Pulp Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

JAIME

Pulp Thread

Post by JAIME » 02 Jan 2015, 15:50

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 53976.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mental health nurse Deborah Bone, MBE, who inspired Pulp's 'Disco 2000' dies aged 51 :(

The nurse had just been awarded an MBE this year for her pioneering work in mental health

Friday 02 January 2015

Deborah Bone, a pioneering mental health nurse from Sheffield, who was also the inspiration behind Pulp’s hit song ‘Disco 2000’, has died at the age of 51.

Bone, from Sheffield, was close friends with Pulp’s lead singer Jarvis Cocker and is the same Deborah in the hit 1990s song which opens: “Well we were born within an hour of each other. Our mothers said we could be sister and brother. Your name was Deborah. Deborah. It never suited ya.”

She moved to Letchworth at the age of 10, but Cocker and Bone’s mothers were close friends, and the Britpop star reportedly sang ‘Disco 2000’ at the nurse’s 50th birthday party last year, the Comet reports.

Ms Bone died on the morning of 30 December, and was named in the New Year's honours list for 2015, in which she is to be awarded an MBE for her pioneering work in mental health. She is survived by her husband Colin, her daughters Pollyanna and Jemima, and her grandson.

Bone, who had been diagnosed with multiple myeloma, a form of bone marrow cancer, worked at Hertfordshire Community NHS Trush, and she has been awarded the MBE this year for her services to children and young people.

Deborah Bone was an award-winning mental health nurse The award-winning nurse set up the Step2health service at the NHS Trust, the Comet reports, and was a service manager for early intervention and adolescent mental health service. She also developed Brainbox, a system designed to help young people cope with stress and anxiety.

Bone's husband Colin told the newspaper: "Learning Deborah had been awarded an MBE was a very emotional experience. Her first thoughts characteristically were for the other people who helped to make her achievements possible.

He added he will be proud to attend the MBE ceremony on her behalf, alongside Bone's daughter, Pollyanna, who is following in her mother's footsteps and working for the NHS.

Mark72

Re: Pulp Thread

Post by Mark72 » 02 Jan 2015, 18:11

R.I.P Deborah.. Very sad.

Been a big fan of pulp since 1994 see them live back in the 90s. My favourite album for me is His N Hers, brings back many memories of those times.
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 02 Jan 2015, 18:13

Great performance of do you remember the first time on Jools Holland..

http://youtu.be/b8tmX3UWFJM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 02 Jan 2015, 18:16

I saw that article about Deboarh earlier today on Facebook...very sad. Always loved that song (AND Pulp!). Wish I had gotten to see them live before they split but being an American fan, they're as well known here to the average music fan as Blur, probably even less.

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 Jan 2015, 09:06

Saw them at Newcastle Arena, the same week as the Michael Jackson incident at the BRITS.

Jarvis thanked the audience for their support in this - I think he had some serious hassle from within the business over it.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 09 Feb 2015, 06:21

I'm a little bit obsessed right now, His n' Hers is a great record. I'm hoping to do an acoustic version of 'Babies' at my next college live lounge.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 09 Feb 2015, 09:25

This is Hardcore was probably my album of last year.

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 09 Mar 2015, 08:00

Big fan. Jarvis has inspired an entire generation. I wonder if people here listen to their pre-1994 stuff that much. I do enjoy their older records myself. After the absolutely perfect Different Class, Separations is my second favorite Pulp album along with This Is Hardcore.

aldamasta

Post by aldamasta » 09 Mar 2015, 23:07

I'm curious about Pulp's pre His n Hers material. Figure I ought to listen to it someday. I don't know many people who have listened to a lot of their old stuff... wonder if there are any Pulp fans from the very beginning!

Daysleeper

Post by Daysleeper » 27 Mar 2015, 21:11

TripleJay97 wrote:I'm a little bit obsessed right now, His n' Hers is a great record. I'm hoping to do an acoustic version of 'Babies' at my next college live lounge.
Probably my favourite Pulp song! Love it!

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 05 Apr 2015, 11:00

I never really got into It or Separations, but Freaks is quite good. I particularly enjoy the more menacing songs on it, like "Fairground" (sinister!), "Being Followed Home", "Master Of The Universe" and "They Suffocate At Night". If you get the reissue you get pretty much all of the Masters Of The Universe compilation with it, with some other fantastic ones, including "The Will To Power" (one of my favourite Pulp songs), "Little Girl (With Blue Eyes)" and "The Mark Of The Devil".

Also, pre-His 'N' Hers is Intro, which though technically a compilation of a bunch of singles is a great record in its own right. Obligatory purchase if you haven't got it.

And if we go way back in time, there's a 1981 recording on The Peel Sessions which is really excellent (and It, released in '83, was a massive step back in quality).

Rubi

Post by Rubi » 06 Apr 2015, 15:17

mr_spenalzo wrote:I never really got into It or Separations, but Freaks is quite good. I particularly enjoy the more menacing songs on it, like "Fairground" (sinister!), "Being Followed Home", "Master Of The Universe" and "They Suffocate At Night". If you get the reissue you get pretty much all of the Masters Of The Universe compilation with it, with some other fantastic ones, including "The Will To Power" (one of my favourite Pulp songs), "Little Girl (With Blue Eyes)" and "The Mark Of The Devil".

Also, pre-His 'N' Hers is Intro, which though technically a compilation of a bunch of singles is a great record in its own right. Obligatory purchase if you haven't got it.

And if we go way back in time, there's a 1981 recording on The Peel Sessions which is really excellent (and It, released in '83, was a massive step back in quality).
Yup, got them all.

For me, just like with Blur, Pulp haven't released a single bad album. Even Freaks, perhaps my least favorite one, is full of great tracks. Not to mention they have some excellent b-sides: The Mark of the Devil, Death Goes to the Disco, Stacks, Seconds, Ansaphone, PTA, Mile End, and Forever in My Dreams, just to mention a few.

I would kill for a new album. Suede did it, Blur are doing it. C'mon, Jarvis!

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 07 Sep 2015, 18:59

On saturday I watched the DVD Hits (I've never seen it before).

I laughed a lot during the short documentary "Do You Remember The First Time?", in which some famous people talk about their first sexual experiences :lol: :D :mrgreen:

Mrbriggs

Post by Mrbriggs » 07 Sep 2015, 20:02

I've heard His N Hers and Different Class, loved them both. Any suggestions on which other albums I should check out?

Mark72

Post by Mark72 » 07 Sep 2015, 20:05

This is Hardcore is worth a listen as I think it's very underrated