Production Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Mallard No. 22

Production Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 Jan 2015, 09:24

tom_cas1, from 'The Jimi Hendrix' thread wrote:I don't know, I think music quality deteriorated post-60's and has only recently gotten back up to the same level. If you listen to a lot of 70's, 80's and 90's stuff it sounds 'muddy' compared to the 60's. Abbey Road, in particular, is a crisp sounding album production wise. Improved recording techniques and technology doesn't necessarily mean better production.
Interesting point. 'Abbey Road' was in effect the start of 70s-style productions. I think there was a big leap forward in the 1968-71 period. By 1972 the 70s sound was established, and records from that time onwards are less likely to sound dated now. Hence the continuing popularity of 70s records.

But I accept there could be some 'muddiness', esp pre-New Wave.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

TripleJay97

Re: Production Thread

Post by TripleJay97 » 09 Jan 2015, 15:38

<Ahem> the smiths s/t <ahem>

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 11 Jan 2015, 05:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea-MVgC_jz4

listen to the vocals on the chorus. i love how it sounds
maybe it's ray's voice and songwriting but, that's so rare to hear
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 13 Jan 2015, 07:54

The Kinks were often 'eccentric'. The song is fine but the brass/oompah sounds more like a 60s record than the slicker-type production you would expect by 1972.

Alan Price was another who continued to produce such work in this period.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 13 Jan 2015, 08:55

I think production has dropped off in quality since the early-mid 70's and it's only now getting back to the level of that period. There are odd albums in that time of course but in general, the last 30 years production wise just hasn't held up to the level of the late 60's and early 70's. Albums like Abbey Road (actually every album post Rubber Soul), Exile On Main Street, Blood On The Tracks, Electric Ladyland (to name just a few) sound like they could have been recorded yesterday in terms of freshness. They haven't dated at all. But a lot of 80's stuff sounds shit now in comparison. Same goes with the 90's.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 17 Jan 2015, 09:22

Definitely keener on the late 60s-70s productions you mention, than 80s synthesised work.

As you say, 'Abbey Road' sounds like it could be made yesterday. From the same period, I always think 'All Right Now' by Free stands up in the same way. So do the LPs 'Hunky Dory' and 'Who's Next'.

And doubtless numerous others by such as Elton, Led Zep etc. The move to eight-track (& more) recorders plus a huge jump in creativity made this difference.