Elliott Smith

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

saltandgin

Elliott Smith

Post by saltandgin » 30 Sep 2014, 23:03

Elliott Smith is/was amazing, a little like Leonard Cohen writing Beatles tunes. Any one like? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeq7ud1hZp8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NOT for the likes of you. Image

101reykjavik

Re: Elliott Smith

Post by 101reykjavik » 01 Oct 2014, 10:46

Yes! I really love Elliott Smith. I came to his stuff late, the time of Figure 8, and then worked my way backwards from there and very quickly realised I'd been missing out an on incredibly rare, melodic talent. If you like The Beatles sense of melody, and I find it hard to believe you wouldn't enjoy Elliott Smith. Was such a shock when I heard he'd died - remember how and when I found out even now. I was flicking around teletext (remember that kids?) on my bedroom tv, and bam, there was the headline: found dead.

I'd say XO is probably his masterpiece but I love all the albums to be honest, they've all got great songs on them.

saltandgin

Post by saltandgin » 31 Oct 2014, 01:01

His first and last albums have such an amazing sense of intimacy, like you are the only one listening. Like the Beatles meets Springsteen's Nebraska.
NOT for the likes of you. Image

MsMagicAmerica

Post by MsMagicAmerica » 12 Jan 2015, 04:52

If one was going to delve into his music, where would they start?

I'm trying to finally listen to artists that I've always heard of and have always been meaning to look into but never have for some reason.

101reykjavik

Post by 101reykjavik » 12 Jan 2015, 09:23

MsMagicAmerica wrote:If one was going to delve into his music, where would they start?

I'm trying to finally listen to artists that I've always heard of and have always been meaning to look into but never have for some reason.
Either/Or, XO and Figure Eight are great places to start. These are a bit more commercial with a fuller production sound and I think his songs became more rounded too. I'd probably plump for XO. Loving The Beatles, I'd be surprised if you didn't find something to enjoy in Elliott's melodies. He doesn't have the strength of voice like Lennon or McCartney of course, but it is an instrument that conveys emotion very well. I'd highly recommend you give it a go. :)

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 09 Feb 2015, 05:48

I've been up since 4:30am listening to Either/Or for the first time, and I don't consider it a morning wasted.

Legless Owl

Post by Legless Owl » 23 Apr 2015, 21:35

The man was a genius. I still remember precisely how shocked I was while browsing the Liverpool FC off topic boards in october 2003 and seeing a thread saying "RIP Elliott Smith". I couldn't quite believe it. His music is so inspiring and his voice... there's something about it I can't really explain, it's not perfect and yet it is because it makes me feel so emotional, like it spoke directly to both my heart and soul (Graham's voice does that to me too)

My fav song is Pitseleh. It's actually in my top 5 songs of all time. Beautiful lyrics which I can now really relate to ("i'm not what's missing from your life now, I could never be the puzzle pieces", "I'm not half what I wish I was. I'm so angry, I don't think it'll ever pass, and I was bad news for you just because I never meant to hurt you") and a simple and yet powerful melody.

Miki

Post by Miki » 23 Apr 2015, 21:54

Love him :)
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Sean

Post by Sean » 24 Apr 2015, 08:04

If you don't love Elliott Smith you don't love life.
Twitter: @shornKOOMINS