The New Take That Album (3) - Any good?

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

Neal Zeal

The New Take That Album (3) - Any good?

Post by Neal Zeal » 29 Dec 2014, 13:29

Indie snobs - this thread is not for you!
Anyone bought the new TT album?
I thought the single (These Days) was rather good. If it's the only song of that quality on the album, I wouldn't buy it. But if it's one of a handful, I probably would.
The reviews to date have been a bit mixed - will be interesting to see what the 3 big music mags give it when their new issues come out in the next day or two...

Mallard No. 22

Re: The New Take That Album (3) - Any good?

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 02 Jan 2015, 07:48

We will hear the Take That records, whatever we do.

Radio 2 and the supermarkets love them.

They know that the 14-year old girls who originally loved them, still love them.

The soundtrack to their schooldays becomes the soundtrack to their adult life, on the way to Tescos.

But music fans should never be dismissive of an artist. You can never tell who is going to come up with a good song. And Robbie Williams (like Kylie Minogue) has had a very broad appeal, with leanings into many music styles.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 02 Jan 2015, 08:31

Mallard No. 22 wrote: They know that the 14-year old girls who originally loved them, still love them.
Except they're now 34 ... surely no girl who's 14 now will listen to that bunch of old farts over One Direction?

Anyhow, I don't consider myself an indie snob (have far too big a fondness for pop music), but I'm happy without Take That in my life. I tried "Progress" a few years back after reading so many positive and surprised reviews (and liking the single that with the video of them in a boat), but it still sucked.

Neal Zeal

Post by Neal Zeal » 04 Jan 2015, 17:05

Hi - thanks for these responses, and good to see some fellow open-minded music fans!
I too bought Progress based on the excellent reviews and the cracking first single (Holding Back the Floor).
There was indeed nothing else of that quality on the album - felt pretty let down by the reviews.
I did really like one of the songs on the bonus 'Progressed' CD though - one of the bleakest and most moving things I've ever heard!
So I won't risk buying the new one unless I hear another one or two great singles off it...

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 Jan 2015, 09:31

mr_spenalzo wrote:Except they're now 34 ... surely no girl who's 14 now will listen to that bunch of old farts over One Direction?
What I mean is that the current 34 year-olds identify with artists, still current, who were around in their youth.

They danced around their handbags to them at the school disco. They push their trolleys around to them at the supermarket.

Much like members of this board are still fascinated by what the Blur members are doing, 20 years on.... :)
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."