The Genesis Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

KingLouieLouie76

Re: The Genesis Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 16 Dec 2014, 20:13

mr_spenalzo wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
Mallard No. 22 wrote:Yes, that is right. 'Prog' music was very uncool in the 80s. The music press tended to disregard anything pre-punk.
Only other successful Progressive bands during the early MTV era to survive were Yes and Rush (both really had to simplify their sound in order to last).... Asia was formed around that time, but they were more pop-oriented on most of their hits, but that supergroup obviously had more progressive yearnings but again wouldn't have survive which is quite depressing.

Genesis desperately had to go in that direction or else they would have crashed and burned. At least during their more commercial sounding albums with Phil they still managed a couple progressive tracks per album so they didn't completely alienate off their fan base. Heck, even Peter Gabriel himself sold out during the 80s and everyone seems to overlook that!
Peter Gabriel did no such thing, So is amazing! :o
Oh....I love "So".....What I'm getting at though it wasn't anywhere close to the early Progressive Genesis era sound....It's the same camp who ridicules Phil in leading Genesis in that similar direction.

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 17 Dec 2014, 07:23

The pop version of Yes was originally going to be called Cinema.
It was only later on when they said 'we have like four Yes members, fuck it'.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 18 Dec 2014, 08:51

A lot of the rock bands forged in the 60s were at their peak when New Wave arrived. They continued into the early 80s. Led Zep, The Who, Pink Floyd, ELO. It was around the time of MTV that they began to disappear. Whereas Genesis and Yes embraced the 80s more readily. Interesting how Yes did this with Trevor Horn and his pop sensibilities.

Peter Gabriel stayed truer to his Prog roots than others in the 80s. But maintained a forward-thinking edge. He did some very good work, 'So' and a little later 'Us', were great albums in a period when many of his contemporaries were fading away.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 19 Dec 2014, 03:13

Massive Genesis fan, although I cut off after Seconds Out...once Hackett left, I have very little love for them (beyond a few songs like "Turn It On Again" and a few from Abacab). But up to and including Seconds Out, they fucking rock 8-)

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 24 Dec 2014, 16:19

MrMagpie wrote:Massive Genesis fan, although I cut off after Seconds Out...once Hackett left, I have very little love for them (beyond a few songs like "Turn It On Again" and a few from Abacab). But up to and including Seconds Out, they fucking rock 8-)

I was hoping that the earlier line-up would finally settle their differences..reunite and tour....But I guess Phil as retired from performing to a certain degree (especially playing drums)..... I love the post-Gabriel material also, but mainly because of how sentimental those songs are to me.....

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 24 Dec 2014, 18:55

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
MrMagpie wrote:Massive Genesis fan, although I cut off after Seconds Out...once Hackett left, I have very little love for them (beyond a few songs like "Turn It On Again" and a few from Abacab). But up to and including Seconds Out, they fucking rock 8-)

I was hoping that the earlier line-up would finally settle their differences..reunite and tour....But I guess Phil as retired from performing to a certain degree (especially playing drums)..... I love the post-Gabriel material also, but mainly because of how sentimental those songs are to me.....
I thought that too, until I found out that (1) Phil simply cannot play the drums anymore and (2) I noticed in interviews that Tony Banks is unbearable, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone to have to spend time on the road with him

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 25 Dec 2014, 04:41

mr_spenalzo wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:

I thought that too, until I found out that (1) Phil simply cannot play the drums anymore and (2) I noticed in interviews that Tony Banks is unbearable, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone to have to spend time on the road with him
I can never figure why Banks is so full of himself.... Phil and Mike have always been on the opposite side of the spectrum...Heck, I even wish Mike & the Mechanics reunited!

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 26 Dec 2014, 14:13

Hackett seems to be happy and doing well with his own things, too...I can totally understand why he doesn't want to be treated so shabbily and chooses to stay away.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 15 Jan 2015, 07:47

MrMagpie wrote:Hackett seems to be happy and doing well with his own things, too...I can totally understand why he doesn't want to be treated so shabbily and chooses to stay away.

I agree with you....Hackett would have to fully compromise himself and cater to everyone else and I am glad he's resisted going back to that direction.. He's always been vastly underrated himself!

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 20 Jan 2015, 15:11

Not only that but he's always gotten treated pretty poorly by the others, mainly Banks and Rutherford.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 21 Jan 2015, 07:48

MrMagpie wrote:Not only that but he's always gotten treated pretty poorly by the others, mainly Banks and Rutherford.
By Rutherford? I would have never expected that! I obviously know how Banks treated everyone, but not Mike.....

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 21 Jan 2015, 18:31

Probably not directly, but Mike seems to just go along with whatever Tony says...

It's weird, because Peter, Tony, and Mike have all been friends since they were 15, so obviously those ties run deep.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 22 Jan 2015, 08:15

MrMagpie wrote:Probably not directly, but Mike seems to just go along with whatever Tony says...

It's weird, because Peter, Tony, and Mike have all been friends since they were 15, so obviously those ties run deep.

That's quite unfortunate!

I just wish they reunited, but no way would Peter agree to perform any of the latter material or they would do any of Peter's or Phil's solo songs.....

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 22 Jan 2015, 19:06

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
MrMagpie wrote:Probably not directly, but Mike seems to just go along with whatever Tony says...

I just wish they reunited, but no way would Peter agree to perform any of the latter material or they would do any of Peter's or Phil's solo songs.....
I don't think that's the obstacle, I'm sure they could make that work. But what about Phil? Apparently he can't play the drums anymore, so you'd end up with 2 singers and a substitute drummer.

I don't think it'll happen sadly. I'd have gone to see them.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Jan 2015, 10:57

mr_spenalzo wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:

I don't think that's the obstacle, I'm sure they could make that work. But what about Phil? Apparently he can't play the drums anymore, so you'd end up with 2 singers and a substitute drummer.

I don't think it'll happen sadly. I'd have gone to see them.

Yeah, I heard about Phil being unfit to play drums.... However, I just don't know if Phil nor Peter can check their egos enough (mainly Peter) to sing alongside each other.....