The Specials thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

JAIME

The Specials thread

Post by JAIME » 17 Mar 2015, 12:54

Full show in Santiago, Chile (March 15th):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLlQGo9Hh6o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AdvertBreak

Re: The Specials thread

Post by AdvertBreak » 17 Mar 2015, 14:37

Love them, a nostalgic favourite and my second favourite 2 Tone band next to The Beat. My dad has Walt Jabsco on his scooter.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 18 Mar 2015, 07:21

I've always loved them!

Any of you (or anyone else) happen to ever get interested in Fun Boy 3?

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 18 Mar 2015, 07:28

FB3 had good chart singles as well.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 18 Mar 2015, 21:38

Mallard No. 22 wrote:FB3 had good chart singles as well.

Yeah, but their collaborations w/Bananarama were quite dreadful for the most part!

Pasta

Post by Pasta » 19 Mar 2015, 15:42

seeing the specials soon, very excited

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 25 Mar 2015, 07:20

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:

Yeah, but their collaborations w/Bananarama were quite dreadful for the most part!
:P Forgot about them - definitely in Bananarama, rather than Specials, mode :)

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 25 Mar 2015, 13:19

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:

:P Forgot about them - definitely in Bananarama, rather than Specials, mode :)
Our Lips are Sealed is a great song. Wasn't that co-written with Jane Wiedlin? Pretty poppy stuff, but none the worse for that.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 25 Mar 2015, 13:46

The Lunatics is their best single imo, though I might prefer Ade Edmondson/Bad Shepherd's cover version.

Also is there any interest in a Selecter thread? I'd more than up to make it if anyone's interested

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 27 Mar 2015, 15:52

101reykjavik wrote:Our Lips are Sealed is a great song. Wasn't that co-written with Jane Wiedlin? Pretty poppy stuff, but none the worse for that.
Terry and Jane had an affair while the Specials and the Go-Gos toured together. Terry sent Jane a tape with the basis of the song and Jane contributed I believe most of the lyrics....Then FB3 released their version nearly 1-2 years after the Go-Gos version scored them a major hit...... I always loved this live FB3 version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqQT3oKA3v8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 27 Mar 2015, 17:46

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
101reykjavik wrote:Our Lips are Sealed is a great song. Wasn't that co-written with Jane Wiedlin? Pretty poppy stuff, but none the worse for that.
Terry and Jane had an affair while the Specials and the Go-Gos toured together. Terry sent Jane a tape with the basis of the song and Jane contributed I believe most of the lyrics....Then FB3 released their version nearly 1-2 years after the Go-Gos version scored them a major hit...... I always loved this live FB3 version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqQT3oKA3v8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ah, yes. I knew they had gone out for a while, but didn't know the details. Thanks! It's only the FB3 version which is even known in the UK, despite it being the (much) later release.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 29 Mar 2015, 07:06

I like the Go-Gos version, which was only a minor hit in the UK (albeit before FB3s version).

At this same time, FB3 were having their hits with Bananarama which seem like novelty songs in comparison.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 03 Apr 2015, 08:00

I love the contrast in both "Our Lips Are Sealed" versions. The Go-Gos are so upbeat w/theirs...while FB3 is very ominous in theirs.

I noticed in the current edition of "Mojo" on how Dammers feels betrayed by the rest of the Specials? That's unfortunate.... to me the recent Specials reunions haven't meant much w/out his presence....I wish though he would join the group in a one-off performance (also featuring Neville) before Neville's declining health really worsens. I compare their situation w/the Stranglers on how of course Hugh left years ago and Jet Black's ill health has prevented him from regularly touring. I wish they would come to their respective senses before it's too late.. it's a shame to allow such trivial differences keep them all apart!

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 03 Apr 2015, 08:21

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:I love the contrast in both "Our Lips Are Sealed" versions. The Go-Gos are so upbeat w/theirs...while FB3 is very ominous in theirs.

I noticed in the current edition of "Mojo" on how Dammers feels betrayed by the rest of the Specials? That's unfortunate.... to me the recent Specials reunions haven't meant much w/out his presence....I wish though he would join the group in a one-off performance (also featuring Neville) before Neville's declining health really worsens. I compare their situation w/the Stranglers on how of course Hugh left years ago and Jet Black's ill health has prevented him from regularly touring. I wish they would come to their respective senses before it's too late.. it's a shame to allow such trivial differences keep them all apart!
Reminds me of what Damon says in the new Mojo too, that you grow up and realise what you had and how you shouldn't throw away realtionships. I know all these individuals are different with varying circumstances, but when you've been in a special group, it seems such a waste they can't reconcile.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 03 Apr 2015, 17:45

101reykjavik wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:I love the contrast in both "Our Lips Are Sealed" versions. The Go-Gos are so upbeat w/theirs...while FB3 is very ominous in theirs.

Reminds me of what Damon says in the new Mojo too, that you grow up and realise what you had and how you shouldn't throw away realtionships. I know all these individuals are different with varying circumstances, but when you've been in a special group, it seems such a waste they can't reconcile.

It's refreshing Damon said that....There is a reoccurring theme of most of the bands we discuss on here. Take for example, Cream. Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker didn't get along well for years (which cost them) and then Clapton and Baker suddenly weren't on best of terms just prior to Bruce's recent passing. Then, look at the Kinks as well...they could have reunited w/original bassist, Pete Quaife several times, but Dave Davies never can reconcile his differences w/drummer Mick Avory and Quaife since passed-away. Also, look at the Clash and even the Beatles as well.