The Housemartins / Beautiful South

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Neal Zeal

Re: The Housemartins / Beautiful South

Post by Neal Zeal » 09 Dec 2015, 14:47

Anyone got P Heaton and J Abbott's new album? I bought the first one last year but was really underwhelmed.
Nothing was up there with the quality of prime-time BS.
Am guessing the new one is more of the same although I really liked the single (Austerity of Love).

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 11 Dec 2015, 08:44

AdvertBreak wrote:And I agree with The Lighting Seeds comparison. It's hard to properly describe their sound as a one-man band. Life of Riley, Marvellous and the like all sound a bit electronic and yet its obviously not dance music and, as you say, within the indie-ethos.
Songs like Pure, Life Of Riley and Sense were a breath of fresh air. The album 'Sense' was great as well (I've dug it out again recently) but it was not very well noticed at the time. I think that, like Modern Life Is Rubbish, it was regarded as a bemusing throwback to earlier times, rather than a pointer to the way ahead.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 13 Dec 2015, 01:26

They do sound of their time, but still very good unlike the more slickly produced stuff of the time. For example, sticking Life of Riley in a sea of Stars-era Simply Red and one hit wonders like Shakespear's Sister and Charles and Eddie will both make it sound of the same era, and yet stick out very much so as not quite as dated somehow (and also as the best track :lol: )

They're still unappreciated today, sadly. Listening to Marvellous and having to wait through 2 minutes of a warpy synth for the song to begin is still as exciting as it was first time round, even if the song itself isn't their best. 1999's Tilt is a good album, although I've only heard it a few times. I'd bet it would stand up quite well today.

Pasta

Post by Pasta » 13 Dec 2015, 18:58

i bought 0898 beautiful south in a second hand record shop for £2 after being big fan of the two housemartins albums for a while yesterday, i will report back on what i think

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 13 Dec 2015, 19:33

Although that isn't most people's favourite, it is my favourite 8-)

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 15 Dec 2015, 08:18

AdvertBreak wrote:They do sound of their time, but still very good unlike the more slickly produced stuff of the time. For example, sticking Life of Riley in a sea of Stars-era Simply Red and one hit wonders like Shakespear's Sister and Charles and Eddie will both make it sound of the same era, and yet stick out very much so as not quite as dated somehow (and also as the best track :lol: )
Probably viewed from now they seem 'of that time'. But at that time, they were not typical and I think regarded as a throwback. The low chart placings of the album 'Sense' and its hit singles seems ridiculous now. But a full appreciation of 'retro' had yet to really emerge. If that album had appeared at the height of Britpop I think it would have been a huge hit.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 24 Dec 2015, 14:39

Ironic then that they became a proper band with a more indie-sound during the Britpop heights. Perhaps that's why they were never much of a success. Dizzy Heights isn't the most distinguishable album in the Britpop whirlwind [pun intended], unlike the 'Lightning Seeds sound' of their previous albums.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 07 Mar 2016, 15:08

I rewrote the page for 0898

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0898_Beautiful_South" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 10 Mar 2016, 08:53

AdvertBreak made me listen to 0898 and I was well impressed. Some great British quirk pop on there!

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 10 Mar 2016, 18:49

TripleJay97 wrote:AdvertBreak made me listen to 0898 and I was well impressed. Some great British quirk pop on there!
Glad you liked it! :) Agreed. It's a very British album. Paul Heaton is a king of cynical yet humorous wit.