The Jimi Hendrix Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

mr_spenalzo

Re: The Jimi Hendrix Thread

Post by mr_spenalzo » 25 Nov 2014, 19:43

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
Mallard No. 22 wrote:His death was put down to 'drugs' in 1970. It could be portrayed like this to contemporary adults, a large majority of whom were of the wartime generations.

If they had heard of him, they wouldn't necessarily like him. The newsreader mentions that he was only really known to those 'under 30'.

So he could be killed, and few would have sympathy, or would suspect any wrongdoing. :shock:

That "under 30" comment shocked me some, but I am applying today's perspective and not the generation gap of those who were in their early-mid 30s from the the mid 60s to perhaps the early 80s when there was still such a huge gap. Back in the late 60s and in the early 70s those in their 30s were listening to soft easy listening type music, like Bobby Goldsboro or Engelbert Humperdinck, Tony Orlando...etc..who thought that Hendrix was WAY BEYOND radical.... Now, us in our 30s are into heavier sounding music that even makes Hendrix seem not as extreme..... It always joked to my friends how we'll be in our late 90s all head banging to Metal! haha.. I hate now the music from my generation now being deemed as "Classic Rock"... Makes me feel old at 37! :P
It will probably be the same reaction from us here and now if someone from X-Factor or some fucker that's a star on Youtube or something dies.... who???

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 26 Nov 2014, 02:21

mr_spenalzo wrote: It will probably be the same reaction from us here and now if someone from X-Factor or some fucker that's a star on Youtube or something dies.... who???
Lord, isn't that the harsh truth? But aren't any of those from X-Factor, American Idol, etc really that 'hip"? Hendrix was exploring boundaries that everyone should have appreciated at the time, also he truthfully was a music aficionado who expressed that by playing vintage blues and expanding on it that again all ages should have applauded him.

But today, we obviously know all of those from those shows are quite manufactured to a higher extent and lack any ounce of innovation....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 26 Nov 2014, 07:46

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
Mallard No. 22 wrote:His death was put down to 'drugs' in 1970. It could be portrayed like this to contemporary adults, a large majority of whom were of the wartime generations.

The newsreader mentions that he was only really known to those 'under 30'.
That "under 30" comment shocked me some, but I am applying today's perspective and not the generation gap of those who were in their early-mid 30s...who thought that Hendrix was WAY BEYOND radical....
There was much indifference to individuals 'pushing boundaries'. People over 30 were older in those days than now. 'Teenagers' and 'fashions' had, to a large extent, only been introduced fifteen years earlier with rock n roll. Before that, people went straight from childhood into being young men or women. The only thing in between might have been an apprenticeship or military service.

It was a mentality that those over 30 still maintained. It was rock n roll and subsequent music that began to challenge this, and remove it.

Strangely, the 'X-Factor/American Idol' type shows have gone back to the 50s. Whereby the music industry has total command of the product, consumed in unison without question in sterile, health & safety-organised venues.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 14 Dec 2014, 16:15

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:

The newsreader mentions that he was only really known to those 'under 30'.
That "under 30" comment shocked me some, but I am applying today's perspective and not the generation gap of those who were in their early-mid 30s...who thought that Hendrix was WAY BEYOND radical....
There was much indifference to individuals 'pushing boundaries'. People over 30 were older in those days than now. 'Teenagers' and 'fashions' had, to a large extent, only been introduced fifteen years earlier with rock n roll. Before that, people went straight from childhood into being young men or women. The only thing in between might have been an apprenticeship or military service.

It was a mentality that those over 30 still maintained. It was rock n roll and subsequent music that began to challenge this, and remove it.

Strangely, the 'X-Factor/American Idol' type shows have gone back to the 50s. Whereby the music industry has total command of the product, consumed in unison without question in sterile, health & safety-organised venues.

I love everything you said...especially your last comment! "X-Factor/American Idol" are similar to the "Mouseketeers" in the Mickey Mouse Club....Just all too pure/pristine for my taste and just in general... Or, you have the Fabians, Pat Boones, Paul Ankas....etc........

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 16 Dec 2014, 08:54

It's true KLL76 - individuality and creativity have been marginalised just as they were pre-rock n roll. It is scary. :shock:

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 16 Dec 2014, 16:57

Mallard No. 22 wrote:It's true KLL76 - individuality and creativity have been marginalised just as they were pre-rock n roll. It is scary. :shock:
Oh...I know....And we've patiently been waiting for that revolutionary to come long and help rescue music, but it seems Pete Townshend now is especially right by singing.."rock is dead"......But again, we cannot fathom how much music would have progressed if Hendrix remained alive, the boundaries he alone would have discovered and that can be said with the other geniuses that left before or after him.... IE Buddy Holly.....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 18 Dec 2014, 08:26

The premature deaths are tragic. The same as when a group splits at their peak (e.g. The Beatles, The Jam). But equally these artists left a complete body of work that remained consistent (& progressing) throughout its short life. And didn't descend into sporadic blandness.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 24 Dec 2014, 16:04

Mallard No. 22 wrote:The premature deaths are tragic. The same as when a group splits at their peak (e.g. The Beatles, The Jam). But equally these artists left a complete body of work that remained consistent (& progressing) throughout its short life. And didn't descend into sporadic blandness.

Yeah, I agree with looking into the opposite end of the spectrum as well and you're definitely correct. Perhaps some who left prematurely were already at their apex (creative and least importantly commercial peak) that they could have essentially destroyed their legacy in the process. It certainly obviously works both ways for sure!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 29 Dec 2014, 07:59

I suspect that Hendrix had produced a lot of his best work by 1970.

But there was flashes of more to come - e.g. 'Straight Ahead' which went onto his first posthumous album. Similar to the kind of jazz-funk sound of Chicago, The Ides Of March etc at the time.

Jimi was of course in the midst of business problems at the time of his death. He was party to an obscure recording contract signed before he became famous. For this he had to deliver 'The Band Of Gypsies' album. He also had difficulties with his current manager Mike Jeffreys.

If these problems were resolved, maybe he could have continued as a major star, like The Beatles members, and the Stones did. They had resolved similar problems. Otherwise he might have had a semi-obscure 70s, like Joe Cocker. Or worse, a fade away like Steve Marriot.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 29 Dec 2014, 17:46

I don't think Hendrix would have faded away. His manager at the time of his death was god awful, and some say he was involved in his death. Supposedly Hendrix was worth more to him dead than alive. I've no doubt he would have carried on. The Black Gold demos I mentioned before are the Holy Grail of Hendrix recordings. Based on the one song that's actually been heard, they could have been a great collection of songs if he'd have lived.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 02 Jan 2015, 07:56

I hope he would have carried on. He might have made some good records around 1973-74, with better recording techniques than the 60s available.

Other artists like the solo Beatles, Stones, Zep etc were still on a roll at this time.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 02 Jan 2015, 21:31

I don't know, I think music quality deteriorated post-60's and has only recently gotten back up to the same level. If you listen to a lot of 70's, 80's and 90's stuff it sounds 'muddy' compared to the 60's. Abbey Road, in particular, is a crisp sounding album production wise. Improved recording techniques and technology doesn't necessarily mean better production.

But alas, that's a conversation for another thread. Shall someone start a 'Production Thread'? :lol:
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 Jan 2015, 09:25

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 14 Jan 2015, 12:33

tom_cas1 wrote:I don't think Hendrix would have faded away. His manager at the time of his death was god awful, and some say he was involved in his death. Supposedly Hendrix was worth more to him dead than alive. I've no doubt he would have carried on. The Black Gold demos I mentioned before are the Holy Grail of Hendrix recordings. Based on the one song that's actually been heard, they could have been a great collection of songs if he'd have lived.

I really concur with this statement! Plus, Hendrix was starting to collaborate with the likes of Brian Jones and Dave Mason....He ultimately would have formed a band with Winwood (imagine that?)........I still contend that he would have further revolutionized music to newer heights that we still haven't experienced and probably never will!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 17 Jan 2015, 09:29

It is an interesting thought that he was collaborating with Mason and Jones. And the possibility of forming a band with Winwood (where I assume Mason and Jones would also be involved).

But Jimi and Brian were erratic, and the nature of supergroup projects at the time was transient. I like to think it would have been good, but it might have emerged as a one-off LP in 1971, and not an ongoing part of the 70s rock scene throughout the decade.