing them on MTV all throughout the 80s.....
KingLouieLouie76

Postby AdvertBreak » 14 Jun 2015, 02:06

I love how I always set out to play a few songs from The Colour of Spring but end up playing the entire thing. Like just then for the umpteenth time. 8-)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~chemical_think_tank
AdvertBreak

PreviousNext

Return to Music Is My Radar