Page 19 of 23

Re: Underrated Music

Posted: 09 Aug 2015, 19:30
by Lt Pinkerton
AdvertBreak wrote:Red House Painters
Yes! Although they've been rediscovered lately due to Kozelek's solo success they remain quite underrated imo. One of my favourite 90s bands.

Re: Underrated Music

Posted: 10 Aug 2015, 03:56
by KingLouieLouie76
Eurythmics, underrated?

Re: Underrated Music

Posted: 11 Aug 2015, 06:11
by Mallard No. 22
:? Not really. Not in the UK, anyway.

Re: Underrated Music

Posted: 14 Sep 2015, 22:16
by AdvertBreak
Stump

Great band from the mid-late 80s, associated with C86 (how I found out about them) but really they're just too bizarre for it, in a good way obviously. Two great albums, Quirk Out and A Fierce Pancake which I've only just recently heard in full but liked instantly.

Re: Underrated Music

Posted: 14 Sep 2015, 22:26
by TripleJay97
AdvertBreak wrote:Stump

Great band from the mid-late 80s, associated with C86 (how I found out about them) but really they're just too bizarre for it, in a good way obviously. Two great albums, Quirk Out and A Fierce Pancake which I've only just recently heard in full but liked instantly.
I came.

Oddly, the version of Buffalo on C86 (the 'single' version) is nearly a minute longer than the album version.

Re: Underrated Music

Posted: 14 Sep 2015, 22:28
by AdvertBreak
I hadn't noticed that, as its been a while since I played C86 on CD. I mostly play its tracks online where they're ripped from the actual band's releases.

Re: Underrated Music

Posted: 04 Nov 2015, 01:43
by AdvertBreak
UB40.

A shame they turned out the way the did. I don't just mean the last two years, I mean the last 30. But the early stuff is great, and even some of the stuff after that.

Re: Underrated Music

Posted: 04 Nov 2015, 01:47
by KingLouieLouie76
AdvertBreak wrote:UB40.

A shame they turned out the way the did. I don't just mean the last two years, I mean the last 30. But the early stuff is great, and even some of the stuff after that.

Always been an immense fan... how about Simply Red?

Re: Underrated Music

Posted: 04 Nov 2015, 01:53
by Mark72
AdvertBreak wrote:UB40.

A shame they turned out the way the did. I don't just mean the last two years, I mean the last 30. But the early stuff is great, and even some of the stuff after that.
One in ten is a great track!

Re: Underrated Music

Posted: 04 Nov 2015, 02:14
by KingLouieLouie76
Mark72 wrote:
AdvertBreak wrote:UB40.

A shame they turned out the way the did. I don't just mean the last two years, I mean the last 30. But the early stuff is great, and even some of the stuff after that.
One in ten is a great track!

Agreed....."Falling In Love With You" was such a brilliant cover.. They of course did Neil Diamond justice with their "Red Red Wine" version.... plus.. love their originals as well... just came out at the wrong time...which is a recurring theme.....

Re: Underrated Music

Posted: 04 Nov 2015, 02:17
by AdvertBreak
My favourite albums are definitely the first two, Signing Off and Present Arms. They're just as dub as their are reggae, and as well as classics like One in Ten and King, there's even great stuff like Madame Medusa.

Sure, they became more of a singles band 1983 onwards, but they still did a lot of great stuff. As I said, its a shame they had better success with cover versions over their own stuff, even though a lot of them were good (Red Red Wine and Can't Help Falling in Love are also my favourites).

Of the poppier albums, Rat in the Kitchen from 1986 is definitely my favourite.

Re: Underrated Music

Posted: 04 Nov 2015, 02:19
by KingLouieLouie76
AdvertBreak wrote:My favourite albums are definitely the first two, Signing Off and Present Arms. They're just as dub as their are reggae, and as well as classics like One in Ten and King, there's even great stuff like Madame Medusa.

Sure, they became more of a singles band 1983 onwards, but they still did a lot of great stuff. As I said, its a shame they had better success with cover versions over their own stuff, even though a lot of them were good (Red Red Wine and Can't Help Falling in Love are also my favourites).

Of the poppier albums, Rat in the Kitchen from 1986 is definitely my favourite.

Simply Red suffered from that as well...don't know if you ever got into them... but this will always rank among my fave 80s songs.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLTJ5ktfyw8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: Underrated Music

Posted: 04 Nov 2015, 02:21
by AdvertBreak
I like Holding Back the Years and Fairground, but I'm not so big on Stars and a few others. But to be honest, that's all I know.

Re: Underrated Music

Posted: 04 Nov 2015, 02:32
by KingLouieLouie76
AdvertBreak wrote:I like Holding Back the Years and Fairground, but I'm not so big on Stars and a few others. But to be honest, that's all I know.

Yeah...those aforementioned tracks are among their best...... Spandau Ballet is also very underrated.... just got overshadowed by Duran Duran more than anything else....

Re: Underrated Music

Posted: 04 Nov 2015, 02:45
by AdvertBreak
I really like the 12" version of To Cut a Long Story Short (12" because it extends that great synthesiser melody).