The Genesis Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Post Reply
User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

The Genesis Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 25 Nov 2014, 05:36

What's your favorite era of the band and why?
Image

mr_spenalzo
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 Sep 2014, 18:38

Re: The Genesis Thread

Post by mr_spenalzo » 25 Nov 2014, 19:34

Probably a predictable answer, but the run from Nursery Cryme until Wind & Wuthering is hard to beat. I do find things to like in their output before and after those records though... I'm a sucker for something like "Hold On My Heart", which, had McCartney written it, would have been held in far higher regard than it is. It's Collins' "Here, There & Everywhere".

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: The Genesis Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 26 Nov 2014, 02:49

mr_spenalzo wrote:Probably a predictable answer, but the run from Nursery Cryme until Wind & Wuthering is hard to beat. I do find things to like in their output before and after those records though... I'm a sucker for something like "Hold On My Heart", which, had McCartney written it, would have been held in far higher regard than it is. It's Collins' "Here, There & Everywhere".
I love everything but "Calling All Stations" (and for obvious reasons!)..... I love "Duke" - "We Can't Dance" mainly all for sentimental reasons, but do love the Peter Gabriel era (IE "Lamb Lies Down").......
Image

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2446
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: The Genesis Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 26 Nov 2014, 07:52

Interesting band Genesis - an un-cool act that were often good. I think they were consistent over 20 years or so until the early 90s.

Even in the later 80s, when almost all music declined, Genesis/Phil Collins/Peter Gabriel could be described as amongst the brighter spots in the mediocrity.

At this time, they became overplayed and ubiquitous, which caused some of the backlash against Collins. In a recent TV documentary, he mentioned that this had happened.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

mr_spenalzo
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 Sep 2014, 18:38

Re: The Genesis Thread

Post by mr_spenalzo » 27 Nov 2014, 18:44

To be honest I haven't heard Calling All Stations, so I'll not judge this phase for now.

"Carpet Crawlers" and "Firth Of Fifth" are probably my favourite songs of theirs. But have amazing (and very different) Hackett work too.

mr_spenalzo
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 Sep 2014, 18:38

Re: The Genesis Thread

Post by mr_spenalzo » 27 Nov 2014, 18:48

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Collins
I really don't get the crap he gets flung at him. I really don't like a lot of his solo stuff, but people treat him like he was a war criminal. Any time I see an interview he seems like a nice, funny and self-deprecating fellow. Ok, so he got divorced by fax, but that's a bit of a guy thing to do, no? We break off with girls by blanking them or being rude to them. It's a wealthy guy's privilige to divorce that way as well.

Tony Banks, on the other hand, never fails to come across as a jerk and a dick.

User avatar
MsMagicAmerica
Posts: 1538
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 15:33
Location: New Jersey,USA
Contact:

Re: The Genesis Thread

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 28 Nov 2014, 10:37

mr_spenalzo wrote:
Mallard No. 22 wrote:Collins
I really don't get the crap he gets flung at him. I really don't like a lot of his solo stuff, but people treat him like he was a war criminal. Any time I see an interview he seems like a nice, funny and self-deprecating fellow. Ok, so he got divorced by fax, but that's a bit of a guy thing to do, no? We break off with girls by blanking them or being rude to them. It's a wealthy guy's privilige to divorce that way as well.

Tony Banks, on the other hand, never fails to come across as a jerk and a dick.
I feel the same about both points. (Although, the divorce by a fax was a dick move) Tony always seems like his nose in in the air.

Phil Collins era is my favorite era. I grew up in the 80's and my Mom was a huge Genesis/ Collins fan.
I saw them live in 1992 in Philadelphia and it was a great show.

My top 10 Genesis songs are:

1-Ripples (Absolute Favorite song of theirs)
2-A Trick of the Trail
3-Mama
4-Home by the Sea
5-Just a Job to Do
6-Man on the Corner
7+Misunderstanding
8-Land of Confusion
9-Domino
10-Abacab

I've never been a fan of "Follow You Follow Me" it's sadly one of the songs played on the all of the time and it's just too sappy for me
Image

User avatar
MsMagicAmerica
Posts: 1538
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 15:33
Location: New Jersey,USA
Contact:

Re: The Genesis Thread

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 30 Nov 2014, 19:15

Rolling Stone article 20 insanely great genesis songs only hardcore fans will know:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... n-20141010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image

mr_spenalzo
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 Sep 2014, 18:38

Re: The Genesis Thread

Post by mr_spenalzo » 30 Nov 2014, 19:38

It's undoubtedly an interesting piec, but I just wish websites stopped putting all these fucking youtube links all over the place... slows down the whole thing. What happened with the interesting written piece, just words... The only thing worse is websites that do one item per page. fucking 2010's..

User avatar
MsMagicAmerica
Posts: 1538
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 15:33
Location: New Jersey,USA
Contact:

Re: The Genesis Thread

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 01 Dec 2014, 17:17

mr_spenalzo wrote:It's undoubtedly an interesting piec, but I just wish websites stopped putting all these fucking youtube links all over the place... slows down the whole thing. What happened with the interesting written piece, just words... The only thing worse is websites that do one item per page. fucking 2010's..
I 100% agree! I had to view it on my phone because the youtube clips froze my computer up. They could just put a link instead of the actual video
Image

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2446
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: The Genesis Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 02 Dec 2014, 18:42

mr_spenalzo wrote:
Mallard No. 22 wrote:Collins
I really don't get the crap he gets flung at him. I really don't like a lot of his solo stuff, but people treat him like he was a war criminal. Any time I see an interview he seems like a nice, funny and self-deprecating fellow.
Hi mr_spenalzo -I don't have a problem with him. He did end up getting crap flung at him, possibly because he was a fixture in a dull time for music creativity (the later 80s). I saw him interviewed recently and he does come across as self-deprecating. :D
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: The Genesis Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 14 Dec 2014, 15:56

I cannot figure out the animosity towards Phil either.....True, there are legion of fans who resent him from leading them to a more commercial sound, but the band wouldn't have lasted longer during that era if they remained progressive..... They like other bands had to compromise and/or just reinvent themselves for the initial MTV wave at the time or else they wouldn't be as relevant as they are today.
Image

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2446
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: The Genesis Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 16 Dec 2014, 08:25

Yes, that is right. 'Prog' music was very uncool in the 80s. The music press tended to disregard anything pre-punk.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: The Genesis Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 16 Dec 2014, 16:47

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Yes, that is right. 'Prog' music was very uncool in the 80s. The music press tended to disregard anything pre-punk.
Only other successful Progressive bands during the early MTV era to survive were Yes and Rush (both really had to simplify their sound in order to last).... Asia was formed around that time, but they were more pop-oriented on most of their hits, but that supergroup obviously had more progressive yearnings but again wouldn't have survive which is quite depressing.

Genesis desperately had to go in that direction or else they would have crashed and burned. At least during their more commercial sounding albums with Phil they still managed a couple progressive tracks per album so they didn't completely alienate off their fan base. Heck, even Peter Gabriel himself sold out during the 80s and everyone seems to overlook that!
Image

mr_spenalzo
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 Sep 2014, 18:38

Re: The Genesis Thread

Post by mr_spenalzo » 16 Dec 2014, 18:53

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
Mallard No. 22 wrote:Yes, that is right. 'Prog' music was very uncool in the 80s. The music press tended to disregard anything pre-punk.
Only other successful Progressive bands during the early MTV era to survive were Yes and Rush (both really had to simplify their sound in order to last).... Asia was formed around that time, but they were more pop-oriented on most of their hits, but that supergroup obviously had more progressive yearnings but again wouldn't have survive which is quite depressing.

Genesis desperately had to go in that direction or else they would have crashed and burned. At least during their more commercial sounding albums with Phil they still managed a couple progressive tracks per album so they didn't completely alienate off their fan base. Heck, even Peter Gabriel himself sold out during the 80s and everyone seems to overlook that!
Peter Gabriel did no such thing, So is amazing! :o

Post Reply