The Fleetwood Mac Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

Mallard No. 22

Re: The Fleetwood Mac Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 30 Dec 2015, 20:06

Yes, a lot happened in a short space of time in the Peter Green incarnation.

Nowadays he come across as a bit eccentric, but generally well, in interviews.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 31 Dec 2015, 06:49

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Yes, a lot happened in a short space of time in the Peter Green incarnation.

Nowadays he come across as a bit eccentric, but generally well, in interviews.

At least Peter recovered. For a brief time it seemed he was destined for the same path as Syd Barrett.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about Danny Kirwan. I believe no one knows his true whereabouts or if even he's still alive.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 23 Jul 2016, 17:40

From a bit of delving online, the most recent piece of info I found on Kirwan was that he was homeless at some point in the 90's. And of course that was 20+ years ago so who knows, he really fell off the map BIG TIME. Massive shame. He has to be collecting royalties though from past performances and recordings.

It's not uncommon to be approached by homeless people in London, I often wonder if any of the older men I've seen asking for money is him. A sad thought indeed. :(

I'm currently listening to a bootleg recording I was sent from a good friend of mine, a bootleg called Blues Jam In Chicago. Two volumes to be precise from 1969 when Fleetwood Mac went over and recorded at Chess Records with the bluesman including Otis Spann, Honeyboy Edwards (he was a friend of Robert Johnson back in the day), Willie Dixon, Buddy Guy, J. T. Brown and Walter "Shakey" Horton. What a collection of superb blues numbers!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 24 Jul 2016, 01:20

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:Kirwan can be compared to Syd Barrett in terms of having several of the "paparazzi" chase after him on the street and take several photos of him while he's a recluse:

Here's a photo of him from 1993: Image

Here's also a wonderful interview of him 1996 reflecting what inspired him to get interested into music and several fond Fleetwood Mac memories: http://bla.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php?p ... id=38&c=16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He was merely 18 when he joined and couldn't tolerate fame whatsoever and had to distance himself from it...Albeit not in the best manner obviously and he's had bouts of mental illness as well.

I really love the album, "Future Games"..... The title track is exceptional by itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWepQ4Ns9Yo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Welch/Kirwan on guitar together were perfect...they read each other quite well!

Quoting this old post specifically for tom_cas1....... I guess that's the last time here in which anyone heard from Kirwan........

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 27 Jul 2016, 01:50

Then Play On and especially Tusk are fantastic peaks for FM

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 28 Jul 2016, 18:00

Then Play On is excellent, as is Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac and Mr. Wonderful. I think I prefer them as a live band though generally, I've been listening to a lot of 68-70-era bootleg recordings lately and Green was immense on so many levels. Currently listening to a recording from the 30th January 1970 when the band played at the Warehouse in New Orleans, the opening night of the venue actually. Superb...just superb! But by the end of that May (1970) Green was gone and Spencer left less than a year later (February 1971).

Interesting point here, the band brought Peter Green out of "retirement" to finish off that 1971 tour after Spencer left. Not a massively well known fact even though it was only for a handful of shows, literally only until that tour had finished. But by then the band already sounded considerably different due to the addition of Christine McVie in August 1970. They went downhill from there in my opinion, their entire life-force sucked from them with the departure of Green, after all he was the founding member.

I wish Peter Green was more appreciated in wider music circles. For me at least he's Britain's second best guitarist after Eric Clapton. It would be interesting to see how his career and life had turned out without all the drug taking and the mental breakdown that happened because of the drug taking. A fine guitarist.

The same can be said for Jeremy Spencer as well of course, pretty much fell off the map after leaving the Mac and joining that religious group in 1971. He's at least still with it though unlike Green who (sadly) is a shadow of his former self. Really sad.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 29 Jul 2016, 00:32

There are so many parallels between Green and Syd Barrett that it is unreal! But lord I still feel the biggest travesty is Kirwan. He was merely 19 when he first emerged w/Fleetwood Mac" and was going to gradually expand his sound further. Spencer's role in the group diminished some even before he left for the morning newspaper and never returned. But yes, their sound obviously evolved quite a bit w/Christie joining. I still love the Bob Welch era....Again, I echo what I always say.... He was the ideal musician to help with the transition into what Fleetwood Mac ultimately turned into it..... Just too many tragedies within this band...especially their guitarist!

I love this version of "Green Manalishi", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht6APR8iOME" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't dare compare it to the original, but Bob Welch proves his guitar and vocal chops on this! A very underappreciated musician, the late Bob Welch was!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 30 Jul 2016, 15:17

I hadn't heard that version of Green Manalishi before, not sure I like it that much. The great thing about the original, and the versions played with Peter Green live on stage, is that's it's so raw. That version sounds a lot more rehearsed (if that's the right way to describe it). What I mean by that is...Peter Green obviously wrote the song and he had a unique view of it when playing live. He knew every aspect of it and what he could do in the song when performing it live. Every other guitarist is, in a way, following a script. It's never going to sound as natural. If that makes sense?

I haven't heard much of the Bob Welch era aside from Bare Trees, but I much prefer Danny Kirwan's songs on that album. It would have been interesting to see what direction the band would have taken if Kirwan had remained with them, Child Of Mine in particular is excellent and showed what a great guitarist, writer AND singer he was. But alas, it wasn't to be and they went in a completely different direction.

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 30 Jul 2016, 17:29

Well, I love "Landslide" :P

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 31 Jul 2016, 01:11

First, I love "Landslide"... one of my all-time fave Nicks/Buckingham era songs and really loved Smashing Pumpkins cover of it as well...

tom_cas1 wrote:I hadn't heard that version of Green Manalishi before, not sure I like it that much. The great thing about the original, and the versions played with Peter Green live on stage, is that's it's so raw. That version sounds a lot more rehearsed (if that's the right way to describe it). What I mean by that is...Peter Green obviously wrote the song and he had a unique view of it when playing live. He knew every aspect of it and what he could do in the song when performing it live. Every other guitarist is, in a way, following a script. It's never going to sound as natural. If that makes sense?

I haven't heard much of the Bob Welch era aside from Bare Trees, but I much prefer Danny Kirwan's songs on that album. It would have been interesting to see what direction the band would have taken if Kirwan had remained with them, Child Of Mine in particular is excellent and showed what a great guitarist, writer AND singer he was. But alas, it wasn't to be and they went in a completely different direction.
Oh, I completely understand and agree with where you're coming from.... Also, what's your reaction to the Buckingham led-cover? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VaVBu2uzjE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm mixed on it... Buckingham's voice isn't really suited for the darkness/rawness Green conveyed.....

I've posted this before, but this is from "Mystery To Me",which consisted of both Bob Welch and Bob Weston on rhythm and lead guitars respectively. Weston was terminated from the group because he had an affair w/Fleetwood's wife......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MUxCzEhLQY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, would have been intriguing to see how they would have evolved if either Green and/or Kirwan or both would have remained the band longer. Green was starting to expand their sound further than just the Blues since Blues Rock was starting to gradually fade. Kirwan was gifted with such an excellent voice that he could have become a metal singer himself and adapted his guitar playing to that. What a waste of immense talent indeed!

You rank Clapton and Green your 2 fave English guitarist... where do you place Jeff Beck on your list?

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 02 Aug 2016, 07:18

tom_cas1 wrote:I wish Peter Green was more appreciated in wider music circles. For me at least he's Britain's second best guitarist after Eric Clapton. It would be interesting to see how his career and life had turned out without all the drug taking and the mental breakdown that happened because of the drug taking. A fine guitarist.
Yes indeed. I wouldn't like to say if he was better or worse than Clapton - I find comparisons difficult as all musicians have their moments.

But certainly Peter Green was a very potent part of that time, and like Syd Barrett and Brian Wilson his contribution to music was unfulfilled.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 05 Aug 2016, 13:42

^ Indeed!

Just stumbled across this absolute gem from Mick Fleetwood's 1981 solo album The Visitor. He managed to bring Peter Green out of seclusion and the result is this SUPERB version of Rattlesnake Shake with Green on vocals and lead guitar. Sounds awesome, can't believe I hadn't heard it before! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlM3ouArMz4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 05 Aug 2016, 23:20

tom_cas1 wrote:^ Indeed!

Just stumbled across this absolute gem from Mick Fleetwood's 1981 solo album The Visitor. He managed to bring Peter Green out of seclusion and the result is this SUPERB version of Rattlesnake Shake with Green on vocals and lead guitar. Sounds awesome, can't believe I hadn't heard it before! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlM3ouArMz4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow..colored me impressed...thanks for sharing! I don't think he's ever completely lost it.... I believe Peter similar to Brian Wilson falsely have drugs for the reason of any decline when again there never was a decline to begin with. Both suffer from severe clinical mental illness and some times they will perform a top level when they're heart, mind, and soul are into it.. but there are times they both absolutely don't care whatsoever (when they're both respectively detached) and don't put any effort into it and they go from one end of the spectrum to the other.

I've watched recent concerts of Peter and he seemed as sharp on ever during some...there are instances he might neglect guitar playing for a stretch, but then he will pick it up again and like riding a bicycle he reverts back to his former self.... That's how I personally feel!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 06 Aug 2016, 00:17

I don't know, I don't think it's a coincidence that Peter Green AND Danny Kirwan went off the rails after the Munich incident. They attended the commune together, arrived at the same time...and both of them lost it within years after that. Green first and then Kirwan a few years later. I was watching an interview the other day where McVie and Fleetwood both blame the commune in Munich and the people responsible for organising it.

And Peter Green in interviews now is really sad to watch. I've no doubt that his skills are still in there somewhere and he can access them occasionally, but only for short bursts of time. But when he does, BOY, can he play!!

I'd love to see him live but I don't think he's played in a while or has any plans to do so, at least right now. I read that McVie and Fleetwood would love to get the original lineup back together at some point...if that happened I'd give my left nut to see them, let's put it like that! :lol:

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 06 Aug 2016, 00:46

I've heard so many conflicting accounts about the Munich incident... Some claim that Kirwan wasn't even there... just all these contradictory details that I've lost track and try to avoid reading more regarding it because it just confuses me even further of who or what to believe!

Want the perfect best scenario? Both the classic line-up of Genesis (Gabriel and Hackett included) along w/the Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac both reunited and toured together... WOW....