The Fleetwood Mac Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

KingLouieLouie76

The Fleetwood Mac Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 04 Nov 2014, 05:17

Lifted from the Blur forum:

I did not want to hijack the other thread, so I decided to create this one and it could hopefully have some interesting "dialogue" on it....

Whether you're fans of the "Peter Green", "Bob Welch", and/or "Nicks & Buckingham" Era(s), you're fully welcomed to participate..

Here's a video of the short-lived Bob Welch, Bob Weston, Christine McVie, John McVie, and Mick Fleetwood line-up.....Weston was forced to leave the band because he was apparently sleeping around w/Fleetwood's wife.... Unfortunately, both Welch and Weston died last year.... but this is them in much happier times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MUxCzEhLQY

Also, I just came across this recent article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25081408

I would love if Christine rejoined them...they've been lacking since......

Since I posted that...Christine obviously since rejoined them for their current tour...Too bad I did not purchase tickets though......

Mallard No. 22

Re: The Fleetwood Mac Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 05 Nov 2014, 07:18

Peter Green period I like best. 8-)

You would think the later USA-based band was an entirely different act. They weren't bad in themselves, but the 70s-80s hits are overplayed.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 06 Nov 2014, 13:20

I love the Peter Green era too. I'm very fond of all the later output though however much their sound changed, obviously Rumours through Tusk and Tango In The Night which is pretty nostalgic for me being released in the eighties. I always thought Lindsey Buckingham was cool. Not as cool as Peter Green in the sixties mind you.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 09 Nov 2014, 06:37

The Peter Green Era was not complete until Danny Kirwan joined....He rounded-up that line-up perfectly and took command of the band for a brief period after Green's sudden departure...He was a guitar prodigy himself, but unfortunately lost himself and has drifted away quite a bit (reports of him being either homeless or institutionalized)....What could have been? Here's one example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ8AcEY ... 1C81ECEBB1

Danny Kirwan's vocals ranked-up there w/Jack Bruce and John Mayall in capturing that rock/blues of the mid-late 60s!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 09 Nov 2014, 08:38

Yes, they had a good run in that 1969-70 period, including some great singles, between Kirwan joining and Green leaving.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 11 Nov 2014, 05:40

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Yes, they had a good run in that 1969-70 period, including some great singles, between Kirwan joining and Green leaving.

I also love "Future Games" featuring the late Bob Welch joining forces w/Kirwan and the rest...Then the brief stay of Bob Weston on lead-guitar as well...An excellent transition into the latter more commercial line-up....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 11 Nov 2014, 07:57

The Bob Welch period descended into various difficulties, amongst which was the rights to the name 'Fleetwood Mac'.

One consequence was that a band of anonymous musicians was put together to fulfil touring commitments in 1974. Mick Fleetwood was supposed to be in this line-up but withdrew at a late stage.

Some members of this 'fake' band did emerge as the genuine group Stretch shortly afterwards, still under the same management as Fleetwood Mac. They had a hit single in 1975 in the UK with 'Why Did You Do It'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9j-wpBelJg

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 11 Nov 2014, 20:39

Peter Green period all the way. I like a few songs from their more mainstream rock mid-70's phase but in general that era bores me. Too safe for my liking.

It's great being able to talk to people on here who actually KNOW about the Peter Green years. Pretty much all my friends (apart from one or two) know their Rumours album and that's all. Really bugs me when I put on a track from the Green era and they've no idea who it is... :evil:
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 12 Nov 2014, 07:22

Mallard No. 22 wrote:The Bob Welch period descended into various difficulties, amongst which was the rights to the name 'Fleetwood Mac'.

One consequence was that a band of anonymous musicians was put together to fulfil touring commitments in 1974. Mick Fleetwood was supposed to be in this line-up but withdrew at a late stage.

Some members of this 'fake' band did emerge as the genuine group Stretch shortly afterwards, still under the same management as Fleetwood Mac. They had a hit single in 1975 in the UK with 'Why Did You Do It'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9j-wpBelJg
"Why Did You Do It" honestly isn't all too bad!

I wish though Welch was inducted in the Rock-N-Roll Hall of Fame along w/the rest!

"Future Games", "Bare Tree", "Penguin", and "Mystery To Me" (covering '71-'73) kept the band afloat from their Peter Green transition into the mainstream current era of Buckingham and Nicks.

Welch's effort on this performance of "Green Manalishi" exhibited how immensely talented he was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR_-maCdTGQ

There were rumors a few years ago of the Green era reuniting, but Mick Fleetwood and John McVie seem to be the only ones interested. Jeremy Spencer balked at it, he of course left the band out of the blue to join what is now known as the "The Family International" cult......Kirwan's whereabouts are still unknown..... Pete's mental state seems more stable now....That Munich LSD experience caused permanent damage to his psyche..... I wish he never left them in the first place...He felt they had reached their highest ceiling of talent and couldn't progress in sound any further and I honestly disagree with that! Green and Kirwan complemented each other perfectly and Spencer was also EXTREMELY talented....Fleetwood and McVie form a solid rhythm section and Christine McVie on keyboards could have helped augment that line-up further....

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 12 Nov 2014, 22:03

Yeah Danny Kirwan was homeless in London for most of the 90's I believe? There's obviously a good chance he's dead right now, I don't think anyone has heard from him in years. Very sad indeed.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 12 Nov 2014, 22:43

^ Wow. Didn't realise that's how he wound up. Tragic. :shock:

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 14 Nov 2014, 21:17

tom_cas1 wrote:Peter Green period all the way....Really bugs me when I put on a track from the Green era and they've no idea who it is... :evil:
I like the Green period best as well. The 'Rumours' period has been overplayed since, indeed all the Nicks/Buckingham work has been.
KingLouieLouie76 wrote: "Why Did You Do It" honestly isn't all too bad!
Yes, I like it. Good single that probably would have been a hit for the Mac.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 15 Nov 2014, 20:13

Kirwan can be compared to Syd Barrett in terms of having several of the "paparazzi" chase after him on the street and take several photos of him while he's a recluse:

Here's a photo of him from 1993: Image

Here's also a wonderful interview of him 1995 reflecting what inspired him to get interested into music and several fond Fleetwood Mac memories: http://bla.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php?p ... id=38&c=16

He was merely 18 when he joined and couldn't tolerate fame whatsoever and had to distance himself from it...Albeit not in the best manner obviously and he's had bouts of mental illness as well.

I really love the album, "Future Games"..... The title track is exceptional by itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWepQ4Ns9Yo

Welch/Kirwan on guitar together were perfect...they read each other quite well!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 16 Nov 2014, 10:12

They were obviously capable of good music at that time. But the personal difficulties being encountered mean that it is a less revered period.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 17 Nov 2014, 00:15

Top 10 favourite Mac songs?