Weezer Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Re: Weezer Thread

Postby Lt Pinkerton » 28 Mar 2017, 22:13

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
davidsutter wrote:I think Lost in Alphaville is better than the White Album.

I actually agree.... Matt is taking more risks and exhibiting a wider range when Weezer on the "White Album" tried to recapture their earlier sound (which isn't all too bad). Again, I believe Matt can add that missing ingredient that Weezer has been lacking for quite some time...Just in injection of a more harder-edge innovative approach.

Taking risks? Lost In Alphaville (which I love, btw) is just a compilation of reworked songs that he had already released and that pretty much sound the same as The Rentals' debut album. And I mean, even the classical Rentals sound was Rivers' idea, not Matt's. I like the guy's music but saying he's ever been innovative is a long shot :lol: Also, the guy has released like only 20 songs since 1999. Weezer have been pretty bad but at least they've tried. It's easy not to fuck up if you're just there sitting at home and living off royalties from albums you didn't even write. Re: Matt's contributions to the first two records, I believe they came in a rather indirect way, maybe challenging Rivers when he wasn't fully on board with some of his decisions, but that's it. He didn't write a single bass line, lyric or melody. Rivers even gave songwriting credits to Cropper for My Name Is Jonas and Pat's got credits in a couple of Blue songs as well but there's never been evidence of Matt's real contribution to the band. What I'm trying to say is that Matt is really a pretentious asshole (he sued Rivers, FFS) who isn't as talented as most people believe he is. If Weezer have sucked it is simply because of Rivers.

Also while obviously not the most experimental album out there, Weezer took more risks in White (Thank God For Girls, Jacked Up, Wind In Our Sail) than Matt did in Alphaville, which, once again, it's just a compilation album. So I'm not buying that White's mostly Weezer by numbers.
Lt Pinkerton

Postby tom_cas1 » 28 Mar 2017, 23:09

davidsutter wrote:I think Lost in Alphaville is better than the White Album.

Lost In Alphaville is an incredible album. Yet it has and will continue to receive less attention than some of Weezer's worst albums. And there are many. Blasphemous.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
tom_cas1

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 30 Mar 2017, 10:34

Lt Pinkerton wrote:Taking risks? Lost In Alphaville (which I love, btw) is just a compilation of reworked songs that he had already released and that pretty much sound the same as The Rentals' debut album. And I mean, even the classical Rentals sound was Rivers' idea, not Matt's. I like the guy's music but saying he's ever been innovative is a long shot :lol: Also, the guy has released like only 20 songs since 1999. Weezer have been pretty bad but at least they've tried. It's easy not to fuck up if you're just there sitting at home and living off royalties from albums you didn't even write. Re: Matt's contributions to the first two records, I believe they came in a rather indirect way, maybe challenging Rivers when he wasn't fully on board with some of his decisions, but that's it. He didn't write a single bass line, lyric or melody. Rivers even gave songwriting credits to Cropper for My Name Is Jonas and Pat's got credits in a couple of Blue songs as well but there's never been evidence of Matt's real contribution to the band. What I'm trying to say is that Matt is really a pretentious asshole (he sued Rivers, FFS) who isn't as talented as most people believe he is. If Weezer have sucked it is simply because of Rivers.

Also while obviously not the most experimental album out there, Weezer took more risks in White (Thank God For Girls, Jacked Up, Wind In Our Sail) than Matt did in Alphaville, which, once again, it's just a compilation album. So I'm not buying that White's mostly Weezer by numbers.

First, I feel where we really beg to differ is how much credit Matt is entitled to for Weezer's initial wave of success and how much input he truly had on their earlier albums/recordings. That's been debated among other diehard Weezer fans for years and it's difficult to convince one otherwise to change their beliefs on that. I contend he kept Rivers in check at times. Also, I necessarily wouldn't consider Matt a "pretentious asshole" for suing Rivers because he had every right to do so and it has been common practice for years for others in bands to sue for credit or royalty reasons. But again, it's based on what side of the fence anyone is on regarding Matt's actual contributions which again we contrast on. Also, it's a matter of opinion on how one views how talented Matt is... No one is either right or wrong there, just contingent on our own respective taste.

As far as output is concern between Weezer and Matt (Rentals) it's again that standard measurement of quality vs. quantity. I feel Matt's body of work is extremely solid and more consistent and Rivers shouldn't have released several of the albums he has. "White Album" was excellent, however, the risk he took on it was essentially what he was doing back on the "Blue Album" and "Pinkerton"....He just went full circle. I just feel the depth and even some of the minimalism that Matt resorted to on "Lost in Alphaville" was refreshing and innovative especially compared to most of today's music. But again, it's all a matter of opinion where no one is right nor wrong honestly. But it certainly is enjoyable to debate about! :D
KingLouieLouie76

Postby davidsutter » 03 Apr 2017, 06:49

It's hard to think of a song like Only In Dreams not having input from the bass player.

And yeah, the Rentals have come out with less music than Weezer but I'd be alright with Weezer doing less.
Trimming the fat from tracklists. If they took some breaks in the 2000s perhaps they would have been more solid.
davidsutter

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 09 Oct 2017, 07:16

I first heard this during my brief hiatus from posting on this forum.....

How does everyone feel about the following? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsG37JcEQNw

Yes... I know I'm partial to this particular song for obvious reasons, but I really love it!
KingLouieLouie76

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 11 Oct 2017, 06:05

It has a bitey rhythm throughout it Louie, which redeems the 80s-type sound.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."
Mallard No. 22

Postby Lt Pinkerton » 13 Oct 2017, 15:09

"Beach Boys" sucks. "Mexican Fender" and "Feels Like Summer" also suck so the whole album will probably suck as well. "Weekend Woman" doesn't suck, though. That one's pure gold.
Lt Pinkerton

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 18 Oct 2017, 03:41

I like the sentimentality of "Beach Boys" but true it's an immense step backwards from the "White Album" indeed!
KingLouieLouie76

Postby davidsutter » 19 Oct 2017, 16:42

for the most part i think the stuff they've come out with for this album is total shit

but i will say that weezer know the younger part of their audience very well

the festival set i saw them do had a pretty low amount of what i would call the 'good weezer'

but i'll be damned if there weren't kids everywhere freaking out over it
davidsutter

Postby dparrott » 21 Oct 2017, 17:13

I dig the song Beach Boys, nice change from getting blasted with guitars. But as one youtube commenter said, it's almost autumn. Should have released the album a month ago. But summer's not over yet in Cali, it's going to be 100F this week! :D
dparrott

Postby dparrott » 05 Nov 2017, 18:46

Um...new album is out. What a cover!
dparrott

Postby KingLouieLouie76 » 03 Feb 2018, 21:53

I don't know whether to be excited or not?

http://www.nme.com/news/music/weezers-b ... on-2235065
KingLouieLouie76

PreviousNext

Return to Music Is My Radar