Noel Gallagher's solo stuff - yes or no?

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

aldamasta

Re: Noel Gallagher's solo stuff - yes or no?

Post by aldamasta » 29 Sep 2017, 20:20

I don't think Shed Seven is far superior, but their new single is better than most of Liam's new stuff, I'll give em that. Noel seems to finally be moving away from Oasis tribute act land based on the sound of his album trailer, which alone makes it more exciting than As You Were.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 29 Sep 2017, 20:30

aldamasta wrote:I don't think Shed Seven is far superior, but their new single is better than most of Liam's new stuff, I'll give em that. Noel seems to finally be moving away from Oasis tribute act land based on the sound of his album trailer, which alone makes it more exciting than As You Were.
The Shed's new album is meant to be awesome, hopefully it's true...still the biased radio airplay against them though. :(

Forever Low Man

Post by Forever Low Man » 30 Sep 2017, 23:24

Sledge Hammer wrote:we basically have two Oasis tribute acts trying to out do each other with 90% of the crowds just waiting for the Oasis songs
you're actually right
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 02 Oct 2017, 06:23

Yes, I agree with that as well Sledge Hammer.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 02 Oct 2017, 18:14

I wouldn't say Noel is an Oasis tribute act, his solo music has moved away from Oasis whereas Liam's hasn't. Just listen to the new album trailer for a prime example. Also I really don't think Noel gives a shit about outdoing Liam. Liam cares way more about that than Noel does.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 02 Oct 2017, 19:04

tom_cas1 wrote:I wouldn't say Noel is an Oasis tribute act, his solo music has moved away from Oasis whereas Liam's hasn't. Just listen to the new album trailer for a prime example. Also I really don't think Noel gives a shit about outdoing Liam. Liam cares way more about that than Noel does.
When nearly half your setlist are Oasis songs the game is up, move on and don't play any, maybe one in the encore then.

Everybody's on the Run
Play Video
Lock All the Doors
Play Video
In the Heat of the Moment
Play Video
Riverman
Play Video
Champagne Supernova
(Oasis cover)
Play Video
You Know We Can't Go Back
Play Video
Half the World Away
(Oasis cover)
Play Video
Little by Little
(Oasis cover)
Play Video
Wonderwall
(Oasis cover)
Play Video
Don't Look Back in Anger
(Oasis cover)
Play Video
AKA... What a Life!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 02 Oct 2017, 19:40

So would you say Damon is a Blur tribute act when he plays his solo shows? By that logic, he would be.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 02 Oct 2017, 20:21

tom_cas1 wrote:So would you say Damon is a Blur tribute act when he plays his solo shows? By that logic, he would be.
No, not quite the same

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 02 Oct 2017, 20:36

The gig I went to at the Albert Hall was... Well and a Gorillaz tribute act, oh and a TGTB&TQ tribute act too! ;)
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 02 Oct 2017, 20:40

Sledge Hammer wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:So would you say Damon is a Blur tribute act when he plays his solo shows? By that logic, he would be.
No, not quite the same
When nearly half your setlist are Blur/Gorillaz songs the game is up, move on and don't play any, maybe one in the encore then.

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 05 Oct 2017, 04:43

that's a stupid argument... you should be able to play your live own songs old & new. damon plays both old & new. i know because I have the royal albert hall cd.

noel's music is ok. it's not great and it's not terrible. so far the new stuff sounds interesting as if he is actually starting to branch out to a new sound instead of just doing the same thing over and over.. must of got that from hanging out with Damon.

Liam's solo stuff is trash and we all know it
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 Oct 2017, 05:59

I think with Noel and Liam, a lot of the audience (who aren't necessarily music fans through & through) will be looking for the old Oasis hits.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 09 Oct 2017, 02:17

New Noel song... Holy Mountain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNTEVAgFhNY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I love it! Instantly stuck in my head. It's a great choice for lead single, I could see this doing better than Liam's songs on the radio for sure (not that it's gotta be a contest!) This song has me even more excited to hear the album than I already was. I feel like Noel chose a "safer" track as lead single so not to potentially drive people away with his experimental stuff. Thoughts?

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 09 Oct 2017, 12:10

I heard the last minute or so of Holy Mountain before I got out the car before work this morning on BBC 6 music. I thought it sounded pretty cool, not usually being a massive fan of Noel's music. I need to give it another listen but I'm intrigued by reports of the album being 'different'. Whether I like this 'different' music or not, time will tell, but promises of experimentation has at least piqued my curiosity.

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 10 Oct 2017, 05:49

:lol: :lol: Haha experimental as if, just cause it's not his retrograde plod a long, it's Ricky Martin - She Bangs....Noel needs to give himself a slap!