Underrated Music

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

101reykjavik

Re: Underrated Music

Post by 101reykjavik » 11 Oct 2014, 09:24

Yep, Squeeze are pretty good. Can't decide if I'd exactly class them as under-rated though. I'm thinking how Difford/Tilbrook were hailed as the new Lennon/McCartney at the time, and that's definitely not under-rating! :lol:

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 11 Oct 2014, 12:24

101reykjavik wrote:Yep, Squeeze are pretty good. Can't decide if I'd exactly class them as under-rated though. I'm thinking how Difford/Tilbrook were hailed as the new Lennon/McCartney at the time, and that's definitely not under-rating! :lol:
haha.....That's true...but I'm essentially referring to in retrospect from today. I know Squeeze was not necessarily a revolutionary band by any means whatsoever, but i seldom hear them (except for "Tempted") on the radio or people seldom discuss them. What is so hilarious, I saw them in live in '85 (when I was merely 8) opening-up for the short-lived band, Hooters....So it was the Squeeze/Hooters concert! :lol: Squeeze was touring in support of "Cosi Fan Tutti Frutti" which isn't that too bad of an album....

Another band I still find underrated since I seldom here people discuss them (and I mentioned them before in this thread) is definitely the Stranglers, but obviously they haven't been the same since Hugh left them in '90.....

mr_spenalzo

Post by mr_spenalzo » 11 Oct 2014, 17:12

Here's a risky one: U2.

Alright, they sell albums in huge quantities and are without a doubt the biggest group of the past 30 years. Someone called them the closest thing to The Beatles since The Beatles, in terms of worldwide impact and artistic achievements and although they're not my favourite band there's plenty to back such a statement.

And yet, it seems everyone hates them, largely because they really don't like the singer. The questionable release strategy behind their new album is threatening to overshadow the fact that U2 have just made their most interesting record since Pop, maybe even Zooropa.

Look at their music, and most of it is dramatic, fantastic, funny, dark and sexy, and up there with the best dramatic, fantactic, funny, dark and sexy music that's been made. I'd struggle to make a list of 50 of their best songs, only because I'd probably have trouble narrowing it down from 80 5-star tracks.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 12 Oct 2014, 09:06

I don't like them. I don't know anything about Bono, so it can't stem from hatred of him. I just think their music sucks.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 12 Oct 2014, 13:14

I've always loved U2 and that dates back to when I first heard "New Years Day" back in '83 and then I subsequently fell in love with their following three albums, but I was rather mixed on "Achung Baby" initially, however, I've had some difficulty fully embracing their albums since (mainly on a song by song basis). I saw them in concert during their "360 Degree" tour and was thoroughly impressed. I've been a huge Bono fan, but I guess to each their own.

What I especially love about U2, how they've managed to survive/endure by recreating themselves effectively and not selling-out or fully compromising themselves.

Here's one underrated to me....Cornershop, how does everyone else feel about them?

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 21 Oct 2014, 17:21

I'd say Beck is massively underrated, at least here in the UK. I don't know what it's like in the US but over here he deserves a lot more attention.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

Pasta

Post by Pasta » 21 Oct 2014, 19:14

TripleJay97 wrote:The The.
i thought i was in the over rated music thread and i was about to write a huge rant on how wrong you are

but anyway i think the the are rated fairly highly where you are but it's going to be different all over the world of course

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 21 Oct 2014, 21:12

The The I think, by definition, have to be considered under rated as the music is relatively obscure, although much admired by those aware of it.

I loved U2 when I was younger and you can't fault the vast bulk of their 80s output, plus Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop, the latter being their most creative and furtile run of albums I think. After that they seemed to either lose their nerve or their muse. Whilst I remained loyal to the cause for a while, I must admit everything thereafter is sub standard really. But I'm not convinced you can call such an enormously successful band, loved by millions, underrated just because so many people seem to despise Bono.
Last edited by 101reykjavik on 25 Oct 2014, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 22 Oct 2014, 13:10

tom_cas1 wrote:I'd say Beck is massively underrated, at least here in the UK. I don't know what it's like in the US but over here he deserves a lot more attention.
Agreed. No one I know has heard anything beyond Loser and Devil's Haircut.
Last edited by TripleJay97 on 26 Oct 2014, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 23 Oct 2014, 06:32

TripleJay97 wrote:^Agreed. No one I know has heard anything beyond Loser and Devil's Haircut.

That right there is depressing..."Odelay" alone will always be a special c.d. in my heart (again, several wonderful memories when I was listening to that on a regular basis back during 1996) and then "Guero" was also something sacred to me! But definitely my fave song of his is certainly "Think I'm In Love"....

I still contend Donovan is vastly underrated and I often compare him to the 60s version of Beck!

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 23 Oct 2014, 12:51

Mutations is my favourite Beck album... It invokes so many weird feelings.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 25 Oct 2014, 08:43

TripleJay97 wrote:Mutations is my favourite Beck album... It invokes so many weird feelings.
Have you ever listened to Donovan? If not, you must check-out his album, "Sunshine Superman".....I bet you'll love it!

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 25 Oct 2014, 12:33

I've never heard of Donovan! I shall give it a listen :)

maria

Post by maria » 25 Oct 2014, 20:11

I've only listened to a Donovan Best Of album and some songs on my father's mixtapes, but I think you won't regret it TripleJay! Sunshine Superman, Mellow Yellow, Colours... amazing songs. Considering I've known his music for quite a while, I really should've already check out his albums :oops:

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 26 Oct 2014, 08:45

maria wrote:I've only listened to a Donovan Best Of album and some songs on my father's mixtapes, but I think you won't regret it TripleJay! Sunshine Superman, Mellow Yellow, Colours... amazing songs. Considering I've known his music for quite a while, I really should've already check out his albums :oops:

Maria, I honestly did the exact same thing up until the past few years....I played Donovan's Best Of nonstop and finally decided to delve into all of his albums and it broadened my appreciation of him even further.....Also, I love listening to when he's being interview...He has so much insight about music and wonderful memories chronically quite a bit......

Another underrated band to me is the Meat Puppets...At least Nirvana acknowledged them during their Unplugged performance, but they deserve even more due!