R.E.M. Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Post Reply
User avatar
He's So High
Posts: 1019
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 17:22
Location: Birmingham, U.K.

R.E.M. Thread

Post by He's So High » 12 Oct 2014, 18:42

An interesting perspective on Monster:

http://thequietus.com/articles/16426-re ... nniversary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Highly recommend The Quietus, by the way.

User avatar
TripleJay97
Posts: 7032
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 17:42
Location: Royston Vasey

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Post by TripleJay97 » 13 Oct 2014, 19:50

Loving this thread already.

Out of Time was the soundtrack to my highschool years. Which were only two years ago.
Image

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 14 Oct 2014, 04:13

Ironically, I've been listening to them quite a bit this past week.....Here's a rare track from them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qpD75bN-n4

What a solid remake of a classic!
Image

User avatar
MrMagpie
Moderator
Posts: 2707
Joined: 08 Dec 2011, 18:22
Location: Pepperland
Contact:

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Post by MrMagpie » 14 Oct 2014, 11:18

TripleJay97 wrote:Loving this thread already.

Out of Time was the soundtrack to my highschool years. Which were only two years ago.
Out of Time, Automatic, and Monster soundtracked my high school years...which ended 17 year ago. Thanks for making me feel old. :P

But they're fantastic albums. Apart from Aronund the Sun, I've loved all their albums although the final one was a rather weak way to end a career. Out with a whimper, really...
Image

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 15 Oct 2014, 03:09

MrMagpie wrote:
TripleJay97 wrote:Loving this thread already.

Out of Time was the soundtrack to my highschool years. Which were only two years ago.
Out of Time, Automatic, and Monster soundtracked my high school years...which ended 17 year ago. Thanks for making me feel old. :P

But they're fantastic albums. Apart from Aronund the Sun, I've loved all their albums although the final one was a rather weak way to end a career. Out with a whimper, really...

Agreed..... The only post Bill Berry song I enjoyed was "the Great Beyond"..... Followed by "Daysleeper".....
Image

mr_spenalzo
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 Sep 2014, 18:38

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Post by mr_spenalzo » 15 Oct 2014, 17:01

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
MrMagpie wrote:
TripleJay97 wrote:Loving this thread already.

Out of Time was the soundtrack to my highschool years. Which were only two years ago.
Out of Time, Automatic, and Monster soundtracked my high school years...which ended 17 year ago. Thanks for making me feel old. :P

But they're fantastic albums. Apart from Aronund the Sun, I've loved all their albums although the final one was a rather weak way to end a career. Out with a whimper, really...
Agreed..... The only post Bill Berry song I enjoyed was "the Great Beyond"..... Followed by "Daysleeper".....
I like quite a lot of the post Berry stuff, though not on the same level as the stuff they did with him... but songs like You're In The Air, The Lifting, The Outsiders, Man-Sized Wreath and Uberlin (to give one example for every album) are wonderful.

User avatar
TripleJay97
Posts: 7032
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 17:42
Location: Royston Vasey

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Post by TripleJay97 » 15 Oct 2014, 21:06

I actually really like Supernatural Superserious, it's a great rock song.
Image

User avatar
MrMagpie
Moderator
Posts: 2707
Joined: 08 Dec 2011, 18:22
Location: Pepperland
Contact:

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Post by MrMagpie » 16 Oct 2014, 01:03

Apart from Around the Sun I think their post-Bill albums are really good although Collapse Into Now is a super weak way to end a career. Solid album but as a career-closer, it's out with a whimper instead of a bang.
Image

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 16 Oct 2014, 03:57

I must admit I haven't listened to much of their later material, just basing it on a small sample-size....I'll finally sit down and check them all out in its entirely soon..
Image

User avatar
He's So High
Posts: 1019
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 17:22
Location: Birmingham, U.K.

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Post by He's So High » 17 Oct 2014, 18:35

I'm not sure I agree with 'Collapse Into Now' being described as a 'whimper'; okay it's not their best but I quite like the way it covers most of their styles, whether it be mandolin ballads or more straight rockers. A nice full stop on the career.

User avatar
MrMagpie
Moderator
Posts: 2707
Joined: 08 Dec 2011, 18:22
Location: Pepperland
Contact:

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Post by MrMagpie » 19 Oct 2014, 14:45

He's So High wrote:I'm not sure I agree with 'Collapse Into Now' being described as a 'whimper'; okay it's not their best but I quite like the way it covers most of their styles, whether it be mandolin ballads or more straight rockers. A nice full stop on the career.
You're right in that it's solid and a good cross-section...I don't find any of the tunes on it memorable in the least and while it's solid, it's not very impactful. It'd be like the Beatles ending their career with Beatles For Sale instead of Abbey Road.
Image

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 20 Oct 2014, 06:56

MrMagpie wrote:
He's So High wrote:I'm not sure I agree with 'Collapse Into Now' being described as a 'whimper'; okay it's not their best but I quite like the way it covers most of their styles, whether it be mandolin ballads or more straight rockers. A nice full stop on the career.
You're right in that it's solid and a good cross-section...I don't find any of the tunes on it memorable in the least and while it's solid, it's not very impactful. It'd be like the Beatles ending their career with Beatles For Sale instead of Abbey Road.

I have never listened to the "Collapse Into Now", but most definitely will later this week...... I wonder if REM knew that indeed was going to be the end, but I've always had this strong sense that they will eventually soon reunite.
Image

mr_spenalzo
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 Sep 2014, 18:38

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Post by mr_spenalzo » 20 Oct 2014, 18:02

I have a lot of time for Collapse Into Now... Of the post-Berry years I only like Reveal better (I know, most votes will go for Up, but that's one record that to me that could've been marvelous if they ditched some of the slower songs).

CIN is an autumn album, Reveal a summer one. Look at the colours of the sleeves (I think R.E.M. covers in general offer a good hint of the music within)

I don't think they'll reunite though. It always seems that Buck has a great knowledge of rock history, the do's and don'ts, and a reunion would be too tacky for this classiest of bands.

User avatar
He's So High
Posts: 1019
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 17:22
Location: Birmingham, U.K.

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Post by He's So High » 20 Oct 2014, 18:59

^I think you've nailed it there. R.E.M. just seem to be a classy band, whether it be bowing out gracefully or none of the band members being too pretentious (a la Morrissey) or at least maintaining a sense of humour. What I really respect about them is how they managed to be political without being preachy: they do in fact address more controversial political topics (acid rain and pollution, use of Agent Orange) yet still sound less annoying than U2, who sing about largely anodyne topics like Martin Luther King.

User avatar
TripleJay97
Posts: 7032
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 17:42
Location: Royston Vasey

Re: R.E.M. Thread

Post by TripleJay97 » 20 Oct 2014, 19:12

Speaking of Morrissey, I saw a quote on a website the other day claiming that "The Smiths are essentially a British version of R.E.M. in terms of both influence and style".

Discuss.
Image

Post Reply