Underrated Music

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

mr_spenalzo
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 Sep 2014, 18:38

Re: Underrated Music

Post by mr_spenalzo » 06 Oct 2014, 17:57

KingLouieLouie76 wrote: Tears for Fears...Underrated or not?
I'd say "not". If all their stuff was as great as their best (and released albums a bit more frequently) I'd have shouted "hell yeah!", but after those first 2 fantastic albums there's been a lot of gaps between the shows of greatness. And those first 2 are hardly underrated, seeing as they're seen as classics.

Simple Minds would get a vote. The first 6 albums or so deserve all the praise they're getting, but to suggest they sucked over 10 albums after New Gold Dream is to be a bit ignorant... Maybe Street Fighting Years and Real Life were a bit crap, and they never made anything as fantastic as Empires & Dance again, but their later albums are very good.

User avatar
TripleJay97
Posts: 7040
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 17:42
Location: Royston Vasey

Re: Underrated Music

Post by TripleJay97 » 06 Oct 2014, 20:12

Simple Minds are incredible, people only seem to remember them for that damn Breakfast Club song though.
Image

User avatar
101reykjavik
Posts: 5303
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 20:26
Location: Beautiful Somerset

Re: Underrated Music

Post by 101reykjavik » 06 Oct 2014, 20:18

TripleJay97 wrote:Simple Minds are incredible, people only seem to remember them for that damn Breakfast Club song though.
I like their early material the most. Stuff like I Travel is great.
Image

UnderThePuritan
Posts: 160
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 10:31

Re: Underrated Music

Post by UnderThePuritan » 07 Oct 2014, 15:08

Hum!
Image

User avatar
TripleJay97
Posts: 7040
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 17:42
Location: Royston Vasey

Re: Underrated Music

Post by TripleJay97 » 07 Oct 2014, 16:58

I checked out Hum as a result of that post and 'Stars' isn't bad.
Image

UnderThePuritan
Posts: 160
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 10:31

Re: Underrated Music

Post by UnderThePuritan » 07 Oct 2014, 17:21

TripleJay97 wrote:I checked out Hum as a result of that post and 'Stars' isn't bad.
Matt Talbott's singing style is an acquired taste but they sure did create some great sounds. Make sure to check out 'Why I Like The Robins'. Beautiful.
Image

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3236
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Underrated Music

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 08 Oct 2014, 08:04

mr_spenalzo wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote: Tears for Fears...Underrated or not?
I'd say "not". If all their stuff was as great as their best (and released albums a bit more frequently) I'd have shouted "hell yeah!", but after those first 2 fantastic albums there's been a lot of gaps between the shows of greatness. And those first 2 are hardly underrated, seeing as they're seen as classics.

Simple Minds would get a vote. The first 6 albums or so deserve all the praise they're getting, but to suggest they sucked over 10 albums after New Gold Dream is to be a bit ignorant... Maybe Street Fighting Years and Real Life were a bit crap, and they never made anything as fantastic as Empires & Dance again, but their later albums are very good.

First...nice pun on "shouted"....haha....Seriously....I agree w/you..."the Hurting" and "Songs from the Big Chair" were extremely legendary to me, but then they gradually lost steam over time...Then Roland tried to soldier on with Curt and that backfired some....I wish though I saw them when they reunited....

I do agree with Simple Minds...several classics they generated....

Talk Talk is very underrated to me...they definitely influenced several other themselves, but never get the proper recognition....
Image

User avatar
MsMagicAmerica
Posts: 1587
Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 15:33
Location: New Jersey,USA
Contact:

Re: Underrated Music

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 08 Oct 2014, 15:40

What about John Mellencamp?

mr_spenalzo
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 Sep 2014, 18:38

Re: Underrated Music

Post by mr_spenalzo » 08 Oct 2014, 18:23

KingLouieLouie76 wrote: First...nice pun on "shouted".
Complete coincidence I have to admit!

I do like several songs on the Seeds Of Love album (the almost title-track, Advice For The Young At Heart), but overall it's not impressive like their previous stuff.

Looking forward to the next Simple Minds album. I'm hearing great things about it.

Now we're in the 80s I'll add The Blue Nile to the mix. A Walk Across The Rooftops is phenomenal, deserving of as much praise as, say, Hounds Of Love.

And The Style Council... better than The Jam or Weller solo.

User avatar
TripleJay97
Posts: 7040
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 17:42
Location: Royston Vasey

Re: Underrated Music

Post by TripleJay97 » 08 Oct 2014, 18:32

The The.
Image

mr_spenalzo
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 Sep 2014, 18:38

Re: Underrated Music

Post by mr_spenalzo » 08 Oct 2014, 18:36

The?

User avatar
TripleJay97
Posts: 7040
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 17:42
Location: Royston Vasey

Re: Underrated Music

Post by TripleJay97 » 08 Oct 2014, 18:58

Image

User avatar
Mallard No. 22
Posts: 2500
Joined: 01 Oct 2014, 07:46
Location: North East UK

Re: Underrated Music

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 08 Oct 2014, 20:18

mr_spenalzo wrote:And The Style Council... better than The Jam or Weller solo.
Paul Weller probably at his most potent during late-Jam, early-Style Council.

He went into a lull in the later 80s, as did so much music. Simple Minds suffered at this time as well. As 101reykjavik said, I think their earlier work was better.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3236
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Underrated Music

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 10 Oct 2014, 15:20

mr_spenalzo wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote: First...nice pun on "shouted".
Complete coincidence I have to admit!

I do like several songs on the Seeds Of Love album (the almost title-track, Advice For The Young At Heart), but overall it's not impressive like their previous stuff.

Looking forward to the next Simple Minds album. I'm hearing great things about it.

Now we're in the 80s I'll add The Blue Nile to the mix. A Walk Across The Rooftops is phenomenal, deserving of as much praise as, say, Hounds Of Love.

And The Style Council... better than The Jam or Weller solo.

Agreed on your "Seeds of Love" assessment.... I love Weller equally whether with the Jam, Style Council, or solo..... Also, everyone is spot on regarding Simple Minds....

Here's another band that I find underrated, but several may feel otherwise...Squeeze....They're the first band I ever saw in concert.....
Image

User avatar
TripleJay97
Posts: 7040
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 17:42
Location: Royston Vasey

Re: Underrated Music

Post by TripleJay97 » 10 Oct 2014, 16:13

Ash are quite underrated, aren't they? There's a band I've always loved that often supports bands like Weezer, when it should be the other way around.
Image

Post Reply