Noel Gallagher's solo stuff - yes or no?

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Forever Low Man

Re: Noel Gallagher's solo stuff - yes or no?

Post by Forever Low Man » 16 Jan 2015, 21:36

Noel's music is completely eh. There's nothing horrible about it, but there's nothing outstanding about it either.
damon008 wrote:you kill intermission like i eat hot dinners

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 17 Jan 2015, 09:45

Very good points everyone. I tend to agree.

Noel is just drifting along, and our allegiance to him is based on 'Britpop' period Oasis.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 21 Jan 2015, 00:23

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
Noel is just drifting along, and our allegiance to him is based on 'Britpop' period Oasis.
Oh absolutely! If he was just starting out, he probably wouldn't get a record contract. Most of the people that like his stuff were/are either Oasis or Britpop fans.

guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices » 22 Jan 2015, 00:01

Despite the remaining Oasis signture in his songs he's still sufficiently original and doesn't sound dated.

Miki

Post by Miki » 18 Feb 2015, 12:18

I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 18 Feb 2015, 15:01

Way better singer than his brother. Some of these singles sound pretty good.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 19 Feb 2015, 06:37

Miki - the NME review more or less concurs with the opinions on this board.

I like the quote "the past will never be a foreign country to Noel Gallagher...." :)
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 25 Feb 2015, 19:01

http://www.nme.com/news/noel-gallagher/83098

February 24, 2015 12:25

Noel Gallagher: 'More chance of me making double album with Damon Albarn than writing for Liam' :lol:

Gallagher dampens hopes of him working again with his brother and former Oasis bandmate

Noel Gallagher has tempered suggestions that he could write songs for his brother Liam in the future, saying there is more chance of him working with Damon Albarn.

Speaking to NME earlier this year, Noel said that he would be happy to write songs for his brother and former Oasis bandmate and promised that they would be better than those released by Liam's old band Beady Eye.

Now, in a new interview with Stereogum, Gallagher said that the chances of that actually happening are remote and that it's more likely to see him embark on a lengthy project with Blur's Damon Albarn.

"I don't think he [Liam]'s the kind of person that would ask. Somebody said to me, 'Would you consider writing songs for Liam?' What am I supposed to say? 'No, fuck off.' OK. So it’s just like, 'Yeah, I guess.' Is it likely to happen? No, me and Damon making a double album is probably more likely to happen".

Elsewhere in the interview, Noel dismissed the idea that Beyonce is a better "artist" than Beck, following Kanye West's comments at this year's Grammy Awards. "Number one, somebody should buy that boy [Kanye West] a dictionary. And he needs to look up the fucking term 'artistry' and then see if it reminds him, in any way, of Beyoncé. If shaking your ass for a living is considered art, then she’s right up there, no?"

Gallagher continued: "We could boil this down to two separate things. Beck writes all his own music, OK? There you go, the end. You have to employ a fucking team of songwriters and eight producers and nine engineers, or you can sing it, hum it, play it yourself, I don’t know. You decide. I know what side of the fence I’m on."

Noel Gallagher was recently announced as one of the headliners for T In The Park Festival yesterday. The singer, who releases his new album 'Chasing Yesterday' on March 2, has previously criticised the state of the current British music scene because of its lack of working class musicians.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 25 Feb 2015, 19:40

Noel can always be relied on for a good quote, if nothing else, that's for sure.

Said in jest of course, but I wonder what a Damon / Noel collaberation might sound like. Imagine if he appeared on a new Gorillaz record for instance. Could it work?

Miki

Post by Miki » 26 Feb 2015, 16:11

In the name of fairness and because, unlike Kanye, I believe that before you give an opinion you need to inform yourself, I gave Chasing Yesterday a listen. First things first, it's not a bad album. In fact it's a definite improvement on his first solo effort. It's not perfect and he's still falling into old habits here and there, but there are quite a few attention grabbing songs on here. When the opening track, "Riverman", begins, you immediately think "Wonderwall", but Noel takes the song in a different direction pretty soon and it ends up being one of the best tracks on the album, with a very atmospheric guitar and coda. The same goes for "The Girl With X-Ray Eyes", "While The Song Remains The Same" and "You Know We Can't Go Back". "The Mexican" and "Ballad of the Mighty I" break the rhythm and stop the album from sounding too same-y. The lowest point for me, the "Noel-by-Numbers" moments, are "Lock All the Doors", "The Dying of Light" and the first single "In The Heat of the Moment", which really doesn't do the album justice. The highlight of the whole thing, though, has to be "The Right Stuff", an almost jazzy track bordering on Zero 7/Air territory, with a Primal Scream vibe. Hat off to Noel on that one. Lyrically he's hit and miss, as always, so not much to comment on that one. Vocally... he hasn't got a bad voice, but I always find it flat. It lacks expression, he mostly shouts and it kind of makes the album sound a little lifeless. But the production is good and the song writing has moments of brilliance. So overall, not perfect, but much better than I expected.

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 27 Feb 2015, 11:51

Miki wrote:In the name of fairness and because, unlike Kanye, I believe that before you give an opinion you need to inform yourself, I gave Chasing Yesterday a listen. First things first, it's not a bad album. In fact it's a definite improvement on his first solo effort. It's not perfect and he's still falling into old habits here and there, but there are quite a few attention grabbing songs on here. When the opening track, "Riverman", begins, you immediately think "Wonderwall", but Noel takes the song in a different direction pretty soon and it ends up being one of the best tracks on the album, with a very atmospheric guitar and coda. The same goes for "The Girl With X-Ray Eyes", "While The Song Remains The Same" and "You Know We Can't Go Back". "The Mexican" and "Ballad of the Mighty I" break the rhythm and stop the album from sounding too same-y. The lowest point for me, the "Noel-by-Numbers" moments, are "Lock All the Doors", "The Dying of Light" and the first single "In The Heat of the Moment", which really doesn't do the album justice. The highlight of the whole thing, though, has to be "The Right Stuff", an almost jazzy track bordering on Zero 7/Air territory, with a Primal Scream vibe. Hat off to Noel on that one. Lyrically he's hit and miss, as always, so not much to comment on that one. Vocally... he hasn't got a bad voice, but I always find it flat. It lacks expression, he mostly shouts and it kind of makes the album sound a little lifeless. But the production is good and the song writing has moments of brilliance. So overall, not perfect, but much better than I expected.
Nice review, Miki. Thanks for that. I thought the first album was pretty weak and wasn't going to get this one unless reviews and singles indicated that it was a lot better.
Thought the first single was a bit rubbish and the new one only slightly better. One issue that a reviewer has picked up is that NG is brilliant at interviews. So much wit, so many great observations - he has a brilliant, original opinion on just about everything (a bit like Morrissey used to).
But his lyrics are generally bland and clichéd. Odd isn't it?
Why not use his witty, original interview brain to write witty original lyrics?

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 27 Feb 2015, 17:22

Miki wrote:In the name of fairness and because, unlike Kanye, I believe that before you give an opinion you need to inform yourself, I gave Chasing Yesterday a listen. First things first, it's not a bad album. In fact it's a definite improvement on his first solo effort. It's not perfect and he's still falling into old habits here and there, but there are quite a few attention grabbing songs on here. When the opening track, "Riverman", begins, you immediately think "Wonderwall", but Noel takes the song in a different direction pretty soon and it ends up being one of the best tracks on the album, with a very atmospheric guitar and coda. The same goes for "The Girl With X-Ray Eyes", "While The Song Remains The Same" and "You Know We Can't Go Back". "The Mexican" and "Ballad of the Mighty I" break the rhythm and stop the album from sounding too same-y. The lowest point for me, the "Noel-by-Numbers" moments, are "Lock All the Doors", "The Dying of Light" and the first single "In The Heat of the Moment", which really doesn't do the album justice. The highlight of the whole thing, though, has to be "The Right Stuff", an almost jazzy track bordering on Zero 7/Air territory, with a Primal Scream vibe. Hat off to Noel on that one. Lyrically he's hit and miss, as always, so not much to comment on that one. Vocally... he hasn't got a bad voice, but I always find it flat. It lacks expression, he mostly shouts and it kind of makes the album sound a little lifeless. But the production is good and the song writing has moments of brilliance. So overall, not perfect, but much better than I expected.
Great, thoughtful review...thanks for that! I enjoyed his first album for what it was but have stayed away from this one because of that plodding, same-y feel I eventually got from the debut after too many listens. Maybe I will give this one a try!

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 27 Feb 2015, 17:35

I enjoyed his first record. It wasn't anything exceptional, but I couldn't find a single track that I disliked. It was the kind of music that Noel had been writing for Oasis for years, and while I am an Oasis fan, I much prefer Noel's vocals and singing to that talentless twat Liam's. So yeah, I am looking forward to his new record, though I haven't listened to any of the songs yet.

Miki

Post by Miki » 27 Feb 2015, 19:23

I think fans won't be disappointed. I'm not a fan of his and enjoyed it :)

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 01 Mar 2015, 16:06

I listened to clips of the first album, nothing too exciting for me. This new one has great energy and riffs, looking forward to it.