Weezer Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Lt Pinkerton

Re: Weezer Thread

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 03 Nov 2015, 18:19

Man, what about this new song. I loved TGFG but this is classic Weezer.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 03 Nov 2015, 19:36

Lt Pinkerton wrote:Man, what about this new song. I loved TGFG but this is classic Weezer.
WAT GIMME

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 03 Nov 2015, 21:59

TripleJay97 wrote:
Lt Pinkerton wrote:Man, what about this new song. I loved TGFG but this is classic Weezer.
WAT GIMME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_Wu6lI ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; That bridge is so 90s Weezer. Love it.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 03 Nov 2015, 23:42

It's... beautiful

Mrbriggs

Post by Mrbriggs » 03 Nov 2015, 23:48

I wasn't sure about Thank God for Girls, but this new song is actually pretty good! It does remind me of 90s Weezer.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 06 Nov 2015, 15:19

Lt Pinkerton wrote:
TripleJay97 wrote:
WAT GIMME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_Wu6lI ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; That bridge is so 90s Weezer. Love it.

Okay...this is Weezer...Welcome Back!

But "Thank God For Girls".... hmmmmmmmm.. paging Matt Sharp, still need you back!

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 06 Nov 2015, 15:24

DYWGH is head and shoulders above TGFTG.

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 06 Nov 2015, 19:55

This new single is as good as the best stuff from the last album, nice.

(the last one is crap, tho)

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 06 Nov 2015, 21:06

It's so odd how this band can go from excellent to horrid in just a span of one song....that has been the case since "Pinkerton".....Just a rather confusing band overall to really figure out!

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 08 Nov 2015, 22:15

I've been listening to Pinkterton for a couple of days now and oh my it's a good record. Jolly good record! Most of the songs remind of something (something from Graham's early solo material, something from Syd Barrett etc.) in a good way. My favorite one right is El Scorcho because it is goofy and I like that kind of songs. The lyrics are not goofy though.

Anyway, I'm also listening to some songs from their later records - so far every thing is good and consistent but I'm leaning towards more popular numbers and I still haven't heard a thing from "Hurley" (they seriously put that guy from Lost face on cover?!) and Red album, so, I might just stumble upon a mediocre ones soon and my exitement will cool down a bit :lol: But right now, this is my jam!
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 08 Nov 2015, 22:45

"Pinkerton" to me was Weezer at their peak.... "Blue" was just as good... but they had attained a certain level w/"Pinkerton" that they haven't since...I've personally have only liked a handful of Weezer songs since "Pinkerton"....and they were just the hit singles... nothing more or nothing less...

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 10 Nov 2015, 06:54

Consigliere_11 wrote:I've been listening to Pinkterton for a couple of days now and oh my it's a good record. Jolly good record! Most of the songs remind of something (something from Graham's early solo material, something from Syd Barrett etc.) in a good way. My favorite one right is El Scorcho because it is goofy and I like that kind of songs. The lyrics are not goofy though.

Anyway, I'm also listening to some songs from their later records - so far every thing is good and consistent but I'm leaning towards more popular numbers and I still haven't heard a thing from "Hurley" (they seriously put that guy from Lost face on cover?!) and Red album, so, I might just stumble upon a mediocre ones soon and my exitement will cool down a bit :lol: But right now, this is my jam!
The thing with post-Pinkerton Weezer (and I'll exclude EWBAITE because it's a genuinely superb album) is that the songs that ended up on the albums were never the best ones from each era. It's not that Cuomo wanted the band to fail, it's just that the guy has a really weird taste and cannot tell what's good from what's bad, that's why in the early 2000s he posted songs online so fans could tell him what they thought about them. So if you actually make alternate tracklists (I'm not ashamed to say I've got one for every post-Pinkerton album :lol: ) replacing the shit songs with b-sides or demos that didn't make the album, the difference between their 90s material and their 2000s albums is not that abysmal. They never came close to their early output but that happens all the time with lots of band - songwriter gets old, changes his mind about a few musical aesthetics, ends up writing worse songs than he used to.

If you dig Pinkerton, check the deluxe edition out as well as Rivers' Alone III: The Pinkerton Years. There are some outstanding songs on them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKIh0fz4gJk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 10 Nov 2015, 23:28

Just imagine if "Songs from the Black Hole" became reality at the time....they would have blown the music industry away!

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 10 Nov 2015, 23:34

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:Just imagine if "Songs from the Black Hole" became reality at the time....they would have blown the music industry away!
I don't know. People didn't take Pinkerton seriously when it came out, I don't think SFTBH would've had a better critical reception at the time, particularly with such a loose storyline. In the end, I think we ended up getting the better album. I'm still hoping for a SFTBH official release though. Maybe next year with Pinkerton's 20th anniversary? One can only dream.
It's been recently revealed that Pat wanted Rivers to finish SFTBH in 2004, which is funny cause he was collaborating with Matt during that time. In a really Weezery fashion, instead of that Cuomo-Sharp album and SFTBH we ended up getting Make Believe :lol:

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 10 Nov 2015, 23:36

I don't think it would have blown the world away. I see it as just as likely to have caused split opinions as Pinkerton. It would have gained the cult status soon on though.