The Jimi Hendrix Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

KingLouieLouie76

The Jimi Hendrix Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 04 Nov 2014, 05:19

Again, I could discuss him nonstop, but reserving that for later...How does everyone else feel about him?

TripleJay97

Re: The Jimi Hendrix Thread

Post by TripleJay97 » 04 Nov 2014, 05:22

Great thread 8-)

Are You Experienced is one of my favourite albums ever. Hendrix was a master of psychedelia.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 04 Nov 2014, 22:18

Duran Duran Thread excluded, I approve of your thread making Louie! 8-) :mrgreen:

Electric Ladyland for me is an amazing album. My favourite from The Jimi Hendrix Experience although I love all three of course!!

Just going away from the Experience slightly, it would have been interesting to hear what kind of direction he would have gone in if he hadn't have died. I really hope the Black Gold tapes are released in full sometime. For those who don't know, they are 16 tracks he recorded in demo form right before he died. One was released (Suddenly November Morning) on the most recent Hendrix Anthology release from a few years ago, but apart from that one track, NO OTHERS are available to listen to. That's a damn shame.

For those that haven't heard it, this is the track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R24y0cmJY_4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I love the feel of the song, different to what he did before. Mitch Mitchell had the tapes for 22 years after his death. Hendrix gave them to him before he died. You can read more on them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Gold_(Jimi_Hendrix_recordings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 05 Nov 2014, 07:31

Given his strong position in music in 1970, I think he could have continued as a major rock star as per The Stones, The Who, Zep, solo Beatles, Dylan etc through the 70s and into the 80s. Probably albums-orientated rather than hit singles, which may have become sporadic.

He was apparently off-form just prior to his death, and I have heard it said that 'he had already destroyed his own talent'. But I think this dip could have been temporary, his death occurring whilst he was looking to rectify it. Remember that Dylan disappeared for a while in the late 60s after his accident, McCartney was apparently depressed in the summer of 1970 following the Beatles break-up, perhaps it took him a year or two to return to his hit-making stride.

So there was no reason why Jimi shouldn't have continued with a good career. But I just have a nagging feeling that, had he lived, he would have been in the Travelling Wilbury's by 1989.... :P
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 09 Nov 2014, 06:32

Jimi might have gone into jazz-fusion type rock...He might have been able to create a newer genre of his own! There's that letter he sent to Paul McCartney about potentially forming a supergroup with Miles Davis and Jazz virtuoso Tony Williams (on drums).....That was in 1969......

Then apparently he wanted to form a band w/Stevie Winwood (Winwood was on "Voodoo Chile")..... And Jimi also played w/Mason, Capaldi, and Wood (all three in Traffic obviously).....

Also, speculation about Jimi joining forced w/Brian Jones (formerly of the Stones) and Dave Mason.....Apparently, this a song they recorded together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqqaw9iN0Js" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a vocal version consisting of Noel Redding adding vocals a couple decades later which sounded brilliant! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEXS-W2gIJU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know I go w/the minority on a lot.....My absolute fave Hendrix album was "Axis: Bold As Love".....

Hey..nothing wrong w/Duran Duran! haha :D

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 09 Nov 2014, 08:21

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:Jimi might have gone into jazz-fusion type rock...He might have been able to create a newer genre of his own!
Yes this is quite possible. Though I think his most potent work could have already been recorded by 1970.

There was a heady atmosphere in the late 60s. At this time the 'music industry' was forming in its own right, as a break away from traditional 'showbusiness'. This brought opportunities for new 'supergroups', with combinations of great writers, musicians, and performers.

But it was also riddled with a downside - ego clashes and ruthless management, to name but two. Jimi seems to be caught in the midst of this at the time of his death.

Had he lived, he might have had some group projects c. 1970-71 as per Clapton, but in the longer term may have settled into solo work with a lower profile cast of support musicians.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 11 Nov 2014, 05:47

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:Jimi might have gone into jazz-fusion type rock...He might have been able to create a newer genre of his own!
Yes this is quite possible. Though I think his most potent work could have already been recorded by 1970.

There was a heady atmosphere in the late 60s. At this time the 'music industry' was forming in its own right, as a break away from traditional 'showbusiness'. This brought opportunities for new 'supergroups', with combinations of great writers, musicians, and performers.

But it was also riddled with a downside - ego clashes and ruthless management, to name but two. Jimi seems to be caught in the midst of this at the time of his death.

Had he lived, he might have had some group projects c. 1970-71 as per Clapton, but in the longer term may have settled into solo work with a lower profile cast of support musicians.
I agree! I loved what he was doing with the Band of Gypsies...Him, Buddy Miles, and Billy Cox were all innovative together....They pushed the envelope even more than the Experience did!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 11 Nov 2014, 08:14

If Jimi had lived he would have to be his own man, like Joe Cocker and Bob Dylan.

Perhaps you can estimate his post-1970 career by using Cocker and Dylan as a guide.

They continued indefinitely, but probably their most potent material was up to 1970.

And I don't like to think of Hendrix being in the post-Live Aid stadium rock mainstream.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 11 Nov 2014, 20:34

I like to think Hendrix and Clapton would've gotten together at some point. I know Jimi joined Cream live on stage when he first came to the UK but I mean in the studio and more live shows. That would have been great. But alas, it was never to be.

What are everyones thoughts on his death? I've always thought it was suspicious. Lungs full of wine but no alcohol in his system? Always seemed off to me...
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 12 Nov 2014, 06:30

Never listened to his music closely until I heard the full length Voodoo Chile at a friend's house and was blown away. Still love E.L. Also recently got his Blues compilation album, which I forgot about. Still love Red House.

There's this also great blues song called Georgia Blues which he plays but does not sing:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Martin-Scorsese ... B001KNHG26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 12 Nov 2014, 07:03

First, here's some photos of Jimi along w/other distinguished faces:

Jimi would have invented a newer genre if he hadn't passed away, but I agree would have avoided going mainstream and would have remained selective on performing (very similar to Bob Dylan).......

I know there's some suspicions regarding his death, but obviously not to the extent about Jim Morrison's.... In fact.. here's newsreel footage reporting Jimi's death:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpgkRYeBoKw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jimi and EC had such a distinct mutual love, respect, and admiration of each other...Not just regarding their guitar playing, but in general..... Nowadays, there's too much competition and ill-will in music, that no way today would rivals carry on such a splendid relationship....They obviously weren't rivals whatsoever, they both made each others playing better.....
Last edited by KingLouieLouie76 on 15 Nov 2014, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 14 Nov 2014, 07:16

tom_cas1 wrote: I like to think Hendrix and Clapton would've gotten together at some point.
:D I think it could have happened - might still have been happening now. And similar to e.g. Joe Cocker, George Harrison, Eric Clapton and Peter Gabriel, Jimi might have had sporadic hit singles from successful albums, in the 80s and into the 90s.

tom_cas1 wrote:What are everyones thoughts on his death? I've always thought it was suspicious. Lungs full of wine but no alcohol in his system? Always seemed off to me...
:?: I think the poor guy was murdered, quite frankly.

Ditto Brian Jones.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 15 Nov 2014, 20:54

Finally edited my previous post......

To add.... Jimi would have collaborated with several from practically all genres and generated sounds that unfortunately we never got the opportunity to encounter... Imagine how innovative music would have been if he hadn't passed? Always that "what-if"?

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 17 Nov 2014, 06:34

His death was put down to 'drugs' in 1970. It could be portrayed like this to contemporary adults, a large majority of whom were of the wartime generations.

If they had heard of him, they wouldn't necessarily like him. The newsreader mentions that he was only really known to those 'under 30'.

So he could be killed, and few would have sympathy, or would suspect any wrongdoing. :shock:

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 25 Nov 2014, 05:25

Mallard No. 22 wrote:His death was put down to 'drugs' in 1970. It could be portrayed like this to contemporary adults, a large majority of whom were of the wartime generations.

If they had heard of him, they wouldn't necessarily like him. The newsreader mentions that he was only really known to those 'under 30'.

So he could be killed, and few would have sympathy, or would suspect any wrongdoing. :shock:

That "under 30" comment shocked me some, but I am applying today's perspective and not the generation gap of those who were in their early-mid 30s from the the mid 60s to perhaps the early 80s when there was still such a huge gap. Back in the late 60s and in the early 70s those in their 30s were listening to soft easy listening type music, like Bobby Goldsboro or Engelbert Humperdinck, Tony Orlando...etc..who thought that Hendrix was WAY BEYOND radical.... Now, us in our 30s are into heavier sounding music that even makes Hendrix seem not as extreme..... It always joked to my friends how we'll be in our late 90s all head banging to Metal! haha.. I hate now the music from my generation now being deemed as "Classic Rock"... Makes me feel old at 37! :P