The Depeche Mode Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

KingLouieLouie76

The Depeche Mode Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 25 Oct 2014, 05:34

I was about to post them under the "underrated thread", however, at least to me they deserve their own thread dedicated to them! I've grown-up enjoying them beyond belief and they never cease to amaze me! I don't know if anyone else on here agrees w/me, but they have been one of the most influential bands for the past 30-years and they have never slowed down whatsoever...Martin Gore and Dave Gahan are both geniuses and extremely talented...Andy Fletcher is also solid in whatever role he may have within the group, and I wish Alan Wilder would return in the fold....I could go on and on about them..So many brilliant songs and their videos always ranked up there to me....."People Are People" honestly started it for me and then that was it!

Edit: This is still my all-time fave DM song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTGbfbttJys

mr_spenalzo

Re: The Depeche Mode Thread

Post by mr_spenalzo » 25 Oct 2014, 14:03

I like Depeche Mode, but they're an artist I need in small doses.

I think my first encounter must have been around 1987. There was a German magazine called "Popcorn" I bought to get stuff on Pet Shop Boys and Michael Jackson. At the back they had these cut-out cards with on one side lyrics, on the other a photograph. I cannot remember the song, must have been one of the Music For The Masses singles, but I thought they looked awful.

Next encounter would be actually hearing a song, the song being "Enjoy The Silence". I quite liked it, but then that year I also liked Nick Kamen and Roxette. I wasn't hooked.

1993 would be the year of the penny-drop. It was a very good spring: new Duran Duran song, first time I heard Blur and Suede, Bowie... and then I heard "I Feel You". Fantastic song, and this time I was hooked. Hooked enough to buy a copy of Songs Of Faith And Devotion, an album I feel to this day is one of several Achtung Baby's to come out during those early nineties. Challenging, exotic and dark albums by pop idols, see also INXS's fantastic Welcome To Wherever You Are.

I loved Depeche Mode for a year (I also bought Violator), then went off them for a while. I'd read what happened to Gahan around then, bought "Barrel Of A Gun" and "It's No Good", but wasn't overly interested. I bought that double CD compilation that came out around '98, but I was into other stuff (other stuff being Manics, Placebo, Blur, Mansun, Suede, Marion, Kenickie, Radiohead... you see where my head was).

Until 2005, Precious. I heard the song, thought it was boring, then thought it was one of the most beautiful songs during a year of beautiful music (hell, even Shakira made a 5-star album that year, the wonderful Fijación Oral, Vol. 1). Anyhow, Playing The Angel was added to the CD collection, and as with the first single from it I wasn't immediately convinced, but it turned out to be a grower. I still think it's one of their best.

Since then I've been loyal, buying new records although neither Sounds Of The Universe nor Delta Machine are particularly interesting, and I feel Depeche Mode are in the same place U2 were finding themselves in only a few months ago: they'll have to reinvent themselves, or die.

Contrary to U2 (who have gone up in my esteem thanks to their really quite good new album) I feel it may be better if DM split up. And then? Listen to Soulsavers' The Light The Dead See. More of where that came from, please.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 26 Oct 2014, 08:51

mr_spenalzo wrote:I like Depeche Mode, but they're an artist I need in small doses.

I think my first encounter must have been around 1987. There was a German magazine called "Popcorn" I bought to get stuff on Pet Shop Boys and Michael Jackson. At the back they had these cut-out cards with on one side lyrics, on the other a photograph. I cannot remember the song, must have been one of the Music For The Masses singles, but I thought they looked awful.

Next encounter would be actually hearing a song, the song being "Enjoy The Silence". I quite liked it, but then that year I also liked Nick Kamen and Roxette. I wasn't hooked.

1993 would be the year of the penny-drop. It was a very good spring: new Duran Duran song, first time I heard Blur and Suede, Bowie... and then I heard "I Feel You". Fantastic song, and this time I was hooked. Hooked enough to buy a copy of Songs Of Faith And Devotion, an album I feel to this day is one of several Achtung Baby's to come out during those early nineties. Challenging, exotic and dark albums by pop idols, see also INXS's fantastic Welcome To Wherever You Are.

I loved Depeche Mode for a year (I also bought Violator), then went off them for a while. I'd read what happened to Gahan around then, bought "Barrel Of A Gun" and "It's No Good", but wasn't overly interested. I bought that double CD compilation that came out around '98, but I was into other stuff (other stuff being Manics, Placebo, Blur, Mansun, Suede, Marion, Kenickie, Radiohead... you see where my head was).

Until 2005, Precious. I heard the song, thought it was boring, then thought it was one of the most beautiful songs during a year of beautiful music (hell, even Shakira made a 5-star album that year, the wonderful Fijación Oral, Vol. 1). Anyhow, Playing The Angel was added to the CD collection, and as with the first single from it I wasn't immediately convinced, but it turned out to be a grower. I still think it's one of their best.

Since then I've been loyal, buying new records although neither Sounds Of The Universe nor Delta Machine are particularly interesting, and I feel Depeche Mode are in the same place U2 were finding themselves in only a few months ago: they'll have to reinvent themselves, or die.

Contrary to U2 (who have gone up in my esteem thanks to their really quite good new album) I feel it may be better if DM split up. And then? Listen to Soulsavers' The Light The Dead See. More of where that came from, please.

What an excellent post....Couldn't have expressed better myself..But it proves how much they've endured over the years and still amaze!

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 02 Jul 2015, 17:01

I'm undergoing yet another Depeche phase, so here's the albums ranked, changed a bit from last time.

1. Music for the Masses
2. Violator
3. Black Celebration
4. Some Great Reward
5. Playing the Angel
6. Songs of Faith and Devotion
7. Construction Time Again
8. Sounds of the Universe
9. Ultra
10. A Broken Frame
11. Delta Machine
12. Speak & Spell

And here's the obligatory love for Never Let Me Down Again, which is in my top 10 songs of the 1980s.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 02 Jul 2015, 19:47

I didn't know this thread existed :mrgreen: DM are one of my all-time faves, so I'm not really ready to rank their albums. What I fail to see lately is why their latest albums keep being ignored. Sure, Sounds of the Universe was a bit spotty at times but Delta Machine's quite good even if it has its dull moments. My Little Universe is a killer song.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 02 Jul 2015, 20:08

I actually quite liked many of the tracks on Delta Machine, but I still rank it near the bottom. Speak and Spell is at the bottom but even that has great tracks such as New Life.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 02 Jul 2015, 20:11

AdvertBreak wrote:I actually quite liked many of the tracks on Delta Machine, but I still rank it near the bottom. Speak and Spell is at the bottom but even that has great tracks such as New Life.
Just realized your list is lacking Exciter! Although I guess it'd appear near to the bottom :lol:

What are your thoughts on Some Great Reward? It's their most underrated imo. I rank Blasphemous Rumours as the best DM song ever.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 02 Jul 2015, 20:55

Oh, shit! And that was the first one I heard :lol: You're right though, it's near the bottom, at no. 10. As much as I love Mark Bell, its his worst project imo. The best track is I Feel Loved. The thing that bugs me in this era is ultimately the tendency to favour the slower, or less upbeat material, but it's not bad though. The only DM album I'd consider average is Speak & Spell despite the numerous good tracks.

Some Great Reward is great. Builds upon and develops the Construction Time Again sound to a tee.

AstronomyD81

Post by AstronomyD81 » 03 Jul 2015, 12:24

I'm glad to find this post!Depeche mode is one of my favourites bands ever..it's difficult to me choose just one because they all are so great..my favourites are: Music for the masses, Violator, Ultra, SOFAD and black celebraton..and my least favourite sounds of the universe

bugman

Post by bugman » 07 Jul 2015, 21:12

love this band. my top 5 fav bands (artists) ever. i saw them 4 times. what a brilliant gigs! what an amazing public!

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Jul 2015, 05:26

I cannot narrow down from "Some Great Reward" and "Black Celebration", and "Violator" of which is my fave....That's really criminal to me! :lol: I finally must see them live...I've scratched so many off my Bucket List this past year!

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Jul 2015, 11:26

Happy #54th B-Day to Mr. Martin Gore!

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 23 Jul 2015, 17:05

54?? Jesus, I remember Bowie turned 50 and I thought he was ancient..

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 24 Jul 2015, 06:57

:shock: Yes, I can remember things like when Paul McCartney had his 35th birthday, Stevie Wonder his 32nd etc. What young men they were :D

When Mick Jagger was 40, Bill Wyman was already 46 and this was absolutely pre-historic. No pop or rock star had ever been that old.... :lol:
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 24 Jul 2015, 15:58

mr_spenalzo wrote:54?? Jesus, I remember Bowie turned 50 and I thought he was ancient..

Aren't we forgetting though that a certain drummer of one of our all-time fave bands is already 51 and the other three are vastly approaching that? :D

It's insanity though! I mean... Sir Paul and Brian Wilson just turned 72 respectively and then all their contemporaries are within that age group and they are still churning out some of the best music ever! It's unfathomable!

But yet.... I too remember first hearing Depeche Mode, but of course all of us were so much younger then! :lol: