The Rentals

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

KingLouieLouie76

Re: The Rentals

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 17 Mar 2015, 12:09

davidsutter wrote:I'd be interested in that as well.

Likewise! Thanks......

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 04 Oct 2017, 15:18

NEW SONG!!!

Elon Musk Is Making Me Sad - https://www.wired.com/2017/10/elon-musk-rentals-song/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And a statement from Matt Sharp:
Good morning, friends. Matt here. This a pretty nice day.

I am here to say a quick hello, hello to announce that I am currently working on The Rentals 4th official album (title, TBA.) The new record is a collaboration between myself, Nick Zinner and Dave Fridmann with a little help from a makeshift choir of incredible singers that I affectionately like to refer to as The Gentle Assassins.

Tomorrow, we are self-releasing the single ELON MUSK IS MAKING ME SAD. This is the first song that Nick and I recorded together, but in an odd bit of inversion it will likely end up as the last track on what should prove to be a genuinely twisted collection of interstellar lullabies and science fiction fables. Elon was mixed by Dave and Matt Estep; then mastered by, our man from Alphaville, Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound.

Earlier this morning, Wired Magazine premiered the single. And at midnight tonight, it should be available everywhere through all of the usual, mainstream digital outlets. The actual release date of the full-length will depend a bit on the oscillating schedules of Mr. Zinner, Mr. Fridmann and all those lovely Assassins, but we are hoping to have it ready for release somewhere in the first half of 2018.

By any measure we are still in the early stages of the album’s production, but I thought we should share Elon with you right away, regardless of whatever the album’s eventual release-date might be. Right from its inception, in the earliest sketches of the lyrics and melodies, there was always an urgency to share this particular song with everyone, at the very first possible chance that was available to us.

Thanks to Nick, Dave, Matt, Ryan, Brendan at The Syndicate, Pete at Bank Robber Music, Wired Magazine and many others, that time is now.

So, without further ado. With love and urgency…

Wired Magazine presents…

ELON MUSK IS MAKING ME SAD: https://www.wired.com/2017/10/elon-musk-rentals-song/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 05 Oct 2017, 02:22

tom_cas1 wrote:NEW SONG!!!

Elon Musk Is Making Me Sad - https://www.wired.com/2017/10/elon-musk-rentals-song/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And a statement from Matt Sharp:
Good morning, friends. Matt here. This a pretty nice day.

I am here to say a quick hello, hello to announce that I am currently working on The Rentals 4th official album (title, TBA.) The new record is a collaboration between myself, Nick Zinner and Dave Fridmann with a little help from a makeshift choir of incredible singers that I affectionately like to refer to as The Gentle Assassins.

Tomorrow, we are self-releasing the single ELON MUSK IS MAKING ME SAD. This is the first song that Nick and I recorded together, but in an odd bit of inversion it will likely end up as the last track on what should prove to be a genuinely twisted collection of interstellar lullabies and science fiction fables. Elon was mixed by Dave and Matt Estep; then mastered by, our man from Alphaville, Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound.

Earlier this morning, Wired Magazine premiered the single. And at midnight tonight, it should be available everywhere through all of the usual, mainstream digital outlets. The actual release date of the full-length will depend a bit on the oscillating schedules of Mr. Zinner, Mr. Fridmann and all those lovely Assassins, but we are hoping to have it ready for release somewhere in the first half of 2018.

By any measure we are still in the early stages of the album’s production, but I thought we should share Elon with you right away, regardless of whatever the album’s eventual release-date might be. Right from its inception, in the earliest sketches of the lyrics and melodies, there was always an urgency to share this particular song with everyone, at the very first possible chance that was available to us.

Thanks to Nick, Dave, Matt, Ryan, Brendan at The Syndicate, Pete at Bank Robber Music, Wired Magazine and many others, that time is now.

So, without further ado. With love and urgency…

Wired Magazine presents…

ELON MUSK IS MAKING ME SAD: https://www.wired.com/2017/10/elon-musk-rentals-song/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm honestly not too keen about this track! It drags on after awhile and isn't as innovative as earlier Rentals efforts... To me it sounds like vintage Weezer which isn't all too bad, but Matt wanted to always be more experimental than that!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 05 Oct 2017, 04:00

I love it although it's definitely longer than I expected. It starts off unexpectedly before the full band comes straight in with the classic Rentals sound. I'm guessing that this song won't be on the next album (although I could be wrong) but I think it's a great way to start. Note the new band too... It'll be interesting to see who they bring on this time around to tour.

The Rentals have long been one of my all time favourite bands and to be honest I'm still grateful that they came back with Lost in Alphaville, which was and still is excellent. If we get another album along those lines, and every indication points to that being a case based on this track, I will be very very happy indeed! :D
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 05 Oct 2017, 04:53

tom_cas1 wrote:I love it although it's definitely longer than I expected. It starts off unexpectedly before the full band comes straight in with the classic Rentals sound. I'm guessing that this song won't be on the next album (although I could be wrong) but I think it's a great way to start. Note the new band too... It'll be interesting to see who they bring on this time around to tour.

The Rentals have long been one of my all time favourite bands and to be honest I'm still grateful that they came back with Lost in Alphaville, which was and still is excellent. If we get another album along those lines, and every indication points to that being a case based on this track, I will be very very happy indeed! :D

I guess I will always miss the Haden sisters and apparently Cherielynn Westrich has never been fond of Matt and that is all unfortunate because to me that was the best incarnation of the band. I guess I should give their new song a few more listens because it always become a grower on me.

I liked "Lost From Alphaville", but it still didn't quite match up to their initial two releases....

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 13 Oct 2017, 14:10

Elon Musk is arguably a top 5 Rentals song