Weezer Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

Sledge Hammer

Re: Weezer Thread

Post by Sledge Hammer » 08 Mar 2015, 19:28

Their version of Talk Talk's Life's What Your Make It is horrendous!

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 08 Mar 2015, 19:48

Almost every Talk Talk cover is horrendous.

Kudos to the Spirit of Talk Talk album for having some good ones though.

Whilst on the topic of Weezer does anyone know where I can find (if there is one) an El Scorcho demo?

Sledge Hammer

Post by Sledge Hammer » 08 Mar 2015, 19:56

AdvertBreak wrote:Almost every Talk Talk cover is horrendous.

Whilst on the topic of Weezer does anyone know where I can find (if there is one) an El Scorcho demo?
Yeah but they really shouldn't tamper with perfection, would really make my year if Mark Hollis announced a reunion for one last tour, not going to happen though :(

Good to see Q magazine giving them a double page spread on been a life changing album/band this month...

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 08 Mar 2015, 20:23

AdvertBreak wrote:Almost every Talk Talk cover is horrendous.

There must be some demos from the Pinkerton/SFTBH era that haven't ended up on Rivers' Alone releases, so I wouldn't be surprised if we got an El Scorcho demo sooner or later. But for now, I'm afraid there's nothing. I felt disappointed with the Pinkerton reissue cause of its lack of unheard material, to be honest.

The Talk Talk cover is indeed awful, like almost every Weezer song not sung by Rivers (Mrs Young being the only exception!)

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 09 Mar 2015, 03:32

Lt Pinkerton wrote:There must be some demos from the Pinkerton/SFTBH era that haven't ended up on Rivers' Alone releases, so I wouldn't be surprised if we got an El Scorcho demo sooner or later. But for now, I'm afraid there's nothing. I felt disappointed with the Pinkerton reissue cause of its lack of unheard material, to be honest.
Ah, thanks though.
Sledge Hammer wrote:Yeah but they really shouldn't tamper with perfection, would really make my year if Mark Hollis announced a reunion for one last tour, not going to happen though :(

Good to see Q magazine giving them a double page spread on been a life changing album/band this month...
Talk Talk are practically untouchable. Those few good covers are good, but no, obviously not a touch on the originals.

If Talk Talk were to reunite, I'd doubt it'd be as a tour, considering they quit that about halfway into their (released output) career (like The Beatles, and for the same reason too).

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 06 May 2015, 21:21

I think this hasn't been posted yet. Weezer released a fanclub only single some weeks ago, and it's actually quite alright, specially from the 2nd chorus on. Rivers doing amazing things with his voice there and some cool guitar work. Not as good as most songs on EWBAITE but I'm not complaining. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_CubNjX4u8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 07 May 2015, 07:06

Lt Pinkerton wrote:I think this hasn't been posted yet. Weezer released a fanclub only single some weeks ago, and it's actually quite alright, specially from the 2nd chorus on. Rivers doing amazing things with his voice there and some cool guitar work. Not as good as most songs on EWBAITE but I'm not complaining. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_CubNjX4u8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for sharing! I love Rivers here... but of course...I still want Matt Sharp to return! :D

Macducci

Post by Macducci » 07 May 2015, 16:57

Pinkerton for me is perfect, one of my favorite albums ever, Blue is almost perfect too, and the demos and b-sides from 1993-1996 period...I love this band despite all the shit they released on the 2000s. EWBAITE is really a great comeback, better than Green and Maladroit for me. I don't like The Rentals too much, but their second record is very good.

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 07 May 2015, 17:16

Maladroit is so underrated. Dope Nose and Keep Fishin' are fantastic singles, then you have songs like Burndt Jamb... <3

Macducci

Post by Macducci » 07 May 2015, 17:40

i like Maladroit more than Green, i think is underrated too, but some demos of that era are better and the production is bad.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 07 May 2015, 19:52

TripleJay97 wrote:Maladroit is so underrated. Dope Nose and Keep Fishin' are fantastic singles, then you have songs like Burndt Jamb... <3
Maladroit is definitely underrated, 4th best Weezer album for me. Still I think Dope Nose is a horrible song, it may be the song with worst lyrics in Weezer's discography, and that's saying something. On the other hand, Love Explosion gets a lot of shit but I love it. Simple catchy pop tune, reminds me of Oasis, which is mainly what Rivers was listening to back in the early 00's. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39CDteAfuQE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KingLouieLouie76 wrote:

Thanks for sharing! I love Rivers here... but of course...I still want Matt Sharp to return! :D
I was hoping to see him back for the Memories tour (in which they decided that playing Hurley was stupid 'cause it's a shit record and instead did Blue and Pinkerton nights :mrgreen: ) and Rivers did actually mention that the idea crossed his mind but it didn't go further than that. Scott Shriner is the best bassist they've had and an amazing human being, while Matt was, well, a dick. I do want him back too though.

Mrbriggs

Post by Mrbriggs » 08 May 2015, 02:59

I like Pinkerton best, and then Blue, Maladroit, EWBAITE, and Green. I agree Maladroit is underrated, I think Burndt Jamb is a really good song, same for Keep Fishin' and December.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 08 May 2015, 11:38

Lt Pinkerton wrote: I was hoping to see him back for the Memories tour (in which they decided that playing Hurley was stupid 'cause it's a shit record and instead did Blue and Pinkerton nights :mrgreen: ) and Rivers did actually mention that the idea crossed his mind but it didn't go further than that. Scott Shriner is the best bassist they've had and an amazing human being, while Matt was, well, a dick. I do want him back too though.

I believe though Matt has changed over the years for the better. He's even gone on record admitting he regretted how he conducted himself back then. I believe he deserves more recognition for their sound on "Blue" and "Pinkerton"....Would be so fascinating for him and Rivers to collaborate again. I do agree though about Shriner being their best bassist, but Matt added something special to them that it is difficult to single out!

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 08 May 2015, 17:09

Definitely, he doesn't get enough praise for what he gave to the band just cause his morals were quite lousy. He was extremely funny though and Rivers' best friend in the band. We can't blame what happened after Pinkerton on Matt's departure but the fact is that he always cheered Rivers up and that couldn't happen after 1997. So maybe Rivers wouldn't have locked himself up if he had still been friends with Matt, who knows.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 08 May 2015, 20:00

I'm going to say it, The Rentals > Weezer. Their last album Lost In Alphaville which came out last year is heads and shoulders above anything Weezer have done in years.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...