75%
The Flowers of Romance
25%

Total votes: 4

TripleJay97

Public Image Ltd

Post by TripleJay97 » 13 Mar 2015, 11:54

Anyone else into them?

I'm a newbie. Metal Box is a masterpiece it seems, my favourite tunes being Albatross and Poptones.
Last edited by TripleJay97 on 13 Mar 2015, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.

AdvertBreak

Re: Public Image Ltd

Post by AdvertBreak » 13 Mar 2015, 14:41

I got in to them in 2011 just because I loved Public Image (having only known that, Rise, and This is Not a Love Song), and after quick YouTubing for Metal Box I bought the 3CD for £17 (!) Then in 2012 I saw them live and it all fell into place, these were now one of my favourite bands.

Furthermore, they are probably my favourite band that both me and my best friend like (he generally a different taste in music), and in the later days of school we used to play their albums whilst doing our GCSE's for Art, which lead to some extreme reactions to the first album which was hilarious.

So yeah I love them.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 13 Mar 2015, 14:51

I heard the Metal Box stuff before I heard Public Image, so the punk-ness of it came as a surprise to me.

How would you rank their albums?

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 13 Mar 2015, 15:05

1. Metal Box
2. First Issue [Most tracks are less experimental than Metal Box's, but with the metallic guitar and Wobble trademarks. Then there's the bookend tracks which are listenable pisstakes [Fodderstompf is just so damn good]]
3. The Flowers of Romance [Perhaps their darkest album and very tribal [it's not bass orientated and is very percussion heavy] which almost makes it sound quite gothic or at least a tad like The Cure in this era without Simon Gallup, or JD's Closer without Hooky.]
Then there's the rest of them, most of them usually dismissed, and all of them almost always ignored
4. Album [The 'Lydon solo album' is actually pretty damn good]
5. That What is Not
6. This is PiL [Some of it sounds like it was made by ageing musicians but it really doesn't matter, except perhaps on the self referential first track [which still sounds good in my ears]. Last track is really good. Also their dubbiest style album since Metal Box]
7. Commercial Zone [This isn't an official album as such, but was released by their guitarist Keith without their permission before he got the boot. It's essentially the 'demo' stage of the following album This is What You Want except not overproduced and therefore has better, funkier versions of Love Song and Bad Life [Mad Max])
8. Happy?
9. 9
10. This is What You Want [Still alright, but dates badly, and is overproduced with horns and stuff]

Happy? and 9 are still pretty good but like TIWYW Lydon doesn't sound like he's all there, however, the guitarist on these albums is John McGeoch and he is really rather great.

I seriously haven't heard a lot of their albums in a while, I must see to that now. I find the post-Flowers of Romance PiL to be very underrated.

Oh and for punk/post punk stylings, that pretty much stops when Keith leaves the band. Their sound is more, well, not punk after that.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 13 Mar 2015, 15:36

AdvertBreak wrote:the guitarist on these albums is John McGeoch and he is really rather great.
I love him. His work on Juju was fucking wonderful.

I shall have to check out The Flowers of Romance next then!

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 13 Mar 2015, 15:38

Alright. Agreed on McGeoch, his Banshees work is blinding.

Flowers of Romance is supposedly the trickiest to get into which is why it was the second PiL album I listened to :lol:

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 13 Mar 2015, 16:53

I'm not fmailiar with all their records, but "Metal Box" and "Flowers Of ROmance" (reminds me a bit of Scott Walker's later stuff) are both amazing pieces of work.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 13 Mar 2015, 18:06

brilliant band. have first issue on vinyl
ANNALISA!
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 13 Mar 2015, 18:22

Fuck it, I made a poll.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 18 Mar 2015, 06:42

Don't know the albums, but the first single 'Public Image' (1978) was great. And some of the subsequent singles were as well.

It shows the progression that The Sex Pistols should have taken, instead of the covers/parody act they became once Lydon had left them.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 24 Jul 2015, 01:54

I'm listening to The Flowers of Romance now for the first time in quite a while and forgot how good it is.

Needless to say, this album is the dictionary definition of "grower" as it all sounds distant, paranoid and tribal at first. Of course, that doesn't quite change but it suddenly sounds a heck of a lot better after a good few listens. Also, I'm a sucker for practically any percussion-based music (if we can call it that).

Looking forward to the new album!

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 04 Oct 2015, 11:39

Is 'Album' any good? I've not given it a listen yet, and I know Rise is on there, which is a great tune obviously. I've just never really heard anything about it and I've always linked it to their shit post-FOR stuff.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 04 Oct 2015, 12:39

TripleJay97 wrote:Is 'Album' any good? I've not given it a listen yet, and I know Rise is on there, which is a great tune obviously. I've just never really heard anything about it and I've always linked it to their shit post-FOR stuff.
PiL were never shit post-FOR. Sometimes the quality doesn't stretch out an album but they've never made a shit one. Album is my favourite of them, so yeah. It's probably their most rocking album, although I did find it took some listens for it to all sink in.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 04 Oct 2015, 13:54

AdvertBreak wrote:
TripleJay97 wrote:Is 'Album' any good? I've not given it a listen yet, and I know Rise is on there, which is a great tune obviously. I've just never really heard anything about it and I've always linked it to their shit post-FOR stuff.
PiL were never shit post-FOR. Sometimes the quality doesn't stretch out an album but they've never made a shit one. Album is my favourite of them, so yeah. It's probably their most rocking album, although I did find it took some listens for it to all sink in.
Come on, This is What You Want wasn't great.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 04 Oct 2015, 13:57

Its my least favourite album of theirs but it still has Love Song and Bad Life which I like a lot (although not as much as their Commercial Zone versions).