Consigliere_11

Re: Overrated Music

Post by Consigliere_11 » 28 Oct 2015, 22:10

Solo Sting > The Police, IMO
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 29 Oct 2015, 08:06

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:People just despise Sting more than just the Police? I am wondering how those in England perceive him?

I loved "Ghost in the Machine" and "Synchronicity" more than their earlier efforts..... But.. anyways..you all view Sting as a sell-out.. like Bono is to many?
Yes I think that sums up Sting quite well. And as AB says, they were best as a 'singles band' (but then again, many others were).

In my schooldays, The Police and The Jam were both current and people tended to like one or the other. But even then I remember some saying that "they didn't rate" The Police. I think that the 'silly' way that they acted in their videos had some bearing on this, they came across as a bit irritating.

I also agree with Consigliere_11 that solo Sting is a continuation of The Police. In the same way that George Michael & Wham overlap, as do for that matter solo Paul McCartney and Wings.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 31 Oct 2015, 17:13

Wow..this Sting and the Police discussion has become rather fascinating.... I hate to straddle the fence, but I love his solo work equally to what he did the Police... It's all vastly sentimental to me.....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 03 Nov 2015, 08:01

I'm afraid I never took to Sting's solo work, it just seems unmemorable. But I have only heard the prominent hit singles, others who have heard the albums quite rightly might have a different view.

I think it shows where The Police would have gone, had they continued. From being a de facto New Wave band, contemporaries of The Jam, The Boomtown Rats, The Specials, Madness, Kate Bush etc, firstly The Police and then solo Sting went very AOR.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 04 Nov 2015, 01:40

Mallard No. 22 wrote:I'm afraid I never took to Sting's solo work, it just seems unmemorable. But I have only heard the prominent hit singles, others who have heard the albums quite rightly might have a different view.

I think it shows where The Police would have gone, had they continued. From being a de facto New Wave band, contemporaries of The Jam, The Boomtown Rats, The Specials, Madness, Kate Bush etc, firstly The Police and then solo Sting went very AOR.

Agreed...even some of "Synchronicity" can be considered AOR..... Moody Blues, overrated or not?

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 04 Nov 2015, 01:44

Conversley (to UB40), Bob Marley.

Yes, its great music. But its..ah, I don't know..a bit too samey, for me. Not all of it, whoa no, but a good amount of it.

Some great albums though.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 05 Nov 2015, 05:42

AdvertBreak wrote:Conversley (to UB40), Bob Marley.

Yes, its great music. But its..ah, I don't know..a bit too samey, for me. Not all of it, whoa no, but a good amount of it.

Some great albums though.

Definitely.... Let me see...overrated...Ed Sheeran......

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 05 Nov 2015, 17:53

Indeed. Can't stand him haha. Or Sam Smith, and the general, ur, singer-songwriter schmaltz that passes for Grammys and mega-platinum sales today.

I find Fleetwood Mac's Rumours to be both great but overrated. It's not the best album of 1977. It's nowhere near as good as Tusk (which is underrated). But it is still a collection of great pop rock tracks.

JAIME

Post by JAIME » 05 Nov 2015, 19:47

Considering the experience in my country, I'd say that U2, The Rolling Stones, Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, Oasis, Madonna, Metallica, Depeche Mode and few others are absolutely overrated here.

I don't like Sonic Youth, but I wouldn't say there are "over"rated here anyway.

Mrbriggs

Post by Mrbriggs » 05 Nov 2015, 23:32

The Doors

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 05 Nov 2015, 23:46

AdvertBreak wrote:Definitely Adele. I might have liked, say, Someone Like You to a small extent if it hadn't been shoved down my ears 10 times a day throughout 2011.
Not sure if you know, but one of the good things about the radio is being able to change the station if you want to listen to something else. :P
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

metalhipslop

Post by metalhipslop » 06 Nov 2015, 00:14

tom_cas1 wrote:
AdvertBreak wrote:Definitely Adele. I might have liked, say, Someone Like You to a small extent if it hadn't been shoved down my ears 10 times a day throughout 2011.
Not sure if you know, but one of the good things about the radio is being able to change the station if you want to listen to something else. :P
Yes, too bad my boss wont
Textin' abbreviates the brain. Aspirin takes away the pain.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 06 Nov 2015, 02:22

That song was inescapable that year. I used to hear it on TV, used during TV shows, promos/trailers, it would be played at school when we'd have the radio on during certain lessons or when people took requests, it would be played in every taxi I went in. Every public gathering, parties and stuff. Other people I know would play it. It was always in public spaces, like shops and restaurants. Popular with buskers too practically all the time I'd seem that year I recall. Its impossible to avoid huge songs.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 06 Nov 2015, 07:15

AdvertBreak wrote:Indeed. Can't stand him haha. Or Sam Smith, and the general, ur, singer-songwriter schmaltz that passes for Grammys and mega-platinum sales today.

I find Fleetwood Mac's Rumours to be both great but overrated. It's not the best album of 1977. It's nowhere near as good as Tusk (which is underrated). But it is still a collection of great pop rock tracks.

That's an interesting perspective on "Rumours".... The best Fleetwood Mac era to me is still involving Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, and Jeremy Spencer. I even prefer some of the Bob Welch era to "Rumours" to a lesser degree.....But lord did it have such memorable tunes... "Tusk" was way up there as well....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 Nov 2015, 08:47

Re: Ed Sheeran etc....
AdvertBreak wrote:Indeed. Can't stand him haha. Or Sam Smith, and the general, ur, singer-songwriter schmaltz that passes for Grammys and mega-platinum sales today.
Yes, great point. I am not saying that these artists are incapable, but there is a 'generic-ness' about them. it owes more to the 'X-Factor' than it does to grass-roots musicianship.

Re - Fleetwood Mac, yes I personally am most interested in the Peter Green period. 'Rumours' is good, but overplayed.