Beck Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Re: Beck Thread

Postby Miki » 26 Sep 2016, 16:29

I've been playing Dreams, Wow and Up All Night back to back for a while. Some thoughts:
- they actually fit together very well and there's definitely a theme emerging (whether that's for everyone, that's another matter).
- my personal preference goes to Wow, which I find the most interesting track out of the three and, in some ways, the most Beckish. Dreams comes second, Up All Night third.
- Up All Night works better next to the other songs than it does alone. It picks up some of the themes found in the other two songs and in that context, it gets stronger. It's more of an album track than a single.
- as an aside: listening to the high quality audio of Dreams and Wow against the low quality of the Youtube rip of UAN makes a huge difference, so I look forward to hearing the proper recording of the new song.

He has only just started playing Wow live, but so far Dreams is the better live performance. He has actually beefed out the song live and it works better on stage than it does on record. I think Wow still needs to find its feet as a live song. I will be very interested to see how the new album will translate live, given that the live shows have been the biggest drive for this album and Beck has stressed he wanted a record he could have fun with when performing.
I've been drifting along in the same stale old shoes
Loose ends tyin' a noose in the back of my mind...

Miki

Postby Lt Pinkerton » 26 Sep 2016, 19:46

It's catchy enough I guess but it sounds like it could've been written by any other act. And I guess I could say the same thing for both Dreams and Wow.
Lt Pinkerton

Postby davidsutter » 26 Sep 2016, 20:49

better than wow, not as good as dreams
this album's gonna be weak, isn't it
davidsutter

Postby tom_cas1 » 27 Sep 2016, 00:33

Based on this track, yes.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

Postby Miki » 27 Sep 2016, 00:33

Wow is a great track. It's the closest Beck has been to his old self in recent years. It has everything you want from him: the weird lyrics, the crazy details (lions growling, kids voices, 8-bit games sounds, slide whistles... and please, listen to the HD download not the poor audio quality of Youtube. Makes a world of difference). It has a great melodic build up.

I love Dreams, it is catchy and poppy, but still brings in the quirky side of Beck, it incorporates elements that you don't find in the average pop song. It's very much in the vein of bands like MGMT and has a great psychedelic bridge, with a garage rock vibe.

Up All Night is definitely the weakest of the three. Lyrically is very cliche - though there are a couple of great lines and imagery - but I wonder if that's been done on purpose, to highlight some of the cliche you see at live shows ("hands up in the air" and the rest). Musically... I actually quite like the verses, I hear Beck in there, some of the melodies he builds into his songs... it's the chorus that I think lets it down. He went for the hook, but makes the song sound too generic. I would like to hear it in better audio quality. Youtube is pretty rubbish.

I reserve judgement about the album when I hear it in its totality.

It's going to be pop, clearly. That's what he's into, right now. If he wanted to confound expectations, he certainly managed it. In a way, it is quite subversive for him to go so mainstream.

Miki

Postby Miki » 27 Sep 2016, 12:16

Interestingly, RS calls the FIFA track "an early version of a new song from the forthcoming album"...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... ht-w442008

Miki

Postby tom_cas1 » 27 Sep 2016, 12:39

Hopefully the final version doesn't sound anything like it :lol: It's terrible, I'm sorry. I hate that I'm saying a Beck song is terrible because I LOVE Beck. But I don't love this. Wow, yes. Dreams, maybe. This new one, no. Hell no.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

Postby tom_cas1 » 27 Sep 2016, 17:21

I got the new Mojo magazine today and on the back page/inside cover is an advert saying there's a big article on Beck's new album in the next Q magazine. Not sure when it's out.
tom_cas1

Postby Miki » 27 Sep 2016, 21:46

tom_cas1 wrote:I got the new Mojo magazine today and on the back page/inside cover is an advert saying there's a big article on Beck's new album in the next Q magazine. Not sure when it's out.

It's out already, I have it. All 14 glorious pages :mrgreen:

Not a lot about the new album than what we already know, but Beck is entertaining. Worth for the story of the grass suit and the goats alone :lol:

Miki

Postby bugman » 28 Sep 2016, 19:22

new song is great! so catchy, so happy!
bugman

Postby dparrott » 01 Oct 2016, 20:11

Just listened to Guero yesterday, that is one of my favorites. I LOVE Hell Yes and the bonus track Chain Reaction, and the others have good melodies.
dparrott

Postby tom_cas1 » 01 Oct 2016, 20:35

I love Guero, such a good album. I can't fault a single song on there and they all flow beautifully as a whole. Superb!

My favourite will always be The Information though. It was my first Beck album. I remember listening to a number of older Beck songs in the months before the album release and by the time the album came out I couldn't wait. I remember buying it and being knocked out musically. Superb! The promotion for that album was really good as well if I remember correctly, his long hair period, and really cool videos that accompanied each song on the album. :mrgreen:
tom_cas1

PreviousNext

Return to Music Is My Radar