Overrated Music

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Lt Pinkerton

Re: Overrated Music

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 05 Dec 2015, 14:05

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:One overrated band to me over the years has been Kiss, but don't know if they made a huge impact in the UK or not for anyone there to notice, but always style over substance with them for the most part. Any a select few tunes I can honestly tolerate by them.
Ace Frehley's first album is surprisingly amazing though. I think I like it more than anything by KISS.

Rick Rubbish is the worst.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 05 Dec 2015, 14:09

I was saying that Rick should get the masterer (Vlado Meller) to do his job properly, considering all? Rubin albums for quite a long time are mastered by him.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 07 Dec 2015, 01:19

Lt Pinkerton wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:One overrated band to me over the years has been Kiss, but don't know if they made a huge impact in the UK or not for anyone there to notice, but always style over substance with them for the most part. Any a select few tunes I can honestly tolerate by them.
Ace Frehley's first album is surprisingly amazing though. I think I like it more than anything by KISS.

Rick Rubbish is the worst.

I honestly haven't checked-out Ace's solo album...but will some time soon....

Hmmmm...overrated.... how about My Morning Jacket?

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 08 Dec 2015, 07:54

Yeah, Ace Frehley's solo album is by far the best sounding thing associated with KISS.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 08 Dec 2015, 07:55

Re: Soft Cell singles other than 'Tainted Love':
AdvertBreak wrote:I suppose neither of them would work quite as well on Karaoke, and therefore not quite be so obviously a public favourite.
Yes, that is probably why.
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:One overrated band to me over the years has been Kiss, but don't know if they made a huge impact in the UK or not for anyone there to notice, but always style over substance with them for the most part.
They had a few top ten albums in the UK, 80s-early 90s. Likewise 'Crazy Crazy Nights' & 'God Gave Rock & Roll To You' were top 10 singles. This was during a period when that kind of glam metal was at its peak.

I personally prefer the original 'God Gave Rock & Roll To You' by Argent (1973) with its more basic, demo feel.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 09 Dec 2015, 04:13

Actually, I partly take the karaoke comment back. Both would still work very well, but Tainted Love has a few commercial advatanges. SHWG would be an ideal pop hit, especially as it has a very good synth melody, but it is 5 minutes long, so its not so quickly radio friendly. Bedsitter is still a bit of a mystery though - in terms of 'catchiness' I'm thinking its equal to Tainted Love, but I suppose Tainted Love has an instanly recognizable feature, the iconic boop boop. Imagine it without the boop boop. Sounds a lot more minimal...

Oh, I don't know... Maybe its because Tanited Love was released first :lol:

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 11 Dec 2015, 08:31

You are right, the 'boop boop' was and remains distinctive. It was a minor trait of synth records at the time (e.g. Human League 'Open Your Heart').

The other Soft Cell singles all got airplay at the time, and are of that time, with new wave-themed lyrics about urban UK. In some ways Marc Almond was like a 'synth-pop Weller'.

E.g. 'Bedsitter' portrays the grimness and loneliness of the said dwelling. 'Say Hello & Wave Goodbye' seems to be about a relationship or a night out that went wrong. They are great songs but not happy subjects for commercial radio programmers.

dparrott

Post by dparrott » 12 Dec 2015, 16:44

I've always thought Kiss and AC/DC's music was generic and basic. Don't get the popularity. Kiss backs it up with presentation.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 13 Dec 2015, 01:12

I hate the untouchable, monolithic, rawk'n'rollll image that AC/DC has. I don't get why people love them so much. They're okay, but that's it, for all of it surely. My dad's excuse is that they do what they do well. But what they do well isn't particularly interesting... They've made an entire career making the same album over and over again. And it isn't a really good album like Motorhead (although there is a few interesting Motorhead albums that aren't as formualic.)

And that's where I give credit to Kiss. They're very novelty, but when they struggled, they actually experimented a bit. I actually have Dynasty (don't ask) which has a few disco-rock experiments, and I know the succeeding albums were power pop (Unmasked) and the apparently awful proggy rock-opera Music from The Elder, plus in the 90s they had their own inevitable attempt to fit in to the alternative rock landscape (Carnival of Souls). This alone makes them more interesting, even if the rest of their material is the same album over and over, and that album isn't quite as good as AC/DC's album. Although...again unlike AC/DC, they did go sub-Bon Jovi (already awful) in the mid-late 80s, (Crazy Nights) era ... aka the most evil rock music ever.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 13 Dec 2015, 22:59

AdvertBreak wrote:I hate the untouchable, monolithic, rawk'n'rollll image that AC/DC has. I don't get why people love them so much. They're okay, but that's it, for all of it surely. My dad's excuse is that they do what they do well. But what they do well isn't particularly interesting... They've made an entire career making the same album over and over again. And it isn't a really good album like Motorhead (although there is a few interesting Motorhead albums that aren't as formualic.)

And that's where I give credit to Kiss. They're very novelty, but when they struggled, they actually experimented a bit. I actually have Dynasty (don't ask) which has a few disco-rock experiments, and I know the succeeding albums were power pop (Unmasked) and the apparently awful proggy rock-opera Music from The Elder, plus in the 90s they had their own inevitable attempt to fit in to the alternative rock landscape (Carnival of Souls). This alone makes them more interesting, even if the rest of their material is the same album over and over, and that album isn't quite as good as AC/DC's album. Although...again unlike AC/DC, they did go sub-Bon Jovi (already awful) in the mid-late 80s, (Crazy Nights) era ... aka the most evil rock music ever.

How do you feel about Iron Maiden and/or Judas Priest?

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 14 Dec 2015, 01:51

dparrott wrote:I've always thought Kiss and AC/DC's music was generic and basic. Don't get the popularity. Kiss backs it up with presentation.
I never could get into either band.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 14 Dec 2015, 21:32

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
AdvertBreak wrote:I hate the untouchable, monolithic, rawk'n'rollll image that AC/DC has. I don't get why people love them so much. They're okay, but that's it, for all of it surely. My dad's excuse is that they do what they do well. But what they do well isn't particularly interesting... They've made an entire career making the same album over and over again. And it isn't a really good album like Motorhead (although there is a few interesting Motorhead albums that aren't as formualic.)

How do you feel about Iron Maiden and/or Judas Priest?
Firstly, I probably shouldn't have said 'hate', but rather 'dislike a lot' :lol:

Like AC/DC, they're okay. Something to listen to every now and again, but they're not bands I would really have any interesting in following or going through their back catalogue, as I doubt I'd see anything too different - unless the songs are good, of course. And with AC/DC those are good songs, which is why I do play them sometimes. But as far as this rock n roll "awesomeness" is concerned, nah, not at all. Too samey.

However, unlike AC/DC, I don't really see Priest and Maiden as being as very samey. They've got long brooding songs and short fast ones, short brooding ones and long fast ones. But I guess its not really my thing. When it is a band with a textbook sound, I'm only bothered is that sound is really good (like Motorhead, although I can't say I'd sit through all 22 of their albums as I would become fed up.)

Although didn't Judas Priest make some sort of artistic evolution..once? Or rather devoution. A glam metal album, I recall. [*goes on Wikipedia* They also did a speed metal album, hmm]

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 15 Dec 2015, 08:31

Preferred AC/DC in their earlier, Bon Scott period. As mentioned, they did what they did very well.

Brian Johnson is a good singer and a great replacement for Scott. But I suggest they gradually became formulaic during his tenure.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 17 Dec 2015, 22:43

Mallard No. 22 wrote:Preferred AC/DC in their earlier, Bon Scott period. As mentioned, they did what they did very well.

Brian Johnson is a good singer and a great replacement for Scott. But I suggest they gradually became formulaic during his tenure.

I agree.... I also echo what you say (AdvertBreak) about all those bands you covered in your last post. I personally believe they all have the same formula for every single song of theirs and eventually that type of novelty ware off so easily. True, some of their songs are quite memorable because again they're associated with that "good time" music, but lacking on that profound scale however!

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 05 Jan 2016, 11:38

Guns N' Roses. Not only do I think they're really awful musically speaking but how can a band with clear fascist overtones in their lyrics be so admired? I really don't get it.