Underrated Music

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Lt Pinkerton
Posts: 1373
Joined: 23 Feb 2015, 10:27

Re: Underrated Music

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 09 Aug 2015, 19:30

AdvertBreak wrote:Red House Painters
Yes! Although they've been rediscovered lately due to Kozelek's solo success they remain quite underrated imo. One of my favourite 90s bands.

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Underrated Music

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 10 Aug 2015, 03:56

Eurythmics, underrated?
Image

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2447
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: Underrated Music

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 11 Aug 2015, 06:11

:? Not really. Not in the UK, anyway.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5579
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: Underrated Music

Post by AdvertBreak » 14 Sep 2015, 22:16

Stump

Great band from the mid-late 80s, associated with C86 (how I found out about them) but really they're just too bizarre for it, in a good way obviously. Two great albums, Quirk Out and A Fierce Pancake which I've only just recently heard in full but liked instantly.

User avatar
TripleJay97
Posts: 7031
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 17:42
Location: Royston Vasey

Re: Underrated Music

Post by TripleJay97 » 14 Sep 2015, 22:26

AdvertBreak wrote:Stump

Great band from the mid-late 80s, associated with C86 (how I found out about them) but really they're just too bizarre for it, in a good way obviously. Two great albums, Quirk Out and A Fierce Pancake which I've only just recently heard in full but liked instantly.
I came.

Oddly, the version of Buffalo on C86 (the 'single' version) is nearly a minute longer than the album version.
Image

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5579
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: Underrated Music

Post by AdvertBreak » 14 Sep 2015, 22:28

I hadn't noticed that, as its been a while since I played C86 on CD. I mostly play its tracks online where they're ripped from the actual band's releases.

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5579
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: Underrated Music

Post by AdvertBreak » 04 Nov 2015, 01:43

UB40.

A shame they turned out the way the did. I don't just mean the last two years, I mean the last 30. But the early stuff is great, and even some of the stuff after that.

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Underrated Music

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 04 Nov 2015, 01:47

AdvertBreak wrote:UB40.

A shame they turned out the way the did. I don't just mean the last two years, I mean the last 30. But the early stuff is great, and even some of the stuff after that.

Always been an immense fan... how about Simply Red?
Image

User avatar
Mark72
Posts: 1123
Joined: 07 Sep 2014, 09:52
Location: Oxford. U.K.
Contact:

Re: Underrated Music

Post by Mark72 » 04 Nov 2015, 01:53

AdvertBreak wrote:UB40.

A shame they turned out the way the did. I don't just mean the last two years, I mean the last 30. But the early stuff is great, and even some of the stuff after that.
One in ten is a great track!
“I need something to remind me that there’s something else”

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Underrated Music

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 04 Nov 2015, 02:14

Mark72 wrote:
AdvertBreak wrote:UB40.

A shame they turned out the way the did. I don't just mean the last two years, I mean the last 30. But the early stuff is great, and even some of the stuff after that.
One in ten is a great track!

Agreed....."Falling In Love With You" was such a brilliant cover.. They of course did Neil Diamond justice with their "Red Red Wine" version.... plus.. love their originals as well... just came out at the wrong time...which is a recurring theme.....
Image

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5579
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: Underrated Music

Post by AdvertBreak » 04 Nov 2015, 02:17

My favourite albums are definitely the first two, Signing Off and Present Arms. They're just as dub as their are reggae, and as well as classics like One in Ten and King, there's even great stuff like Madame Medusa.

Sure, they became more of a singles band 1983 onwards, but they still did a lot of great stuff. As I said, its a shame they had better success with cover versions over their own stuff, even though a lot of them were good (Red Red Wine and Can't Help Falling in Love are also my favourites).

Of the poppier albums, Rat in the Kitchen from 1986 is definitely my favourite.

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Underrated Music

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 04 Nov 2015, 02:19

AdvertBreak wrote:My favourite albums are definitely the first two, Signing Off and Present Arms. They're just as dub as their are reggae, and as well as classics like One in Ten and King, there's even great stuff like Madame Medusa.

Sure, they became more of a singles band 1983 onwards, but they still did a lot of great stuff. As I said, its a shame they had better success with cover versions over their own stuff, even though a lot of them were good (Red Red Wine and Can't Help Falling in Love are also my favourites).

Of the poppier albums, Rat in the Kitchen from 1986 is definitely my favourite.

Simply Red suffered from that as well...don't know if you ever got into them... but this will always rank among my fave 80s songs.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLTJ5ktfyw8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5579
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: Underrated Music

Post by AdvertBreak » 04 Nov 2015, 02:21

I like Holding Back the Years and Fairground, but I'm not so big on Stars and a few others. But to be honest, that's all I know.

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3223
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Underrated Music

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 04 Nov 2015, 02:32

AdvertBreak wrote:I like Holding Back the Years and Fairground, but I'm not so big on Stars and a few others. But to be honest, that's all I know.

Yeah...those aforementioned tracks are among their best...... Spandau Ballet is also very underrated.... just got overshadowed by Duran Duran more than anything else....
Image

User avatar
AdvertBreak
Posts: 5579
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 17:34
Location: Gorgeous Wiltshire

Re: Underrated Music

Post by AdvertBreak » 04 Nov 2015, 02:45

I really like the 12" version of To Cut a Long Story Short (12" because it extends that great synthesiser melody).

Post Reply