The Cream Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

KingLouieLouie76

The Cream Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 26 Oct 2014, 08:18

I had intended to start one over the past couple of weeks, but I must now since the passing of Jack Bruce....I will begin this thread posting two of my fave clips of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=madkws6LgpI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fLn9Z1G_LE

Both showed the humorous side of the band.....I was really wishing/hoping they'd reunite again and do an extensive tour and perhaps record new material, but obviously now that will never happen...Just unfortunate how all the interpersonal conflicts with the band initially destroyed them and prevented them from ever being a fully functional band for a long period of time....

Mallard No. 22

Re: The Cream Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 30 Oct 2014, 08:04

Yes, 'the 60s era' is fabled now. But it was only a short period of time. :)

And Cream's time within it was even shorter. It was all over, before it had really begun. :cry:

There was much rapid change in music around the time of Cream - the short life-span of bands was not unusual. The amount of times e.g. Eric Clapton changed bands exemplifies this.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 30 Oct 2014, 20:16

Great thread. 8-)

Cream were incredible and hugely underrated. I'm talking underrated now. They pretty much paved the way for bands like Led Zeppelin and now get very little credit in comparison. They pretty much started the whole improvised jams when playing live which was then taken over by bands like the Grateful Dead, Allman Brothers etc. Clapton, Bruce, Baker. Just a trio. That's all they needed. And boy what a sound they produced!! I really think Ginger Baker gets overlooked a lot, not only in the greatest drummers of all time conversation (he's above Moon and Bonham IMO) but in the band too. His jazz foundations really grounded the band. I drummer like Keith Moon wouldn't have been able to do that with just a trio. Filling the gaps, constantly playing around the kit.

One of my favourite bands. Top 3 hands down. And the band that got me into the blues. From Cream I went to Clapton's solo career and almost worked backwards from there. His previous bands, his inspirations. So Robert Johnson, B.B. King, John Lee Hooker. The list goes on and on. I'm the person I am today thanks to Cream, musician wise. I play with my own trio and was inspired to do that by Cream. Boy, what a band!!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 31 Oct 2014, 05:18

I completely echo everything you said, tom_cas1! Although, I believe they wouldn't have broken-up if it was not for the interpersonal conflict between Jack and Ginger and per MrMagpie, he had posted back in early May in the Blur forum that there was conflict between Eric and Ginger which prevented them from going beyond the 2005 reunion. In fact..I just found an article from April confirming that: http://www.musicradar.com/us/news/drums ... pes-598647

Lord, those 2005 shows were ace.....Also, their 1993 American Rock-N-Roll HOF induction performance. They hadn't performed together live then in over 25 years and they still managed to play like they hadn't stop. Their improvisational skills were always ahead of everyone else that it was sickening. They all knew each others timing...The only band to me that matched that level back then in how proficient they were together were the Who, Led Zeppelin (to a lesser extent), and then Deep Purple.

It would have been intriguing if they had lasted longer to see what heights of creativity they would have achieved. Just a shame they could not settle their differences before it was too late!

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 31 Oct 2014, 21:39

They seem like restless individuals - difficult to imagine them having an 'era' together (as per Led Zeppelin).

Clapton didn't settle into a routine until he went solo, and he was his own boss.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 01 Nov 2014, 10:46

Mallard No. 22 wrote:They seem like restless individuals - difficult to imagine them having an 'era' together (as per Led Zeppelin).

Clapton didn't settle into a routine until he went solo, and he was his own boss.

That's quite right....Look what he did when he was on tour w/Blind Faith...Suddenly joining Delaney and Bonnie onstage when they were opening up for them.... Derek and the Dominoes perhaps would have lasted at least two more years if it wasn't for their sudden demise....but we'd obviously never know......

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 03 Nov 2014, 07:10

Yes, there was lots of changes in quick succession in the early days of prog.

The change in musical styles, recording techniques and liberalisation of fashions made for an exhilarating time. 8-)

But maybe some band members were always looking further ahead, for something that wasn't really there. :?:

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 03 Nov 2014, 22:38

Tried to rank their albums today. Very tough:

1] Disraeli Gears
2] Wheels Of Fire
3] Fresh Cream
4] Goodbye

For me it's really tough between Disraeli Gears and Wheels Of Fire. I love them both immensely. But I think the former wins it thanks to Tales Of Brave Ulysses which is probably my favourite Cream song. But Wheels Of Fire contains some GREAT guitar work by Clapton, who uses his Gibson Firebird I on a number of tracks. I love the sharpness of that guitar, you can hear it immediately. Fresh Cream of course is a great album too. Goodbye I can take or leave, Badge is the only good song on there. Well...there are only three original songs anyway, not including the live tracks that were put on to make up time.

Their live work though is second to none. An incredible live band back in the day. No-one else like them as far as I'm concerned. Led Zeppelin can't hold a candle. Page can't touch Clapton, NO WAY!! Just listen to that blistering rendition of Crossroads recorded live at Winterland in 1968. There's a reason it's been consistently voted the best live performance of all time!
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 04 Nov 2014, 04:56

tom_cas1 wrote:Tried to rank their albums today. Very tough:

1] Disraeli Gears
2] Wheels Of Fire
3] Fresh Cream
4] Goodbye
That's such a difficult task for me! On certain days I even rank "Fresh Cream" as #1 because I love how raw the production was! I know for some it was a disappointment, but several breathtaking moments on there! "Disraeli Gears" and "Wheels of Fire" share the title as masterpieces! Awfully complex to rank in order...again for me it's contingent on the mood I'm in..... "Goodbye" has their nod to the Beatles, "Doing That Scrapyard Thing" which is such a catchy tune.."What A Bringdown" is decent (not their greatest effort) and "Badge" proved the direction EC was headed as a writer....And the live performances were sterling!

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 06 Nov 2014, 22:20

Cream through the years:

1966:

1967:

1968:

70's:

1993:

2005:

2014: :cry:

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 09 Nov 2014, 06:45

Thanks for sharing those wonderful photos....I especially love this!:

I wonder for what occasion that was taken and if they thought of reuniting then? To me..they still looked like a band......if as though they still fit in together....

Here's some footage of EC and Ginger at Jack's funeral: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUUpiNb2Me4

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 09 Nov 2014, 08:50

8-) great pictures - they also document changing times, and how fashions progressed in a relatively short period.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 22 Apr 2015, 03:53

Two of my favourite photos of Cream (the one on the right especially) taken in 1968:

Image Image

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 22 Apr 2015, 06:55

"....platform ticket, restless diesels, goodbye windows...." :)

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Apr 2015, 00:57

Mallard No. 22 wrote:"....platform ticket, restless diesels, goodbye windows...." :)
Or just "Traintime" suddenly comes to mind! :lol:

What excellent photos, Tom....please keep them coming...vastly appreciated!