Weezer Thread

Other music and recommendations.

Moderators: tom_cas1, Caitlin, MrMagpie

KingLouieLouie76

Re: Weezer Thread

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 10 Nov 2015, 23:41

Yeah..maybe I used some hyperbole there! :lol:

I'm just basing it on remembering how the music soundscape was during that period.... I loved "Pinkerton" upon first listen.. Never forget hearing "El Scorcho" and to me it was/is very accessible when some might think to the contrary.... I just believe "Songs from the Black Hole" would have been such an ambitious project compared to the time in which music was starting to sound more simplistic... Rivers can be very sophisticated and very profound and we all need that.. it's so refreshing....

I do hope they revisit it next year and even Matt Sharp does return to the fold..... And "Make Believe" was a very....very dreadful in my opinion.....

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 10 Nov 2015, 23:50

Matt is never coming back imo. His ego is too big to take the backseat after all that happened and Scott's been in Weezer for more years than Matt and Mikey combined! If you think about it, Mikey was the perfect replacement - funny, ironic, the sort of guy that would take the spotlight away from Rivers so he would feel comfortable. I do really miss the guy.
Anyway, I feel Rivers is in good artistic terms right now so LP10 could actually be surprising. This is Weezer so you can never know, but after EWBAITE I think it's fair to give him the benefit of the doubt.

DrSleepless

Post by DrSleepless » 11 Nov 2015, 01:15

Hopefully this album is better than everything will be shite in the end.

Mrbriggs

Post by Mrbriggs » 11 Nov 2015, 02:44

I thought I read somewhere that these last two songs were just experiments, not necessarily for any album, but I hope DYWGH is on the next album. If the whole thing sounds like that, it could be pretty good.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 12 Nov 2015, 22:36

Lt Pinkerton wrote:Matt is never coming back imo. His ego is too big to take the backseat after all that happened and Scott's been in Weezer for more years than Matt and Mikey combined! If you think about it, Mikey was the perfect replacement - funny, ironic, the sort of guy that would take the spotlight away from Rivers so he would feel comfortable. I do really miss the guy.
Anyway, I feel Rivers is in good artistic terms right now so LP10 could actually be surprising. This is Weezer so you can never know, but after EWBAITE I think it's fair to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I know...I should finally give-up on the notion/hope that Mat will never return....The Rentals is still an excellent project and noway should he deviate from that.... Mikey was a great replacement.....you're definitely spot on w/your post and "EWBAITE" was their best in years and "DYWGH" definitely does offer a glimmer of promise!

TripleJay97

Post by TripleJay97 » 19 Nov 2015, 20:44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USTckN-Q52M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First 2 mins.

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 19 Nov 2015, 20:49

Mikey :cry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmz_GGbbJwE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 13 Jan 2016, 22:50

So White Album it is! (I guess) http://weezer.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They've changed every profile pic in social media to a blank screen and shared a youtube video just with white noise. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH7jXKV7nPE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Consigliere_11

Post by Consigliere_11 » 13 Jan 2016, 23:04

Nice! I just hhope they won't have something like their version of Revolution 9 on there.
RIP Mr. Okay (April 2015 - March 2016)

Mrbriggs

Post by Mrbriggs » 15 Jan 2016, 05:37

http://pitchfork.com/news/62916-weezer- ... rld-video/ Confirmed then? Never sure if I should get my hopes up for Weezer or not...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 15 Jan 2016, 07:54

Mrbriggs wrote:http://pitchfork.com/news/62916-weezer- ... rld-video/ Confirmed then? Never sure if I should get my hopes up for Weezer or not...

"King of the World" indeed sounds very promising... it seems to combine elements of "Pinkerton" and some of their more recent work... But "DYWGH" still blows me away more than anything else they have done in years!

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 15 Jan 2016, 12:54

I'm not so sure about King of the World (and I think I'm the only one here who likes TGFG :lol: ), but hey, at least it's catchy, which is more that you can say about some of the pre-EWBAITE shit. I'm not getting my hopes high cause there are some corny songtitles there (LA Girlz, Jacked Up) but then again, DYWGH's also on the album some I really don't know what to think. It's post-Pinkerton Weezer after all, I'm okay with the album having a couple of shit tunes if there are three or four DYWGH-caliber songs. And having the balls to actually release a White Album on April Fools' Day is kinda hilarious :lol:

Apparently, Rivers has been working on the Scott & Rivers song "California" for the new album. It'll be the album opener. It's actually pretty good and kinda Beach Boys-y (he seems to be listening a lot to them lately, which should only bring good things as it did in the 90s), I hope he didn't mess up translating the lyrics into English. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtSOyZf5aU4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Full tracklist:

California Kids
Wind in Our Sail
Thank God for Girls
(Girl We Got A) Good Thing
Do You Wanna Get High?
King of the World
Summer Elaine and Drunk Dori
L.A. Girlz
Jacked Up
Endless Bummer

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 15 Jan 2016, 15:09

Lt Pinkerton wrote:I'm not so sure about King of the World (and I think I'm the only one here who likes TGFG :lol: ), but hey, at least it's catchy, which is more that you can say about some of the pre-EWBAITE shit. I'm not getting my hopes high cause there are some corny songtitles there (LA Girlz, Jacked Up) but then again, DYWGH's also on the album some I really don't know what to think. It's post-Pinkerton Weezer after all, I'm okay with the album having a couple of shit tunes if there are three or four DYWGH-caliber songs. And having the balls to actually release a White Album on April Fools' Day is kinda hilarious :lol:

Apparently, Rivers has been working on the Scott & Rivers song "California" for the new album. It'll be the album opener. It's actually pretty good and kinda Beach Boys-y (he seems to be listening a lot to them lately, which should only bring good things as it did in the 90s), I hope he didn't mess up translating the lyrics into English. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtSOyZf5aU4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Full tracklist:

California Kids
Wind in Our Sail
Thank God for Girls
(Girl We Got A) Good Thing
Do You Wanna Get High?
King of the World
Summer Elaine and Drunk Dori
L.A. Girlz
Jacked Up
Endless Bummer

I've recently begun comparing Rivers to Brian Wilson, that it is unreal. So many similarities! I hope with those "odd titles" that Rivers is channeling Brian's "Smilie Smile" side...wouldn't that be amazing?!

Lt Pinkerton

Post by Lt Pinkerton » 15 Jan 2016, 16:37

KingLouieLouie76 wrote:
There's so much that can be said about Rivs and Brian being so similar to each other! It's an often overlooked aspect that I find particularly interesting -the two of them were so affected by the reception to their work that it changed their whole careers. Even if Pinkerton was completed and Smile wasn't, the comparison still stands and the outcome of those two stages ended up being quite similar since both of them took a completely different approach to their way of writing music. Even if it's a bit of a stretch, the Homie project was Rivers' Smile. I don't know if you've heard those songs but the melodies are as good as in the first two Weezer albums, yet the overall sound is completely different, at least from the few recordings left. If one day we're lucky enough to have a huge Weezer boxset, I'd rather have a completed Homie than Songs From The Black Hole. Snngs are that good imo.

Rivers obviously owes a lot to Brian in terms of melody and harmony, particularly if you think about the Blue Album (If I'm not wrong, Rivers, Brian and Matt used to sing Beach Boys songs together to improve their vocal harmonies). The Beach Boys' legacy is evidently much bigger than Weezer's, but I do think it's fair to say that very few people have written better melodies than Brian in the 60s and Rivers in the 90s. I think you might enjoy this, although it's a little outdated and I'm not so sure about every fact listed there. http://www.mattbrundage.com/music/weeze ... ilarities/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is what Rivers said yesterday about The Beach Boys: Obviously my favorite band has always been the Beach Boys, and what I love about them most are the melodies and the chord progressions. I guess the harmonies too. And the orchestration. Can't forget about the lyrics. So basically everything. I wanted to get that kind of vibe: beautiful tunes and sweet lyrics. I also love the dark side of the beach – Venice after dark, hearing at the Del Monte Speakeasy about how the gangsters used to drag the bodies through the catacombs and leave them under the pier.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 15 Jan 2016, 21:17

Lt Pinkerton wrote: There's so much that can be said about Rivs and Brian being so similar to each other! It's an often overlooked aspect that I find particularly interesting -the two of them were so affected by the reception to their work that it changed their whole careers. Even if Pinkerton was completed and Smile wasn't, the comparison still stands and the outcome of those two stages ended up being quite similar since both of them took a completely different approach to their way of writing music. Even if it's a bit of a stretch, the Homie project was Rivers' Smile. I don't know if you've heard those songs but the melodies are as good as in the first two Weezer albums, yet the overall sound is completely different, at least from the few recordings left. If one day we're lucky enough to have a huge Weezer boxset, I'd rather have a completed Homie than Songs From The Black Hole. Snngs are that good imo.

Rivers obviously owes a lot to Brian in terms of melody and harmony, particularly if you think about the Blue Album (If I'm not wrong, Rivers, Brian and Matt used to sing Beach Boys songs together to improve their vocal harmonies). The Beach Boys' legacy is evidently much bigger than Weezer's, but I do think it's fair to say that very few people have written better melodies than Brian in the 60s and Rivers in the 90s. I think you might enjoy this, although it's a little outdated and I'm not so sure about every fact listed there. http://www.mattbrundage.com/music/weeze ... ilarities/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is what Rivers said yesterday about The Beach Boys: Obviously my favorite band has always been the Beach Boys, and what I love about them most are the melodies and the chord progressions. I guess the harmonies too. And the orchestration. Can't forget about the lyrics. So basically everything. I wanted to get that kind of vibe: beautiful tunes and sweet lyrics. I also love the dark side of the beach – Venice after dark, hearing at the Del Monte Speakeasy about how the gangsters used to drag the bodies through the catacombs and leave them under the pier.
First, I honestly never heard of the "Homie" project and hope to check it out sometime.... Thanks for sharing that Matt Brundage link... Wow, so many parallels between the two bands.. I wish Brian and Rivers would record together!