The Bruce Sprinsteen thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

MsMagicAmerica

The Bruce Sprinsteen thread

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 16 Nov 2014, 16:11

A thread for my fellow New Jerseyan, the Boss, Bruce Springsteen.

As a resident of New Jersey, you have to like at least one or two Bruce songs (as well as some Bon Jovi and Frank Sinatra songs). It wasn't until 10 years ago that I got his album Greetings from Asbury Park, New Jersey that I started to like him more. In October 2009, he played one of the last concerts at a well beloved Philadelphia arena which was to be destroyed. So my Mom and I went as we have always heard how he puts on a great show. Man does he ever! The band played for three hours I think and despite not really knowing many of his songs, I really enjoyed the songs. He played the whole album of Born to Run that night.

Since then I have had a huge appreciation for him and his music. Greetings From Asbury Park is still my favorite album by him, but I would have to say Born to Run is second. I remember my 2nd grade teacher loved him and had a poster of the cover of his Born in the USA album (basically his ass in tigh fit jeans) in a closet in the classroom.

What does everyone else think of him? Favorite songs? Least favorites?

mr_spenalzo

Re: The Bruce Sprinsteen thread

Post by mr_spenalzo » 16 Nov 2014, 17:01

He was very present at an early age, Bruce. I was 5 when Born In The U.S.A. was released, and it (along with Peter Gabriel's So and Kate Bush's Hounds Of Love) were records my dad loved and played to death. I remember my dad went to a Bruce Springsteen concert with my uncle, who was an even bigger fan. Very big fan actually (he'd later go to America to see Springsteen).

I got my chance a few years later, when Bruce came to Europe for the Tunnel Of Love tour. My dad and uncle took me to Rotterdam, 29th of June 1988: my first concert and it was completely surreal. One, it was much later than my normal bedtime. My teacher at primary school had been warned I might be a little tired the day after, in fact. I remember she was jealous (or she played it). I remember someone broke a seat, and I sat in the neck of a drunken stranger. I didn't know most of the songs, only those from Bruce's last two albums, but it was amazing.

Then the nineties and puberty came; metal, grunge, britpop, and whatnot. Bruce Springsteen sucked. Human Touch and Lucky Town were on my radar somewhat (about the same level as Shakespear's Sister and Annie Lennox), and for the rest of the decade he didn't exist. Not until I went to an Idlewild concert in 2000, and I noticed a copy of Springsteen's Greatest Hits on their tourbus. I was expecting it to be the bus driver's CD, but it turned out that my then-favourite indie band were Springsteen fans. Odd. Might need to give him another chance.

I didn't, but for my 22nd birthday my dad bought me a copy of Nebraska. He figured I might like it. He figured right, and from that point on I started rediscovering Bruce's catalogue, and I've bought all his new releases since (when I re-discovered his music he hadn't released an album for 6 or 7 years, but that was about to change). I finally got him.

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 16 Nov 2014, 17:07

Ok, I'll try ranking his 18 studio albums:

01. Darkness On The Edge Of Town
02. Born To Run
03. The Wild, The Innocent & The E-Street Shuffle
04. Born In The U.S.A.
05. Wrecking Ball
06. Tunnel Of Love
07. The River
08. The Rising
09. Nebraska
10. Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J.
11. Magic
12. We Shall Overcome
13. Lucky Town
14. The Ghost Of Tom Joad
15. Devils & Dust
16. High Hopes
17. Human Touch
18. Working On A Dream

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 17 Nov 2014, 00:18

Not a massive fan, I can never seem to get into his music. But I LOVE Nebraska.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 27 Nov 2014, 18:41

I think "Nebraska" is the Springsteen album a lot of non-fans like... such a lo-fi recording was unheard of for such a big artist back then.

"Adam Raised A Cain" is a good one too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upWttjG49Fk

Bought this in the weekend.. fantastic to hear these albums again, sounding so great as well.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 09 Dec 2014, 22:36

tom_cas1 wrote:I can never seem to get into his music.
Yes, a bit too mainstream for me as well. In the way that Bryan Adams is.

I don't doubt his ability though.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 10 Dec 2014, 17:47

Mallard No. 22 wrote: Yes, a bit too mainstream for me as well. In the way that Bryan Adams is.

That's like saying Bob Dylan's a bit too much like Jake Bugg!!

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 11 Dec 2014, 06:39

UGH! Get past the Born in the USA album and the Born to Run song!

Born in the USA was mainstream 80's rock, but it still had some great songs on it (Cover Me &I'm on Fire have been favorites of mine since they came out) but lyrically they are a lot deeper if you will then mainstream rock from that time. Most people (including Ronald Regan) think the song Born in the USA is all about being patriotic and being proud to have been born in the USA, but in fact it's a song about the Vietnam war's effects on the US and how horribly the US treated their vets when they came home from fighting the Vietnam war.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 11 Dec 2014, 17:21

Interesting points folks. I suppose in the UK the 'Born In The USA' album and 'Born To Run' single are his most obvious works. So they are his reference points.

I've never possessed a Springsteen or Bryan Adams album. And I don't really know Jake Bugg at all. I have had several Dylan albums.

My preference is for the (slightly left-of-centre) music that influenced Blur.

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 14 Dec 2014, 08:42

Mallard No. 22 wrote: My preference is for the (slightly left-of-centre) music that influenced Blur.
Bowie, one of those slightly left-of-centre influences on Blur, covered three Spingsteen songs during the seventies :P

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 14 Dec 2014, 14:00

Did he really? Which ones?

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 14 Dec 2014, 14:54

"Growing Up" and "It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City"... I don't remember the third one is, it wasn't released... it may have been "Blinded By The Light".

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 16 Dec 2014, 08:16

Bowie always cast his net wide - including young Americans.... :mrgreen: