Weezer Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: Caitlin, MrMagpie, tom_cas1

Lt Pinkerton

Re: Weezer Thread

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 05 Oct 2016, 17:16

The day has come: Weezer are collaborating with Pussy Riot on a new Jacked Up Remix out on White's deluxe edition this Friday. http://pitchfork.com/news/68781-weezer- ... aboration/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of the new b-sides has just been played in Zane Lowe's show: https://itunes.apple.com/us/post/idsa.a ... 473c00e34f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It's good, I guess.

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 05 Oct 2016, 17:55

"Fake Smiles and Nervous Laughter" is kind of nice... way better than I Love The USA
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 05 Oct 2016, 18:10

might buy that
i never got around to buying the regular so

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 05 Oct 2016, 19:49

davidsutter wrote:might buy that
i never got around to buying the regular so
I hope they'll eventually release the deluxe edition physically. I don't really wanna own I Love The USA but I wouldn't mind paying twice for Jacked Up and L.A. Girlz.

And yeah, the new song is pretty solid, 7/10 for me.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 09 Oct 2016, 14:57

"Fake Smiles & Nervous" isn't all too bad...I would also rank it around a 7/10. It easily could have fit on the "White Album", but it's slightly a notch below the "Blue Album" and "Pinkerton" standard. They still seem to be heading in the right direction. I just feel "I Love the USA" was a forced effort by Rivers and shouldn't count at all and soon will be forgotten by everyone!

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 22 Feb 2017, 06:19

I've been reading about and watching videos (interviews) on youtube of the "Pinkerton" period and it's unfortunate how creative tensions ultimately forced Matt out. I still have hope he will finally return one of these days. I feel they've obviously never been the same since and won't capture that magic until that ever does indeed happen.

davidsutter

Post by davidsutter » 24 Feb 2017, 21:58

http://lineup.forecastlefest.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

going to this
also excited about seeing lcd soundsystem

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 16 Mar 2017, 20:44

New single...I really don't know what to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efPWrIvzGgc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 16 Mar 2017, 22:47

tom_cas1 wrote:New single...I really don't know what to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efPWrIvzGgc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OMG... it's horrid! Whenever I feel they're on the verge of returning to prior greatness, they manage to regress with this type of gibberish!

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 17 Mar 2017, 15:32

That is not the "Black Album" style Rivers was talking about, isn't it? :?
While the song doesn't sound awful, it is very bland and un-catchy for the foray into the pop music.
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 17 Mar 2017, 18:56

Sounds like a cross between boy band and a bad hip hop artist. And I'm pretty sure I heard a few autotune moments on the lead vocals...
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 18 Mar 2017, 03:47

A few weeks ago (as I posted) I went on an extensive "Blue" and "Pinkerton" binge and I miss when they tended to sound "darker". That was the primary allure behind "Pinkerton" and which is why it took awhile for others to embrace due to the stark contrast of how "happy" they sounded on "Blue". I still wish they'd revisit "Songs from the Black Hole" and and get Matt back into fold. Again, I know neither of that can possibly happen, but one can only dream, right? :D

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 26 Mar 2017, 13:18

This is so very hysterical...I cannot stop watching this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFqmSj25hk4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 26 Mar 2017, 17:55

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:A few weeks ago (as I posted) I went on an extensive "Blue" and "Pinkerton" binge and I miss when they tended to sound "darker". That was the primary allure behind "Pinkerton" and which is why it took awhile for others to embrace due to the stark contrast of how "happy" they sounded on "Blue". I still wish they'd revisit "Songs from the Black Hole" and and get Matt back into fold. Again, I know neither of that can possibly happen, but one can only dream, right? :D
I know I've said this a hundred times but why do you think that the return of a former band member who literally had 0% direct creative input into their earlier stuff would make them release another Blue or Pinkerton? Also The White Album is better than anything that Matt has ever released and this is coming from someone who loves The Rentals but if Rivers has lost it then Matt never even had it in the first place.

And yeah Feels Like Summer is fucking embarrassing.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 26 Mar 2017, 20:21

I disagree, Weezer get all the attention but The Rentals have the better music. Return Of The Rentals is an exquisite record and it's a shame they took so long (2014) to release a proper follow up, not counting their 1999 effort Seven More Minutes which is a little weak compared to their debut. But they BY FAR made the better music. Weezer have become a parody of themselves and Rivers has released more shit over the years than good songs.

I know, I'm expecting backlash, but I had to say it!