The "Covers" Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2433
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: The "Covers" Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 27 Jan 2016, 06:45

Funny that, 'Behind Blue Eyes' seems more like a Limp Bizkit song than a Who song.... :)
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: The "Covers" Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 27 Jan 2016, 09:26

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Funny that, 'Behind Blue Eyes' seems more like a Limp Bizkit song than a Who song.... :)

I was actually amazed on excellent they sounded.... A former co-worker (close friend) would listen to that and I would constantly annoy him because I would always ask him all the time who performed that cover... I guess I couldn't fathom Fred Durst delivering such solid vocals!

Here's another impressive cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls9_HPTs06I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2433
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: The "Covers" Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 02 Feb 2016, 06:41

Beach Boys - California Dreamin: starts off authentic with the 60s period, but must have been recorded much later?

Reminiscent of an 80s indie song, with its drum-machine backing. Which is jarring for me. :|
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: The "Covers" Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 03 Feb 2016, 20:10

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Beach Boys - California Dreamin: starts off authentic with the 60s period, but must have been recorded much later?

Reminiscent of an 80s indie song, with its drum-machine backing. Which is jarring for me. :|
It actually was recorded around '84/'85.... They were in the process of recording a new album w/Brian, but it got scrapped. Roger McGuinn (formerly the Byrds singer/guitarist) contributed the 12-string part (he also appears in the video) and both John and Michelle Phillips (formerly of the Mamas & Papas) also made cameos in the video. The Beach Boys mid-late 80s albums would have been better if Brian was more consistently involved. He actually did not appear on "Kokomo".....

Here's another fantastic cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N3F7RVUED0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2433
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: The "Covers" Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 Feb 2016, 08:55

I quite like 'Kokomo' which was a UK top 30 hit and had quite a lot of airplay. Memory can play tricks and I thought it had been on the Phil Collins 'Buster' film soundtrack, but it wasn't. 'Loco In Acupulco' by The Four Tops was.

I also remember the re-make of 'Wipe Out' by The Fat Boys and The Beach Boys. Again, I thought that the Beach Boys had had the original UK hit, but it was The Surfaris (in 1963).

The Hollies and Dusty Springfield were also on the Buster soundtrack and at this time had other big UK hits on the back of a Miller Lite lager advert (The Hollies) and the film 'Scandal' (Dusty). Interesting that these 60s acts returned after many years to have great hits amongst the generally naff current music.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: The "Covers" Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 06 Feb 2016, 14:57

Mallard No. 22 wrote:I quite like 'Kokomo' which was a UK top 30 hit and had quite a lot of airplay. Memory can play tricks and I thought it had been on the Phil Collins 'Buster' film soundtrack, but it wasn't. 'Loco In Acupulco' by The Four Tops was.

I also remember the re-make of 'Wipe Out' by The Fat Boys and The Beach Boys. Again, I thought that the Beach Boys had had the original UK hit, but it was The Surfaris (in 1963).

The Hollies and Dusty Springfield were also on the Buster soundtrack and at this time had other big UK hits on the back of a Miller Lite lager advert (The Hollies) and the film 'Scandal' (Dusty). Interesting that these 60s acts returned after many years to have great hits amongst the generally naff current music.

"Kokomo" was on the "Cocktail" (starring Tom Cruise) soundtrack. Wasn't "Two Hearts" the Phil Collins "Buster" contribution?

Yeah, the Beach Boys went through a phase in the mid-late 80s by recording w/newer artists (such as the Fat Boys on "Wipe Out") to definitely attract a newer audience, but some times their loyal diehard long time fans became frustrated at those tactics. I could post this all in the Beach Boys thread! :lol:

Here's an obvious cover to post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GMoLENWsSk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Carl actually contributed on this version!
Image

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2433
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: The "Covers" Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 12 Feb 2016, 06:58

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:"Kokomo" was on the "Cocktail" (starring Tom Cruise) soundtrack.
Yes it was! Funny I remember Bryan Brown in that film, more than Tom Cruise.

'Two Hearts' was a new Collins composition for 'Buster'. As was 'Loco In Acapulco' which was designated to the Four Tops.

I remember 'California Girls' by David Lee Roth getting promoted in the UK but it didn't translate into a big hit. Van Halen had become big at the time.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: The "Covers" Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 12 Feb 2016, 13:49

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:"Kokomo" was on the "Cocktail" (starring Tom Cruise) soundtrack.
Yes it was! Funny I remember Bryan Brown in that film, more than Tom Cruise.

'Two Hearts' was a new Collins composition for 'Buster'. As was 'Loco In Acapulco' which was designated to the Four Tops.

I remember 'California Girls' by David Lee Roth getting promoted in the UK but it didn't translate into a big hit. Van Halen had become big at the time.
Funny thing....I never saw "Buster"....Should I bother? The previews and the footage shown through the videos didn't intrigue me enough at the time, but I was around 11...So......

When you mention VH became a hit at the time..you're referring to when Sammy Hagar took over or when David was still the lead-singer?

I had to include this excellent cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWRZ-ib7bGU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2433
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: The "Covers" Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 16 Feb 2016, 07:00

David Lee Roth was the lead singer when they broke the UK. 'Jump' was a huge hit single.

The albums had been charting in the UK top 50 since 1978, and 'Women & Children First' (1980) had already been top 20.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: The "Covers" Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 16 Feb 2016, 18:02

Mallard No. 22 wrote:David Lee Roth was the lead singer when they broke the UK. 'Jump' was a huge hit single.

The albums had been charting in the UK top 50 since 1978, and 'Women & Children First' (1980) had already been top 20.
I see...I didn't realized they achieved stardom in the UK pre-1984....... Yeah.... Lee Roth's Van Halen was highly influenced by the Kinks, while Sammy's was by the Who....


Here's another great cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LReqeLYgjhQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5571
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: The "Covers" Thread

Post by AdvertBreak » 17 Feb 2016, 01:51

When the KLF released What Time is Love in 1988, it was so good that there was apparently over 25 imitation records by other producers played around Europe

This is one of them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrorkLWb7YQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2433
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: The "Covers" Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 22 Feb 2016, 07:38

KLL76 - I would say that Van Halen were known to the rock audience in the early 80s. But it was the single 'Jump' that propelled them to huge mainstream attention. Their albums went into the UK top 20 for the next ten years.

'Why Can't This Be Love' (with Sammy Hagar singing) was another big UK hit single.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: The "Covers" Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 22 Feb 2016, 21:03

Mallard No. 22 wrote:KLL76 - I would say that Van Halen were known to the rock audience in the early 80s. But it was the single 'Jump' that propelled them to huge mainstream attention. Their albums went into the UK top 20 for the next ten years.

'Why Can't This Be Love' (with Sammy Hagar singing) was another big UK hit single.

I see...thanks for sharing that... It is interesting to compare/contrast how bands from the UK charted here in the States along w/American bands charting in the UK.....
Some times we've learned how UK bands charted better in the States and how American bands charted better in the UK..... Just remarkable!

I love this cover...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tmc8rJgxUI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes.. I know several seem to despise GNR, but Axl and the gang did an excellent job here!
Image

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2433
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: The "Covers" Thread

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 27 Feb 2016, 07:56

Re: KFX 'Relax Your Body' - dance records used hook lines from concurrent dance records. It was all about being in the moment.

I see this version (I hadn't heard it but quite like it) of 'What Time Is Love' was released in 1989, before What Time Is Love became a UK hit.

G n R's cover of 'Knocking On Heaven's Door' was a huge UK hit which introduced the song to a new audience that was ripe for it. When songs get to around 20 years old (as here) a younger generation gets in to them, their parents remember the original, and you have a big hit on your hands. A lot of adverts on TV use songs from the 1990s on this basis.

KLL76 - it is something that interests me, the success levels that artists had in different countries. We have discussed the Beach Boys having their main UK top ten success in 1966-70 (UK) which was slightly later than their USA peak. Herman's Hermits and The Dave Clark Five were big in the UK in the mid 60s, but even bigger in the USA. But in the later 60s, their UK career successfully continued with easy-listening type hits, whereas this faltered in the USA.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: The "Covers" Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 27 Feb 2016, 12:49

Mallard No. 22 wrote:
KLL76 - it is something that interests me, the success levels that artists had in different countries. We have discussed the Beach Boys having their main UK top ten success in 1966-70 (UK) which was slightly later than their USA peak. Herman's Hermits and The Dave Clark Five were big in the UK in the mid 60s, but even bigger in the USA. But in the later 60s, their UK career successfully continued with easy-listening type hits, whereas this faltered in the USA.

The same applies w/the Kinks...after the AmericaN ban, they became bigger here in the States than they were in the UK (mainly in the later 70s). I have always compared/contrasted the Beach Boys and the Kinks from 1967-1973, beyond just having brothers in the band, beyond the main creative influences having respective mental breakdowns, but the direction in sound they took, pretty intriguing!
Image

Post Reply