Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

TripleJay97

Re: Songs which sound like other genres

Post by TripleJay97 » 28 Jan 2016, 08:28

Every Ween song ever.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 28 Jan 2016, 10:08

Ween - Molly (My Life in the Bush of Ghosts meets Mort Garson meets '78-'82 era Cabaret Voltaire)
Ween - Big Jilm (half of what makes Blur)
Ween - Mourning Glory (no wave, Revolution 9 meets Sonic Youth)
Ween - a few off Quebec (space rock, Pink Floyd)

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 28 Jan 2016, 12:35

Ween - Don't Get 2 Close 2 My Fantasy (Glam Rock, David Bowie)
Ween - Voodoo Lady (Funk)

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 28 Jan 2016, 12:50

David Bowie - African Night Flight (experimental hip hop)
David Bowie - Pallas Athena (genreless dark housey jazzy brilliant thing)
The Stone Roses - Don't Stop (dream pop, ethereal wave without the gothic vibes)
The Clash - Mensforth Hill (dream pop)
Captain D.J. - Disco UFO (techno)
Donna Summer - I Feel Love (techno)
Peatbog Faeries - Veganites (genreless rubbery funk house techno brilliant thing)
Peatbog Faeries - Fear Eile (alternative rock)
Super Furry Animals - The Door to This House Remains Open (drum and bass)
Super Furry Animals - Golden Retriever (glam rock)
The Paperboys - Oh Maria (third wave ska plus Celtic)

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 29 Jan 2016, 17:16

Peatbog Faeries - Lexy MacAskill (space rock, mystical, Pink Floyd)
Peatbog Faeries - Eigg Man (Pink Floyd)
Peatbog Faeries - Mellowosity (dub, proper good funk/dub bassline, like seriously)
Peatbog Faeries - The Folk Police (trance, except good)
Peatbog Faeries - Captain Coull's Parrot, Faerie Stories (dubtronica)
Peatbog Faeries - Martin Roachford's, Caberdrone, Veganites (all different, unnamed electronic genres)
Peatbog Faeries - Alexander MacAskill (African Celtic dub electronica)
Peatbog Faeries - Fear Eile (alternative experimental rock)
Peatbog Faeries - Welcome to Dun Vegas (experimental dub, and what I like to call wonky music)

That's just some of the first three albums.

All with added Celtic.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 29 Jan 2016, 23:31

Devo always intrigues me under what "umbrella" they fit under... especially here w/their well known cover of "I Just Can't No Satisfaction" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jadvt7CbH1o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It could be considered punk, electronica (most of their songs), "New Wave" feel overall..... Just covers several genres....

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 22 Feb 2016, 22:06

The Cure - Never Enough
The Beautiful South - Hooligans Don't Fall in Love

Those songs also sound like Madchester/baggy

I'm sure we know plenty of other examples, so far we have 6, enough for an "alternative Madchester" EP :P
1. The Cure - Never Enough
2. The Beautiful South - Hooligans Don't Fall in Love
3. George Michael - Freedom '90
4. U2 - Mysterious Ways
5. My Bloody Valentine - Soon
6. Jim Bowen - Jim Bowen Rap

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 27 Feb 2016, 08:22

AdvertBreak wrote:I'd say that some were popular in the peak of a genre. For example the aforementioned Loads-a-mone! and Pump Up the Bitter were both 1987/88 and sample-based house music was still huge in that era.

The KLF (Timelords)' Doctorin' the Tardis from the year before was essentially the kings of underground sample-based house making a deliberately cliched, novelty record from samples and they had a hit with it. I guess I'm trying to say that it was a bit of a melting pot. Lots of different ideas in music crossed over in the wake of Pump Up the Volume, Beat Dis, S Express etc. etc, even if for the sake of novelty music. They saw the dawn of sample-based hits as an easy shot.
As with new cutting-edge music in any period, house music could be difficult to understand by the (slightly) older audience. Cut n paste, and spoken-word samples etc were alien to the ears of the listener at the time, and many wondered what it was all about.

Thus novelty records based on house could appeal and be huge hits, in the same way that a comedian gets a laugh about emerging social phenomenons.

AdvertBreak wrote:The Cure - Never Enough
The Beautiful South - Hooligans Don't Fall in Love

Those songs also sound like Madchester/baggy

I'm sure we know plenty of other examples, so far we have 6, enough for an "alternative Madchester" EP :P
Yes, another interesting topic, where established artists incorporate new trends into their music, to make great records. I heard Erasure 'Love To Hate You' (1991) recently and it struck me how it borrowed very much from the rave sound, though I didn't particularly notice this at the time.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 03 Mar 2016, 20:16

Kylie also did some stuff in that era that sounded "ravey" to quote the NME of the time. I mean, by that they mean housey, but I bet that considering SAW were capable of making very upbeat/fast hi-NRG stuff, they wouldn't have been opposed to rave I wouldn't have thought, not at least in sound.

Anyway, shoegaze!
So I was listening to Cardiacs' Dirty Boy and it struck me how shoegazey it sort of is. Especially as the "ouuuuuut" drones over two minutes at the end, Ride's Leave Them All Behind stylie.

Also, the Beatles' I Want You (She's So Heavy) is pretty proto-shoegaze in the same sense. Although most people say its like doom metal. So I guess Deafheaven are fans haha.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 04 Mar 2016, 07:32

SAW were not all bad :lol: Singles by Donna Summer and Kylie (c. 1990-91) in particular reached out from teen pop to more serious ears.

Similarly, I only found out recently that Lonnie Gordon 'Happening All Over Again' was an SAW song & production. I don't remember this being said at the time - maybe it was kept quiet?

Kylie is like a pop-diva version of Madonna or Bowie, in that she adapts music styles of the particular time into her own work, to sustain a long career. Such artists are always likely to come up with good songs.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 06 Mar 2016, 14:29

Mallard No. 22 wrote:SAW were not all bad :lol: Singles by Donna Summer and Kylie (c. 1990-91) in particular reached out from teen pop to more serious ears.

Similarly, I only found out recently that Lonnie Gordon 'Happening All Over Again' was an SAW song & production. I don't remember this being said at the time - maybe it was kept quiet?

Kylie is like a pop-diva version of Madonna or Bowie, in that she adapts music styles of the particular time into her own work, to sustain a long career. Such artists are always likely to come up with good songs.
I wasn't knocking on SAW. Although I don't really like them. Their early 90s stuff was more interesting, yes. Like I said, Kylie's Rhythm of Love was basically a dance album.

Kylie was definitely best imo when she actually made one album by herself, Impossible Princess. Normally she gets other people to write her songs but on that album she wrote every song, often collaborating with other artists she picked such as James Dean Bradfield and Sean Moore of the Manics, and co-produced it as well. She was also very interested in the engineering, music sessions and so forth as well. And the album has a jumble of (current) styles like drum and bass, techno and Britpop. Unfortunately the British press ripped her apart for making an 'artist' album and she reverted back to the pop diva thing after that (which still made great music, of course, but I just prefer IP).

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 10 Mar 2016, 07:58

I never heard the 'Impossible Princess' album, and the singles got limited airplay. IIRC it got a fairly poor reception.

I suspect its release timing (October 1997) was unfortunate, as the Britpop music it was emulating was starting to wane, and the album title had to be changed in the UK (to the mere 'Kylie Minogue') because of the death of Princess Diana.

That said, it probably doesn't sound at all bad in retrospect, and is one that I will have to check out. Indie didn't start to sound worse in the late 90s, it is just that the zeitgeist moved elsewhere.