Songs which sound like other genres

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

AdvertBreak

Re: Songs which sound like other genres

Post by AdvertBreak » 25 Oct 2015, 23:45

Bowie's Low also sounds like post-rock, as does Seefeel's Quique.

Pasta

Post by Pasta » 27 Oct 2015, 10:19

Seefeel are often described as an electronic post rock band no??

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 27 Oct 2015, 17:32

Pasta wrote:Seefeel are often described as an electronic post rock band no??
I've seen shoegaze, dream pop, dub, IDM, ambient techno, drone, but not post-rock.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 27 Oct 2015, 23:51

This song and entire album continues to blow my mind....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUZmeXKBT-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Just so many genres blended perfectly well here!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 29 Oct 2015, 07:54

AdvertBreak wrote:What's the Frequency, Kenneth is supposed to have a grunge influence but to me sounds much more like its British opposite. It would sound out of place to me in a grunge mix, but not in a Britpop mix. It sounds so much like Shed Seven/sub-Oasis/Bluetones sort of bands in fact that I'm starting to think this apparent dividing line between Britpop and grunge is thinner than I'd thought. Everything about it screams Britpop to me.
Yes it is a song of its time. So it took elements of musical styles that were current.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 30 Oct 2015, 16:54

It sort-of predates when the sound was at its biggest though, which I'd say was 1995/96.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 31 Oct 2015, 04:31

Halloween inductions:

Howard Jones - Hide and Seek (its tagged as synthpop because its Howard Jones, but really its very dark, like gothic music. Don't know what it would fall under. Dark wave? Dark ambient? Or just..gothic?)

The Human League's Black Hit of Space is sort of dark wave/gothy as well.

Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead (I may have already mentioned this, but this track, the first ever gothic rock song, is basically dub music. And Blur's Essex Dogs sounds a lot like dub as well, more so than lo-fi alt rock or whatever)

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 31 Oct 2015, 07:29

REM's entire "Monster" album sounded more Britpop than Grunge.... "Crushed With Eyeliner", "King of Comedy", "Tongue", etc...... "Strange Currencies" as well has that vibe....could go on and on....

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 31 Oct 2015, 13:24

I agree. I suppose the album has a unique sound that the other albums don't. It's uncannily Britpop lol.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 31 Oct 2015, 16:29

AdvertBreak wrote:I agree. I suppose the album has a unique sound that the other albums don't. It's uncannily Britpop lol.
It's honestly Indie Rock more than anything else..they attempted several different genres on there.."What's The Frequency Kenneth" and "*69" were the only songs that suited Grunge....I'm basing this all off of memory.....It was though such a major departure from "Automatic for the People".....you could compare that transition to Blur from the "Great Escape" to "Blur" in that regard!

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 31 Oct 2015, 16:46

I never saw it as an American britpop, or British grunge album. It's this weird little record that sounds pretty unique.

If anything, it sounds like a tribute to 70's Bowie.. or what Bowie would sound like if he was part of a band with somewhat amateurish musicians, instead of backed by session guys. "King Of Comedy" has a Low vibe (listen to the synths and the way the guitar goes left and right), there's a fair amount of glamrock ("Crush With Eyeliner", "Kenneth"), a stab at soul ("Tongue"), some Iggy ("I Took Your Name").

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 31 Oct 2015, 17:01

mr_spenalzo wrote:I never saw it as an American britpop, or British grunge album. It's this weird little record that sounds pretty unique.

If anything, it sounds like a tribute to 70's Bowie.. or what Bowie would sound like if he was part of a band with somewhat amateurish musicians, instead of backed by session guys. "King Of Comedy" has a Low vibe (listen to the synths and the way the guitar goes left and right), there's a fair amount of glamrock ("Crush With Eyeliner", "Kenneth"), a stab at soul ("Tongue"), some Iggy ("I Took Your Name").

You are spot on..... but again something they had to do to avoid the inevitable......which was to avoid being forced out by Grunge in general if they didn't alter their sound from earlier efforts...too bad several bands had to compromise their sound at that time and music hasn't recovered since....

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 31 Oct 2015, 17:07

Up has a unique sound too. Its a bit loungey but more complex than that, epsecially opening with a collage like Airportman. It's going to sound strange but I link some of its tracks to certain places. For example, Lotus to cafes and waiting rooms. Strange.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 31 Oct 2015, 17:11

AdvertBreak wrote:Up has a unique sound too. Its a bit loungey but more complex than that, epsecially opening with a collage like Airportman. It's going to sound strange but I link some of its tracks to certain places. For example, Lotus to cafes and waiting rooms. Strange.

Agreed... what genre would you put this song into? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZAkOSpVumw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I've posted it on this or the old official site forum before....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 03 Nov 2015, 07:43

Interesting comments about REM 'Monster' - I am going to have to dig it out and play it again. :idea:

I haven't done since it was released - which was on the precipice between grunge and Britpop, which is probably why it sounds why it does :)

P.S. KLL76: The Cars - I would class them as New Wave - and in terms of the USA in this respect, they were contemporary to Blondie.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."