Weezer Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

TripleJay97

Re: Weezer Thread

Post by TripleJay97 » 15 May 2015, 05:35

Back to the Shack was apparently on Kerrang a lot, but I agree that the promotion was shit. One of the finest albums of last year in my opinion.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 15 May 2015, 05:57

Macducci wrote:I think that's the gig you watch, i watched too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He5KzmreYL4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
really strange, Rivers looks really bored, disinterested, barely speaking to the public and also introduces the band in a very awkward way during Pork and Beans. If you watch the EWBAITE gigs videos, you see a completely diferent Rivers, happy and talking a lot of times.
THIS! Meaning a very excellent point as to why they aren't promoted well....It's extremely complex to promote a band who just seems content on going through the motions...Even Matt in the beginning was the only marketable member of the band. It's just unfortunate because "Back to the Shack" left off where they were during "Blue" and nearly approaching on "Pinkerton".....Rivers and the rest seem so passive on stage or in any other venue/arena..... Maybe perhaps Pat might show some emotion, but rarely is anyone impressed with a drummer who does though (since they're forced to the back)..... Rivers just makes it awfully complex for anyone to pinpoint... He has to keep his moods in check more effectively which would allow everyone to receive them more positively, would boost everyone's general perception of them and better their overall image!

Macducci

Post by Macducci » 15 May 2015, 22:24

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
Macducci wrote:I think that's the gig you watch, i watched too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He5KzmreYL4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
really strange, Rivers looks really bored, disinterested, barely speaking to the public and also introduces the band in a very awkward way during Pork and Beans. If you watch the EWBAITE gigs videos, you see a completely diferent Rivers, happy and talking a lot of times.
THIS! Meaning a very excellent point as to why they aren't promoted well....It's extremely complex to promote a band who just seems content on going through the motions...Even Matt in the beginning was the only marketable member of the band. It's just unfortunate because "Back to the Shack" left off where they were during "Blue" and nearly approaching on "Pinkerton".....Rivers and the rest seem so passive on stage or in any other venue/arena..... Maybe perhaps Pat might show some emotion, but rarely is anyone impressed with a drummer who does though (since they're forced to the back)..... Rivers just makes it awfully complex for anyone to pinpoint... He has to keep his moods in check more effectively which would allow everyone to receive them more positively, would boost everyone's general perception of them and better their overall image!
In Ratidude era, Pat played guitar and they put another drummer, for Rivers not have to use the guitar the whole time, very strange move, because he's a great guitarrist. I try to understand the Rivers as a quiet and shy guy, but when i see stuff like this....: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy41VHILfj4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rODC1UkfF3U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 15 May 2015, 23:03

He was just trying to be a frontman when promoting Raditude, it was all acting. It was really, really weird to see him like that, he's just not made for that kind of stuff. I don't think that EWBAITE's lack of success can be connected to that, though. IMO it's all a matter or good or bad record promotion, and here well, it was just awful. Just a couple of TV shows, not many ads on the internet...and releasing Back To The Shack as the main single of the album was a mistake too. I'd say it's the weakest and less-EWBAITE sounding song in the album.

@Macducci, everytime I see videos of Pat playing guitar I think of what I wrote here a few days ago about his ego. Maybe Rivers was rewarding him for sticking up to drums for years, dunno.

Amazingly, that Aoki/Cuomo collaboration is not the shittest/weirdest that he's been involved in. It's not a well-known fact but he co-wrote and sang this song with iCarly lead actress Miranda Cosgrove :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxXtIFrKCeQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Macducci

Post by Macducci » 16 May 2015, 07:22

Lt Pinkerton wrote:He was just trying to be a frontman when promoting Raditude, it was all acting. It was really, really weird to see him like that, he's just not made for that kind of stuff. I don't think that EWBAITE's lack of success can be connected to that, though. IMO it's all a matter or good or bad record promotion, and here well, it was just awful. Just a couple of TV shows, not many ads on the internet...and releasing Back To The Shack as the main single of the album was a mistake too. I'd say it's the weakest and less-EWBAITE sounding song in the album.

@Macducci, everytime I see videos of Pat playing guitar I think of what I wrote here a few days ago about his ego. Maybe Rivers was rewarding him for sticking up to drums for years, dunno.

Amazingly, that Aoki/Cuomo collaboration is not the shittest/weirdest that he's been involved in. It's not a well-known fact but he co-wrote and sang this song with iCarly lead actress Miranda Cosgrove :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxXtIFrKCeQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Back To The Shack is like a song for the fans, doesn't fit so much on the album too, Da Vinci, Cleopatra or Go Away would be a better choice
Rivers keep changing places with Pat in some recent gigs for a couple of songs and they play Song 2 :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOK_41mJU9w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He wrote some stuff for Kesha too, strange he co-writing with other artists, as he uses various co-writers on the last records. And this is the most awkward stuff of Rivers on the Internet https://youtu.be/mhhiqV-kj6M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 16 May 2015, 16:18

First, I've never seen that George Lopez Show clip before and River's antics just seem too forced. Plus, he's resorting to all of that for one of their lesser songs. No one really takes Pat seriously on guitar.... Oh well....

I came across this today....River's covering the Beach Boys "God Only Knows" (today marks the 49th anniversary of the release of "Pet Sounds") and Rivers really nailed it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcQZbErmfTU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I honestly believe he could possibly be better off solo at this point (I know most of you would probably disagree with that or wouldn't obviously want to see Weezer disband)......

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 19 May 2015, 22:15

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:First, I've never seen that George Lopez Show clip before and River's antics just seem too forced. Plus, he's resorting to all of that for one of their lesser songs. No one really takes Pat seriously on guitar.... Oh well....

I came across this today....River's covering the Beach Boys "God Only Knows" (today marks the 49th anniversary of the release of "Pet Sounds") and Rivers really nailed it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcQZbErmfTU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I honestly believe he could possibly be better off solo at this point (I know most of you would probably disagree with that or wouldn't obviously want to see Weezer disband)......
Oh, that cover is amazing. I watched it every day soon after EWBAITE was released :lol: All the connections that can be drawn between Brian Wilson and Rivers, huh?

I don't see him going solo, tbh. Rivers is Weezer and the band has always gone in the direction that he's wanted to for better or for worse. Maybe disassociating from the Weezer name would give him warmer reviews but I don't think he has the heart to do so.
Macducci wrote:Back To The Shack is like a song for the fans, doesn't fit so much on the album too, Da Vinci, Cleopatra or Go Away would be a better choice
Rivers keep changing places with Pat in some recent gigs for a couple of songs and they play Song 2 :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOK_41mJU9w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He wrote some stuff for Kesha too, strange he co-writing with other artists, as he uses various co-writers on the last records. And this is the most awkward stuff of Rivers on the Internet https://youtu.be/mhhiqV-kj6M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Holy shit, that vid. You win this time :mrgreen: And I totally agree with you on Back to The Shack, it's more a huge "I'M SORRY, GUYS" than an actual single.

We should definitely have some polls so we can choose our favorite songs off each record. In the meantime, how good is Unspoken? Best thing on Hurley without question. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUqBSnHt26c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Macducci

Post by Macducci » 20 May 2015, 00:38

I really like the Alone albuns and should be great Rivers doing some acoustic/lo-fi solo stuff, but he seems more interested in collaborating with Steve Aoki, and like Lt Pinkerton said, ''Rivers is Weezer''.
My favorite song of Hurley is easily Time Flies for me, sounds like a demo, but is really great, unfortunately they never played live. Unspoken is really great on that acoustic versions, but i don't like the studio version.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 20 May 2015, 06:15

Lt Pinkerton wrote:
Oh, that cover is amazing. I watched it every day soon after EWBAITE was released :lol: All the connections that can be drawn between Brian Wilson and Rivers, huh?
I honestly never thought about the extreme parallels between those two until recently.... I could just go on and on.....And you're both spot on that Rivers is Weezer!

I wonder this.... it seems that Rivers and Matt never have issues performing together, but does both Pat and Brian resent Matt? I'm just baffled why Matt never returned.. I know perhaps the lawsuit could have complicated matters...

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 24 May 2015, 12:53

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
Lt Pinkerton wrote:
I honestly never thought about the extreme parallels between those two until recently.... I could just go on and on.....And you're both spot on that Rivers is Weezer!

I wonder this.... it seems that Rivers and Matt never have issues performing together, but does both Pat and Brian resent Matt? I'm just baffled why Matt never returned.. I know perhaps the lawsuit could have complicated matters...
I think that when Matt sued the rest of the band, Brian said that he still loved him like a brother. Not so sure abouth Pat, though, but they were cool in the 90's. Scott, on the other hand, has become tired of comparisons between him and Matt and said that he was a much better bass player. And I think he's right, Matt's departure or non-inclusion has nothing to do with Scott. Matt answered those comments by Scott by saying that what he brought to the band had nothing to do with his ability to play bass but with his relationship with Rivers. Nothing we didn't know before :mrgreen:

Should we do a Weezer survivor game? It'd be fun as hell for the first two and EWBAITE. And even for the bad records to see which song is worse! :lol:

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 26 May 2015, 03:58

Lt Pinkerton wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
Lt Pinkerton wrote:
I think that when Matt sued the rest of the band, Brian said that he still loved him like a brother. Not so sure abouth Pat, though, but they were cool in the 90's. Scott, on the other hand, has become tired of comparisons between him and Matt and said that he was a much better bass player. And I think he's right, Matt's departure or non-inclusion has nothing to do with Scott. Matt answered those comments by Scott by saying that what he brought to the band had nothing to do with his ability to play bass but with his relationship with Rivers. Nothing we didn't know before :mrgreen:

Should we do a Weezer survivor game? It'd be fun as hell for the first two and EWBAITE. And even for the bad records to see which song is worse! :lol:
No one is ever sure/certain about Pat? :lol: He just seems odd at times..... Yeah, Scott is probably a more gifted bassist, but not as well-rounded creatively like Matt is and or possesses more charisma/stage presence.

A Weezer survivor game seems intriguing......I would definitely be interested in it!

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 26 May 2015, 18:18

Let's give it a go then 8-) Could you change the title of the topic so to attract the interest of other people?

We'll start with Blue then. I'll try to ditch Holiday first :mrgreen:

My Name Is Jonas
No One Else
The World Has Turned and Left Me Here
Buddy Holly
Undone - The Sweater Song
Surf Wax America"
Say It Ain't So
In the Garage 1
Holiday 2
Only in Dreams
Last edited by Lt Pinkerton on 26 May 2015, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 26 May 2015, 18:52

Holiday

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 26 May 2015, 19:39

In the Garage

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 26 May 2015, 19:56

AdvertBreak wrote:In the Garage
But but but but but

I've got a Dungeon Master's Guide
I've got a 12-sided die
I've got Kitty Pryde
And Nightcrawler too
I've got posters on the wall
My favorite rock group KISS
I've got Ace Frehley
I've got Peter Criss

ITG represents what Weezer were all about imo. Although I get that it's very hard to ditch just one.