Weezer Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

Macducci
Posts: 160
Joined: 27 Apr 2015, 17:39

Re: Weezer Thread

Post by Macducci » 08 May 2015, 20:59

despite not liking The Rentals too much, i really like Matt Sharp, amazing basslines (Only in Dreams is perfect) and backing vocals in the first Weezer records and great stage presence during the live shows, on Pinkerton tour, Rivers was depressed as fuck, so Matt stole the attention from him. But i like Scott too, he's a great guy and really like his backing vocals and bass playing.

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Weezer Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 08 May 2015, 21:08

Lt Pinkerton wrote:Definitely, he doesn't get enough praise for what he gave to the band just cause his morals were quite lousy. He was extremely funny though and Rivers' best friend in the band. We can't blame what happened after Pinkerton on Matt's departure but the fact is that he always cheered Rivers up and that couldn't happen after 1997. So maybe Rivers wouldn't have locked himself up if he had still been friends with Matt, who knows.

Yeah, Matt kept Rivers in check....Too bad "Songs from the Black Hole" didn't materialize or that would have been one of the best albums ever.... I've read how Rivers and Matt have performed live together over the years....

Yes, I agree w/you Tom regarding the Rentals.... Just wish they kept their original line-up!
Image

Lt Pinkerton
Posts: 1373
Joined: 23 Feb 2015, 10:27

Re: Weezer Thread

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 08 May 2015, 23:02

tom_cas1 wrote:I'm going to say it, The Rentals > Weezer. Their last album Lost In Alphaville which came out last year is heads and shoulders above anything Weezer have done in years.
No, no, no. Just fucking no. And I love The Rentals a lot, but Weezer's first two records are just the best ever if we're talking about power pop.
KingLouieLouie76 wrote: Yeah, Matt kept Rivers in check....Too bad "Songs from the Black Hole" didn't materialize or that would have been one of the best albums ever.... I've read how Rivers and Matt have performed live together over the years....
Have you heard the SFTBH demos? They are indeed amazing. I mean, I love Pinkerton, but the potential there was even bigger. Rivers said he abandoned the idea because of what Matt accomplised with The Rentals, in fact. As usual, he was very self-aware and he didn't want anyone to think that he had stolen Matt's sound (the Moog synthesizers and all). A shame, really. If there's one album that I'd ever like to see released, it's SFTBH. 'Superfriend' was meant to be one of the greatest power pop songs of all-time and it just didn't happen. If you think about it, it is very sad that Weezer could never reach their actual potential due to Rivers' breakdown and self-awareness. The things he had to go through when Pinkerton was released? That's some tough shit.

User avatar
TripleJay97
Posts: 7031
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 17:42
Location: Royston Vasey

Re: Weezer Thread

Post by TripleJay97 » 09 May 2015, 06:33

Lt Pinkerton wrote:
tom_cas1 wrote:I'm going to say it, The Rentals > Weezer. Their last album Lost In Alphaville which came out last year is heads and shoulders above anything Weezer have done in years.
No, no, no. Just fucking no. And I love The Rentals a lot, but Weezer's first two records are just the best ever if we're talking about power pop.
KingLouieLouie76 wrote: Yeah, Matt kept Rivers in check....Too bad "Songs from the Black Hole" didn't materialize or that would have been one of the best albums ever.... I've read how Rivers and Matt have performed live together over the years....
Have you heard the SFTBH demos? They are indeed amazing. I mean, I love Pinkerton, but the potential there was even bigger. Rivers said he abandoned the idea because of what Matt accomplised with The Rentals, in fact. As usual, he was very self-aware and he didn't want anyone to think that he had stolen Matt's sound (the Moog synthesizers and all). A shame, really. If there's one album that I'd ever like to see released, it's SFTBH. 'Superfriend' was meant to be one of the greatest power pop songs of all-time and it just didn't happen. If you think about it, it is very sad that Weezer could never reach their actual potential due to Rivers' breakdown and self-awareness. The things he had to go through when Pinkerton was released? That's some tough shit.
I have both SFTBH tracklists in my iTunes and I think they both work really well.

Oh, what could have been...
Image

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Weezer Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 09 May 2015, 08:07

Lt Pinkerton wrote:
Have you heard the SFTBH demos? They are indeed amazing. I mean, I love Pinkerton, but the potential there was even bigger. Rivers said he abandoned the idea because of what Matt accomplised with The Rentals, in fact. As usual, he was very self-aware and he didn't want anyone to think that he had stolen Matt's sound (the Moog synthesizers and all). A shame, really. If there's one album that I'd ever like to see released, it's SFTBH. 'Superfriend' was meant to be one of the greatest power pop songs of all-time and it just didn't happen. If you think about it, it is very sad that Weezer could never reach their actual potential due to Rivers' breakdown and self-awareness. The things he had to go through when Pinkerton was released? That's some tough shit.

Yes, indeed I have! And I do agree w/you regarding "Superfriend"....Just the entire "SFTBH" concept was brilliant...At least Rivers managed to salvage some songs from "Pinkerton"....It reminds me of how Brian Wilson had something BEYOND special w/"Smile (the Beach Boys), but released something scaled back as "Smiley Smile" that wasn't as ambitious at the original project. Yeah, Rivers endured quite a bit during that period...The procedure on his leg and his mental state really compounded matters worse. It's a miracle he managed to survive beyond that! I'll never forget that awkward Rivers/Matt interview from several years back.... Rivers obviously didn't want to be there.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3NLwSVfSzw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I read where Rivers and Matt wrote several new compositions a decade ago, but haven't done anything w/it.... I hope somehow they can manage to put something out...

I love the Rentals though and I believe though Matt will never abandon that project again at all......
Image

Lt Pinkerton
Posts: 1373
Joined: 23 Feb 2015, 10:27

Re: Weezer Thread

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 09 May 2015, 16:45

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
Lt Pinkerton wrote:
Have you heard the SFTBH demos? They are indeed amazing. I mean, I love Pinkerton, but the potential there was even bigger. Rivers said he abandoned the idea because of what Matt accomplised with The Rentals, in fact. As usual, he was very self-aware and he didn't want anyone to think that he had stolen Matt's sound (the Moog synthesizers and all). A shame, really. If there's one album that I'd ever like to see released, it's SFTBH. 'Superfriend' was meant to be one of the greatest power pop songs of all-time and it just didn't happen. If you think about it, it is very sad that Weezer could never reach their actual potential due to Rivers' breakdown and self-awareness. The things he had to go through when Pinkerton was released? That's some tough shit.

Yes, indeed I have! And I do agree w/you regarding "Superfriend"....Just the entire "SFTBH" concept was brilliant...At least Rivers managed to salvage some songs from "Pinkerton"....It reminds me of how Brian Wilson had something BEYOND special w/"Smile (the Beach Boys), but released something scaled back as "Smiley Smile" that wasn't as ambitious at the original project. Yeah, Rivers endured quite a bit during that period...The procedure on his leg and his mental state really compounded matters worse. It's a miracle he managed to survive beyond that! I'll never forget that awkward Rivers/Matt interview from several years back.... Rivers obviously didn't want to be there.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3NLwSVfSzw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I read where Rivers and Matt wrote several new compositions a decade ago, but haven't done anything w/it.... I hope somehow they can manage to put something out...

I love the Rentals though and I believe though Matt will never abandon that project again at all......
I was actually thinking about that interview while writing my message :mrgreen: It sums up perfectly their relationship in the early years, Rivers being socially awkward and Matt trying to always be under the spotlight so people couldn't mess with Rivers.

I don't know if you guys have read River's Edge by John Luerssen. It has some flaws (it's like Luerssen thinks that Green and Maladroit are as good as the first two, for instance) but it's pretty interesting if you want to go deep in Rivers' personality. It's not like he was depressed or in a Brianwilsonesque ( :mrgreen: ) state, he was just ashamed because of Pinkerton and began obsessed with writing pop music with no feeling whatsoever. You also get to see that Pat was also a dick with Rivers sometimes 'cause he wanted Weezer to be a more collaborative project. I'm not trying to be mean, but Pat's solo music is quite appaling, so Rivers was obviously right. He was on a songwriting streak for 93 to 97.

Matt and Rivers worked together for a record in 2004, after Matt sued the band over royalties issues. Rivers showed up to a Matt solo show with his EP and a poster of him, quite sweet actually. The project was ultimately scrapped but at least we've got this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ywEFEqmO0o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I also love this performance of Mrs. Young (original Weezer demo that ended up being Please Let That Be You) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnIpAPz1obA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Weezer Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 10 May 2015, 06:53

Lt Pinkerton wrote:
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
Lt Pinkerton wrote:
I was actually thinking about that interview while writing my message :mrgreen: It sums up perfectly their relationship in the early years, Rivers being socially awkward and Matt trying to always be under the spotlight so people couldn't mess with Rivers.

I don't know if you guys have read River's Edge by John Luerssen. It has some flaws (it's like Luerssen thinks that Green and Maladroit are as good as the first two, for instance) but it's pretty interesting if you want to go deep in Rivers' personality. It's not like he was depressed or in a Brianwilsonesque ( :mrgreen: ) state, he was just ashamed because of Pinkerton and began obsessed with writing pop music with no feeling whatsoever. You also get to see that Pat was also a dick with Rivers sometimes 'cause he wanted Weezer to be a more collaborative project. I'm not trying to be mean, but Pat's solo music is quite appaling, so Rivers was obviously right. He was on a songwriting streak for 93 to 97.

Matt and Rivers worked together for a record in 2004, after Matt sued the band over royalties issues. Rivers showed up to a Matt solo show with his EP and a poster of him, quite sweet actually. The project was ultimately scrapped but at least we've got this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ywEFEqmO0o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I also love this performance of Mrs. Young (original Weezer demo that ended up being Please Let That Be You) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnIpAPz1obA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
First, I've always loved that "Mrs. Young" performance and that other clip. No, I've never read "River's Edge" but your account of it definitely sheds some light on River during that time. I never knew Pat treated him so negatively (which honestly shocks me!). It seems though River is gradually pulling out of the rut he tends to get into from time to time which is certainly reassuring... but I feel they're never recapture what they fully achieved on "Blue" and "Pinkerton" or the heights they would have gone if "SFTBH" fully came to fruition.
Image

Lt Pinkerton
Posts: 1373
Joined: 23 Feb 2015, 10:27

Re: Weezer Thread

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 11 May 2015, 18:42

KingLouieLouie76 wrote: First, I've always loved that "Mrs. Young" performance and that other clip. No, I've never read "River's Edge" but your account of it definitely sheds some light on River during that time. I never knew Pat treated him so negatively (which honestly shocks me!). It seems though River is gradually pulling out of the rut he tends to get into from time to time which is certainly reassuring... but I feel they're never recapture what they fully achieved on "Blue" and "Pinkerton" or the heights they would have gone if "SFTBH" fully came to fruition.
Pat's behaviour towards Rivers really surprised me, I didn't expect that from him. Actually, 3/4 of Weezer were absolute dicks in 1996 :lol: Brian never seemed to complain about his role and kept his other musical ambitions just for himself.

I think it's pretty obvious that they're never gonna release anything as good as what they did in the 90's. EWBAITE is my 3rd fave Weezer album and it doesn't even come close to what Blue and Pinkerton mean. Still, I'd be quite happy if they keep releasing good-not-great records. Anything except another Make Believe, please.

And I know this is gonna be controversial but I managed to almost listen to Raditude entirely the other day (almost because there is no way that I'm going through 'In The Mall' and 'Love is the Answer') and there are some fun -albeit very, very stupid- songs in there. Like bubblegum pop/Max Martin produced top 10 pop hits melodies. 'Let It All Hang Out' and 'Put Me Back Together' are perfect examples of what I'm saying: the melodies are catchy and fun but the production, lyrics and overall vibe of the songs are just well, awful. But if you just try to focus on the melodies, it ain't that horribly wrong. At least better than Make Believe IMO.

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Weezer Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 14 May 2015, 08:27

Lt Pinkerton wrote:
Pat's behaviour towards Rivers really surprised me, I didn't expect that from him. Actually, 3/4 of Weezer were absolute dicks in 1996 :lol: Brian never seemed to complain about his role and kept his other musical ambitions just for himself.

I think it's pretty obvious that they're never gonna release anything as good as what they did in the 90's. EWBAITE is my 3rd fave Weezer album and it doesn't even come close to what Blue and Pinkerton mean. Still, I'd be quite happy if they keep releasing good-not-great records. Anything except another Make Believe, please.

And I know this is gonna be controversial but I managed to almost listen to Raditude entirely the other day (almost because there is no way that I'm going through 'In The Mall' and 'Love is the Answer') and there are some fun -albeit very, very stupid- songs in there. Like bubblegum pop/Max Martin produced top 10 pop hits melodies. 'Let It All Hang Out' and 'Put Me Back Together' are perfect examples of what I'm saying: the melodies are catchy and fun but the production, lyrics and overall vibe of the songs are just well, awful. But if you just try to focus on the melodies, it ain't that horribly wrong. At least better than Make Believe IMO.

I must admit that I've never listened to "Raditude" and "Make Believe", but I was EXTREMELY impressed by "EWBAITE".....It's at least a step back in the right direction for them....
Image

Lt Pinkerton
Posts: 1373
Joined: 23 Feb 2015, 10:27

Re: Weezer Thread

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 14 May 2015, 13:06

EWBAITE is indeed amazing, although I don't think that it'll become a turning point for the band, sadly. It got some lukewarm reviews here and there and Rivers seemed a bit sad because of that in some interviews. Not regretful, as in 1996, but still...
I was watching some festival gig that they did early this year and they only played two songs from EWBAITE, the rest of the set being the usual hit-packed setlist. Quite disappointing, actually. In that same gig Rivers refered to EWBAITE as "my latest record", which also seemed funny to me. Oh well, we'll have to wait a couple of years to see how this turns out.

User avatar
KingLouieLouie76
Posts: 3219
Joined: 10 Sep 2014, 03:51
Location: Phoenix, AZ (USA)
Contact:

Re: Weezer Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 14 May 2015, 13:40

Lt Pinkerton wrote:EWBAITE is indeed amazing, although I don't think that it'll become a turning point for the band, sadly. It got some lukewarm reviews here and there and Rivers seemed a bit sad because of that in some interviews. Not regretful, as in 1996, but still...
I was watching some festival gig that they did early this year and they only played two songs from EWBAITE, the rest of the set being the usual hit-packed setlist. Quite disappointing, actually. In that same gig Rivers refered to EWBAITE as "my latest record", which also seemed funny to me. Oh well, we'll have to wait a couple of years to see how this turns out.
That's unfortunate....We'll never get an accurate read of Rivers based on how eccentric he is.... Just proves to show he's really needed Matt back in the fold because at least he kept Rivers in check back then... No one else seems able to do that.
Image

Macducci
Posts: 160
Joined: 27 Apr 2015, 17:39

Re: Weezer Thread

Post by Macducci » 14 May 2015, 15:06

i really like the SFTBH demos, Blast Off, Longtime Sunshine, I Just Threw Out the Love of My Dreams and specially Superfriend. However it is very difficult to say if I would prefer this to be released instead of Pinkerton, one of my favorite albums ever...

Macducci
Posts: 160
Joined: 27 Apr 2015, 17:39

Re: Weezer Thread

Post by Macducci » 14 May 2015, 15:13

Lt Pinkerton wrote:EWBAITE is indeed amazing, although I don't think that it'll become a turning point for the band, sadly. It got some lukewarm reviews here and there and Rivers seemed a bit sad because of that in some interviews. Not regretful, as in 1996, but still...
I was watching some festival gig that they did early this year and they only played two songs from EWBAITE, the rest of the set being the usual hit-packed setlist. Quite disappointing, actually. In that same gig Rivers refered to EWBAITE as "my latest record", which also seemed funny to me. Oh well, we'll have to wait a couple of years to see how this turns out.
is really sad because the promotion was very shit, EWBAITE is only 8 months old, but they stopped promoting it a long time ago, only one music video, they did only a short tour in USA playing the album to start to end and plays only 2 or 3 songs of the record in the few american festival dates.

Lt Pinkerton
Posts: 1373
Joined: 23 Feb 2015, 10:27

Re: Weezer Thread

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 14 May 2015, 19:19

Macducci wrote:
Lt Pinkerton wrote:EWBAITE is indeed amazing, although I don't think that it'll become a turning point for the band, sadly. It got some lukewarm reviews here and there and Rivers seemed a bit sad because of that in some interviews. Not regretful, as in 1996, but still...
I was watching some festival gig that they did early this year and they only played two songs from EWBAITE, the rest of the set being the usual hit-packed setlist. Quite disappointing, actually. In that same gig Rivers refered to EWBAITE as "my latest record", which also seemed funny to me. Oh well, we'll have to wait a couple of years to see how this turns out.
is really sad because the promotion was very shit, EWBAITE is only 8 months old, but they stopped promoting it a long time ago, only one music video, they did only a short tour in USA playing the album to start to end and plays only 2 or 3 songs of the record in the few american festival dates.
This is it. The promotion was absolutely awful, there was no way you would know about the album unless you followed a couple of music magazines (Stereogum did a very good job covering the record). And the thing with the promo videos was actually interesting and fun, I don't know why they just seemed to stop promoting the album when it was released. Again, I think it has to do with some of the reviews. Rivers really is like that.

As for SFTBH, it wouldn't have been as good as Pinkerton, so in a way we'd have to be thankful for it being scrapped, but it's still awesome without the Pinkerton songs, so you know, it's hard to say.

Macducci
Posts: 160
Joined: 27 Apr 2015, 17:39

Re: Weezer Thread

Post by Macducci » 15 May 2015, 02:25

Lt Pinkerton wrote:EWBAITE is indeed amazing, although I don't think that it'll become a turning point for the band, sadly. It got some lukewarm reviews here and there and Rivers seemed a bit sad because of that in some interviews. Not regretful, as in 1996, but still...
I was watching some festival gig that they did early this year and they only played two songs from EWBAITE, the rest of the set being the usual hit-packed setlist. Quite disappointing, actually. In that same gig Rivers refered to EWBAITE as "my latest record", which also seemed funny to me. Oh well, we'll have to wait a couple of years to see how this turns out.
I think that's the gig you watch, i watched too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He5KzmreYL4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
really strange, Rivers looks really bored, disinterested, barely speaking to the public and also introduces the band in a very awkward way during Pork and Beans. If you watch the EWBAITE gigs videos, you see a completely diferent Rivers, happy and talking a lot of times.

Post Reply