The Jimi Hendrix Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

KingLouieLouie76

Re: The Jimi Hendrix Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 21 Jan 2015, 08:10

Mallard No. 22 wrote:It is an interesting thought that he was collaborating with Mason and Jones. And the possibility of forming a band with Winwood (where I assume Mason and Jones would also be involved).

But Jimi and Brian were erratic, and the nature of supergroup projects at the time was transient. I like to think it would have been good, but it might have emerged as a one-off LP in 1971, and not an ongoing part of the 70s rock scene throughout the decade.

I posted this before..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqqaw9iN0Js" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Then several years later a version with newly added Noel Redding vocals was recorded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEXS-W2gIJU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

People believe Brian Jones was murdered..Mainly because also several demos and compositions of his were stolen from his vault..... I bet some might have included Jimi.......

I don't know if Winwood would have been able to work w/Mason (even if Jimi was involved) because they always disagreed creatively...

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 24 Jan 2015, 08:50

There is no doubt that Brian and Jimi were still potent at the time of their deaths.

They were probably big enough to break the grip of their existing record deals. Which lends weight to the 'murder' theories.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 24 Jan 2015, 09:10

Mallard No. 22 wrote:There is no doubt that Brian and Jimi were still potent at the time of their deaths.

They were probably big enough to break the grip of their existing record deals. Which lends weight to the 'murder' theories.
What is so odd is that the Stones themselves apparently were on the verge of terminating Brian due to his erratic behavior, but during that time he was churning some genius work w/Jimi which doesn't make everything really add up on the surface. Perhaps it was Brian became too disenchanted with the Stones direction at the time and therefore he didn't vest much time w/them. Hard to say really.....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 24 Jan 2015, 09:27

I think Brian was disenchanted with them. But he was also regarded as separate certainly by Mick & Keith if not the wider management.

And Brian had health problems, both physically and in frame of mind. He was difficult and erratic.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 26 Jan 2015, 03:06

I read a story that Keith pulled out a knife on Brian...this was after a bitter battle between Mick/Keith vs. Brian regarding who had the band's naming-rights... This so happened during the morning of Brian's death.... Also, apparently a suspect has been revealed in a few publications as well...All very fascinating indeed!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 27 Jan 2015, 06:57

He had actually left the Stones a month before his death.

Don't know about the knife incident, but maybe - relations were strained.

A suspect is known about - wasn't mentioned in Bill Wyman's book (1990) though more info has come to light since then.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 06 Feb 2015, 09:37

Mallard No. 22 wrote:He had actually left the Stones a month before his death.

Don't know about the knife incident, but maybe - relations were strained.

A suspect is known about - wasn't mentioned in Bill Wyman's book (1990) though more info has come to light since then.
This is a fascinating read regarding Brian's death: http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_m ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 11 Feb 2015, 09:32

Yes, interesting read. It sheds light on the situation.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 14 Feb 2015, 07:39

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Yes, interesting read. It sheds light on the situation.

You imagine if hypothetically Brian did indeed gain the naming rights and said hey... Jimi, let's invite a few other elite musicians and form under the monicker of the Rolling Stones....What if also he also got their catalog?

It was alleged that songs were stolen out of Brian's vault when he died, so those could have rivaled anything else the remainder of the Stones were doing.

Perhaps yes this is all too drastic, but we never know.....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 17 Feb 2015, 07:45

There is no doubt that Brian had the talent. Though, like Jimi Hendrix he was under all kinds of stresses when he died, whether self-inflicted or not.

Like Syd Barrett, I see difficulties in Jimi & Brian getting further work done at that time.

But I like to think it would have been possible, and that it would have been good. :)

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 20 Feb 2015, 14:58

Mallard No. 22 wrote:There is no doubt that Brian had the talent. Though, like Jimi Hendrix he was under all kinds of stresses when he died, whether self-inflicted or not.

Like Syd Barrett, I see difficulties in Jimi & Brian getting further work done at that time.

But I like to think it would have been possible, and that it would have been good. :)

Just how "There Ain't Nothing Wrong (With That)" sounded really piques my interest.... I wonder if there are other bootlegs out there? I think they would have overcome their respective demons (like Clapton eventually did) and put on some solid material together.....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 23 Feb 2015, 07:13

Might have depended on who would manage them.

Hendrix was reputed to be within sight of overcoming his existing management/contractual problems. But this is said to be the theory for his 'murder'.

Whereas the Rolling Stones had their own record company for their releases from 1971 onwards. Brian's posthumous LP 'The Pipes Of Pan At Joujouka' was released on this label (it was a recording of Moroccan musicians in 1968). This suggests that Brian could have had an active solo career within this organisation had he been motivated.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 27 Feb 2015, 14:01

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Might have depended on who would manage them.

Hendrix was reputed to be within sight of overcoming his existing management/contractual problems. But this is said to be the theory for his 'murder'.

Whereas the Rolling Stones had their own record company for their releases from 1971 onwards. Brian's posthumous LP 'The Pipes Of Pan At Joujouka' was released on this label (it was a recording of Moroccan musicians in 1968). This suggests that Brian could have had an active solo career within this organisation had he been motivated.

What is so intriguing is how Brian managed to put together such an effort in the midst of a period in which he was deteriorating beyond anything else! Or was he just putting on a facade while w/the Stones seemingly being detached because he wasn't interested in their direction? It's so hard to say.....

I think w/the right management a "Super Group" involving Hendrix, Jones, and perhaps Winwood would effectively have worked, but still don't know if that would have lasted all too long though....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 02 Mar 2015, 07:04

It was possible, there was several such projects in that period.

They reflected the spirit of the times, but were also transient.

E.g. Eric Clapton went from Cream to Blind Faith to Delaney & Bonney to Derek & The Dominoes in just two years.

I have seen a clip of Robert Stigwood (Cream/Clapton manager) interviewed on TV in 1969. He saw albums/supergroups as 'projects' where members could come & go from album to album.

But I think this probably presented contractual problems with credits/royalties etc. Other managers would be less keen on this approach and would want definite line-ups that could be controlled.

It is theoretically possible that Hendrix, Jones & others could have formed a supergroup 'project' in 1970-71. Though wherever they were by 1972 they would probably have had to stay because the music industry was settling down.

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 02 Mar 2015, 15:01

Chiming in late here (massive Hendrix fan :) )...but I don't think Jimi really would've worked well with others where he wasn't the dominant creative force, UNLESS he was working with someone equally (or moreso) dominant who he respected and would listen to. For instance, I think he could have worked fine with Paul McCartney or Clapton, for example, but someone like Brian Jones he would have walked all over.

Coincidentally I'm listening to his two Berkeley shows from 1970 (1st show at the moment)...he was still phenomenal in the last year of his life...such a waste that he died while still at his peak. But music was about the only thing going right in his life by 1970.

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem