Noel Gallagher's solo stuff - yes or no?

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Neal Zeal

Noel Gallagher's solo stuff - yes or no?

Post by Neal Zeal » 04 Jan 2015, 17:14

I never bought an Oasis album because I couldn't stand the sound of William's voice, although I did really like quite a few singles (e.g. I'm free, Stand by me, I'm outta time, Hey lyla).
I bought Noel's first solo album coz I don't mind his voice and had him down as a top-notch songwriter. However, I thought it was hugely disappointing. Full of samey, half-hearted songs with weak melodies, dull arrangements and clichéd lyrics. Ok, so you don't exactly expect the wit of Oscar Wilde but I thought we might've at least got some great tunes.
So, the new one's on its way, and a single has been out now for a month or two. We're told this album is really ambitious, diverse, etc. but the single (Heat of the moment) just seems like another forgettable half-song.
Noel is such a powerful figure in the music world, and remains a brilliant interviewee (loved his recent comment about people being happy to spend £10 on two coffees but not on an album) that I think music mags can't afford to upset him.
So I don't hold out much hope for the album - good to have him around though...

Miki

Re: Noel Gallagher's solo stuff - yes or no?

Post by Miki » 04 Jan 2015, 22:06

No.

M.O.R. Dad rock.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 05 Jan 2015, 10:31

Listen, I liked his High Flying Birds album (does he have any more solo albums) but a lot of it sounded like stuff he's done before.

You can listen to the full album on youtube.

Here are a few links

Death of You and Me (which sounds like the Oasis song "Importance of Being Idle" which was a rip off of the Kinks "Dead End Street")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFx_Ini ... _wDLFO4TWw

Everybody's on the Run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpqQJfdLO14

Stranded on the Wrong Beach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSQkeUotxKY

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 05 Jan 2015, 15:01

I loved the first Flying Birds album, but in the year+ since I've last listened to it, I agree with the above poster who called it MOR dad-rock. I still think Noel is super talented (albeit massively overrated) so I still enjoy it, but the contrast between his career and Damon's (as the two chief songwriters of the two biggest British bands of the 1990s) is stark.

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 Jan 2015, 09:34

Yes, Damon remains fresh in his projects.

It would be difficult to age him or tie him to a particular period. 8-)
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 09 Jan 2015, 15:42

I did buy his first High Flying Birds album on the strength of AKA What A Life, but I was largely disappointed. Boring stuff.

daii

Post by daii » 09 Jan 2015, 17:49

I'm a big oasis fan. I liked his first record, but I think he is gonna repeat himself with this second one (Maybe I'm comparing him too much with damon, who is like a chameleon.) Probably most of the oasis fans will love it even if he does the same thing again

btw, I'd love to see noel working with damon

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 09 Jan 2015, 18:13

I like Noel's solo work. I've bought the limited edition 7" that he released a few months ago and I'll probably be purchasing his new album. However, I doubt it will be an album of the year contender for me, though who knows! One of the main reasons I'm interested in it is because he's going to tour in North America (already announced Governor's Ball, so I'm very confident that he'll be at Bonnaroo :D ). It's not anything near his work in the early years of Oasis for me. I believe he's stronger with Oasis, whereas Graham and Damon have made amazing contributions to music as solo artists. You'll just have to give it a try and form your own opinion :)

Miki

Post by Miki » 09 Jan 2015, 23:40

For the record, I did download High Flying Birds. It was... how can I put it?... beige. It's one of those record you put on in the background and they're pleasant enough, no infamy and no glory... like most of his work with and without Oasis - who did a couple of good albums and then died choked by their own hype. It's inoffensive and forgettable and I'm not going to bother with the new one.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 13 Jan 2015, 07:47

daii wrote:I'm a big oasis fan. I liked his first record, but I think he is gonna repeat himself with this second one (Maybe I'm comparing him too much with damon, who is like a chameleon.) Probably most of the oasis fans will love it even if he does the same thing again

Interesting points. Tend to agree.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 13 Jan 2015, 13:11

daii wrote:I'm a big oasis fan. I liked his first record, but I think he is gonna repeat himself with this second one (Maybe I'm comparing him too much with damon, who is like a chameleon.) Probably most of the oasis fans will love it even if he does the same thing again

Noel on Gorillaz. That might be interesting...

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 13 Jan 2015, 14:32

Anyone heard the new single yet (featuring Johnny Marr)?
Think you can hear it at this link; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzQYtpjMjSo
It's called 'Ballad of the Mighty I'.

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 13 Jan 2015, 16:51

First off, you can't compare Noel & Damon. It's not fair to Noel. They are two VERY different musicians and songwriters.

I think Damon's in a special league because he always changes and is always influenced my more than one style of music. He's influenced by everything. I remember him saying something like the sound a revolving door was like a musical sound and it inspired him. Most "pop stars" or "rockers" don't even think like that at all. That's what I love the most about Damon. (As well as Paul McCartney)

Thing is with Noel is that when Oasis first came out, they sounded a lot different than anything at the time. After Morning Glory, I think many people started to realize that they weren't changing their style. To me, while I like a lot of their songs, they all kinda sound the same. (I've heard many people say the same about other artists like Tom Petty). So, I when I'm going to listen to a new Noel album, I kinda know what to expect. I know it's going to sound like typical Noel Gallagher music. It's not going to be mind blowing. And I think it's more aimed (or should be aimed) at people my age (34) and above who loved the music of the 90s and aren't into popular music. So when someone says it's "Dad rock" well, it is. I can totally see why younger people wouldn't find it great. Plus, it's written and sang by a rich middle aged man. He's not going to have that edge of a younger person like he did when Oasis started.

I think the same about Travis, and I LOVE Travis. I doubt a 20 year old is going to listen to one of their new albums or songs and be blown away by them.

Now, if Noel thinks his music is mind blowing and not MOR/Dad Rock, well... he's wrong. He is an arrogant ass though.

I would LOVE to hear a Noel and Gorillaz thing though. I think that would be awesome.

Miki

Post by Miki » 14 Jan 2015, 00:15

Well, as I'm 47 I can't certainly be considered "young people" :lol:

I find it ironic that Noel has a go at the "sameness" of the X-Factor music factory and pop music in general when he continues to churn out the same stuff himself. As a composer of M.O.R. popular music he probably hits the mark, but he's stuck there, he doesn't add anything to the creative pot and he's become as redundant as any other "by-numbers" chart act that he likes to have a dig at.

There's nothing really wrong with his music. But nothing really good either. Beige again. The new song sounds like he's trying to cross Oasis with Kasabian. Which probably his fans will love.

Not sure where Johnny Marr is supposed to be.

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 14 Jan 2015, 17:57

I wouldn't call NG's solo stuff dad rock. It just sounds like bland pop to me. Floaty, empty, nothingy.
Still, I'm keen to read his new interviews as always. There's a new one in today's NME.
"I can't live in a world where Ed Sheeran is headlining Wembley' is a great quote!