Noel Gallagher's solo stuff - yes or no?

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Mallard No. 22

Re: Noel Gallagher's solo stuff - yes or no?

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 16 Jul 2015, 17:05

Just a quick heads up for Noel on BBC Radio 4 'Desert Island Discs', coming up this Sunday (19th July):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b062hplj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He made interesting choices of music when interviewed by Steve Lamacq on 6Music around December 2014.

Be interesting to see what he chooses this time :geek:
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 16 Jul 2015, 18:40

Apparently Noel is beginning work on his 3rd solo album already. He wants to have it finished by next year. However, knowing Noel it'll probably be 3 years down the road before we get another :P Not that I'm necessarily pumped for a new Noel solo album. Chasing Yesterday had a handful of tracks I enjoyed. If he does anything, I'd want it to be that long awaited/rumored Damon/Noel collab that they've both mentioned having an interest in doing :D ;)

Miki

Post by Miki » 16 Jul 2015, 23:48

aldamasta wrote:Apparently Noel is beginning work on his 3rd solo album already. He wants to have it finished by next year. However, knowing Noel it'll probably be 3 years down the road before we get another :P Not that I'm necessarily pumped for a new Noel solo album. Chasing Yesterday had a handful of tracks I enjoyed. If he does anything, I'd want it to be that long awaited/rumored Damon/Noel collab that they've both mentioned having an interest in doing :D ;)
I can believe him having a new album out next year. It's not as if he's stretching his songwriting and exploring new directions. He can churn out his stuff in his sleep.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 20 Jul 2015, 06:28

Yes, a Damon-Noel collaboration is tempting, but might not be great.

Damon remains fresh in his music and outlook. Noel is much less so, plodding the tried and tested path.

Would Damon have to do all the work, and Noel just be a 'guest vocalist'?

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 21 Jul 2015, 09:50

Miki wrote:
aldamasta wrote:Apparently Noel is beginning work on his 3rd solo album already. He wants to have it finished by next year. However, knowing Noel it'll probably be 3 years down the road before we get another :P Not that I'm necessarily pumped for a new Noel solo album. Chasing Yesterday had a handful of tracks I enjoyed. If he does anything, I'd want it to be that long awaited/rumored Damon/Noel collab that they've both mentioned having an interest in doing :D ;)
I can believe him having a new album out next year. It's not as if he's stretching his songwriting and exploring new directions. He can churn out his stuff in his sleep.
I'm not sure about this criticism of Gallagher. I'd say from recent form he's become a much better songwriter than Albarn - his melodies are so much stronger. Simple as that.
Gallagher's Achilles heel is his lyrics. They're almost uniformly awful. Song after song of empty platitudes. Whereas Damon has a real poet's gift. So, from current form, any collaboration should really be Gallagher (music) and Albarn (lyrics).

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 21 Jul 2015, 12:53

I thought Noel was really good on desert island discs the other day.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 21 Jul 2015, 20:48

Oh yeah... forgot about that!

*Toddles off to listen*

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 22 Jul 2015, 13:59

Neal Zeal wrote:
Miki wrote:
I'm not sure about this criticism of Gallagher. I'd say from recent form he's become a much better songwriter than Albarn - his melodies are so much stronger. Simple as that.
Gallagher's Achilles heel is his lyrics. They're almost uniformly awful. Song after song of empty platitudes. Whereas Damon has a real poet's gift. So, from current form, any collaboration should really be Gallagher (music) and Albarn (lyrics).
I can't agree that Noel is a better songwriter. When I listen to his solo albums and compare them to things Damon has done around the same time (Plastic Beach was a bit before Noel's 1st solo album, and then Everyday Robots and The Magic Whip), Damon's songwriting, and lyrics too of course, is much better IMO. I agree that Noel can churn out his stuff in his sleep because it hasn't changed in SO long.

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 22 Jul 2015, 14:36

Neal Zeal wrote: I'm not sure about this criticism of Gallagher. I'd say from recent form he's become a much better songwriter than Albarn - his melodies are so much stronger. Simple as that.
Hold up, did I really just read that?

Noel is a decent songwriter, BUT a lot of his songs either sound the same or are complete rip offs of other artist/songs! I actually like his solo stuff and some Oasis stuff, but there's no way in hell it can compare musically to Damon's stuff. Plus, Damon has written, what like, triple the amount of stuff Noel has?

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 22 Jul 2015, 19:25

I love Noel but there's no way he's a better songwriter than Damon. The guy obviously has a great sense for melody but he's nowhere near Damon in any aspect. That's not to say he's bad, it's just that Damon's way better, although it is true that Noel has always written on his own while Damon's always had help. I think he grew tired of writing songs in the early 2000s and just became too comfortable with Oasis (releasing an album every three years, never getting too far out from his comfort zone). I hope that would change with his solo career but it hasn't so far. The songs are clearly better than anything on Oasis' last albums but he hasn't developed as an artist as I thought he would. He should've released the collaboration album with AA and kindly tell Dave Sardy to fuck off :lol:

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 22 Jul 2015, 19:26

Was the AA album ever finished? If yes, and it gets released, I wouldn't hesitate to predict it'd be his best record since the 90s.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 22 Jul 2015, 19:28

AdvertBreak wrote:Was the AA album ever finished? If yes, and it gets released, I wouldn't hesitate to predict it'd be his best record since the 90s.
Yeah it was, he just wasn't happy at all with the mixes and just released a few songs as b-sides. This one is particularly stunning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpdB9Ek7_bY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Lt Pinkerton on 22 Jul 2015, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 22 Jul 2015, 19:35

Indeed, I'm loving it!

Miki

Post by Miki » 22 Jul 2015, 23:37

I personally don't believe Noel is a better songwriter than Damon, but me saying that he can churn out his music in his sleep is neither positive or negative, it's a simple acknowledgement to the fact that in 20+ years Noel's music has changed very little and he has stuck to a formula that works well for him. So, yeah, he can pretty much do it in autopilot. Agree on the lyrics.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 24 Jul 2015, 06:24

Mark72 wrote:I thought Noel was really good on desert island discs the other day.
It was a good interview in itself, and he came across well. I especially agreed with his comments about the 90s being a 'great decade', coming out of the previous austerity of the 80s etc.

His choices of music I suppose were fair enough. 'Desert Island Discs' is very mainstream, even 'Voodoo Ray' was quite subversive here. He couldn't really pick the eclectic songs that he did on Steve Lamacq's 6Music show.