Mick Taylor
58%
Ronnie Wood
No votes

Total votes: 12

tom_cas1

Re: The Rolling Stones Thread

Post by tom_cas1 » 27 Jul 2015, 20:40

Digging the new track by Keith Richards, called "Trouble". Anyone else heard it? New album coming too, can't wait.

He also said the Stones plan on recording a new album at the end of this year/early next year and it was Mick's idea. It's all in this months Mojo magazine, great article.

Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 01 Aug 2015, 11:28

tom_cas1 wrote:Digging the new track by Keith Richards, called "Trouble". Anyone else heard it? New album coming too, can't wait.

He also said the Stones plan on recording a new album at the end of this year/early next year and it was Mick's idea. It's all in this months Mojo magazine, great article.

I'm also looking forward to this since Blondie Chaplin contributed backing vocals to four tracks, 'Illusion", "Just A Gift", "Goodnight Irene' and "Lover's Plea." Blondie was a member of the Beach Boys in the early 70s and also toured with the Stones for 10-years and has been lately involved w/Brian Wilson projects as well... He as such a wonderful voice, so cannot wait to hear his contribution alone.

MrMagpie

Post by MrMagpie » 03 Aug 2015, 13:04

Just reviewed the Mick Jagger bio by Philip Norman from a few years ago. Good book.

http://rnrchemist.blogspot.com/2015/08/ ... agger.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Really throws into sharp relief how much of a rebel Mick WASN'T, especially when compared to Keith.

The Rock and Roll Chemist: http://www.rnrchemist.blogspot.com
Twitter: @rocknrollchem http://www.twitter.com/rocknrollchem

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 06 Aug 2015, 04:08

Youve probably heard how "Mixed Emotions" is actually "Mick's Demotion"? But it seems of course Brian was the initial leader and then since it has always been 50/50 between Mick and Keith.... It's awfully complex to figure out if Mick was ever the most prominent leader.....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 06 Aug 2015, 08:30

Apparently Mick wasn't one for groupies, whereas Brian & Bill could be.

I understand that the management diverted the girls to them, to avoid Mick getting adverse publicity.
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."

DrSleepless

Post by DrSleepless » 06 Aug 2015, 12:48

tom_cas1 wrote:Digging the new track by Keith Richards, called "Trouble". Anyone else heard it? New album coming too, can't wait.

Digging that Keith tune, just heard it yesterday.

I really hope the Stones use a different producer than Don Was if they record a new album.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 06 Aug 2015, 14:21

There was talk of Jack White being interested in producing them a few years ago. I think that'd be amazing and give them a new kind of sound production wise.
Coffee & TV wrote:Any cock bigger than mine is deffo a human marvel. Give it to me, babe.
Pavlich wrote:I did see a bloke in bondage gear with a rubber dick on his head and dildos for arms, but that was about the peak...

DrSleepless

Post by DrSleepless » 06 Aug 2015, 23:24

That would be great.

Frankly, Don Was is such a soft option anyone who was passionate about music would be better.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 17 Aug 2015, 05:54

From Mr. Magpie's Review Thread:
MrMagpie wrote:The book went into great detail of Redlands, but Mick certainly never has. Keith has no problem talking about that stuff but Mick has always wanted to high society and, to be fair, he got lumped in with Keith and Brian's shenanigans by association most of the time, so I can understand his reticence. But he almost refuses to acknowledge it happened at all, which is the baffling thing.
Mick possibly bore the brunt of (bad) publicity at the time. He represented the band (& youth culture) on the 'World In Action' programme amongst establishment figures.

It is probably like asking Damon to comment on the Blur vs Oasis chart battle.

tom_cas1

Post by tom_cas1 » 21 Apr 2016, 18:10

Earlier this month I started work on an article about the Hyde Park concert The Rolling Stones played in July 1969. The article features a number of first hand accounts from people who were there. Enjoy!

https://tomcaswell.net/2016/04/21/the-r ... mmer-1969/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 21 Apr 2016, 23:47

tom_cas1 wrote:Earlier this month I started work on an article about the Hyde Park concert The Rolling Stones played in July 1969. The article features a number of first hand accounts from people who were there. Enjoy!

https://tomcaswell.net/2016/04/21/the-r ... mmer-1969/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Excellent write-up...you should definitely do one regarding Altamont as well....

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 30 Apr 2016, 21:45

:D Nice work Tom, tells all that needs to be known and keeps the reader's attention.

AdvertBreak

Post by AdvertBreak » 01 Jul 2016, 03:53

Not a fan of them on the whole but I'll say this much, and I'm speaking in the Ronnie Wood era, if Mick Jagger had the upper hand, they could have been a great band for me, mixing in all sorts of influences like he wanted to. Unfortunately Keith Richards has always ruined that and was obsessed with being a dour, stale blues hard rock and roll band in my opinion. As is always the case with major acts, I am drawn towards mid-period or late work, and this is especially where this is apparent. Undercover has interesting ideas but some absolutely boring stuff, etc. Vooodoo Lounge is straight up meh, whereas, most interestingly, Mick wanted the Dust Brothers to have a heavy hand in Bridges to Babylon because he was a big fan of their production on Odelay. And what a promising idea that was. The most interesting the band have ever had to me. Unfortunately Keith Richards struck and ruined the whole idea so that the Dust Bros only produce a few tracks :/ What -is- surprising about that album though, despite the unwanted dominance, is that I still enjoy it a lot anyway. Easily my favourite album by them. Anyway you already know the details and such but I'm a wee drunk so. And I'm not going to talk about pre-1976 Rolling Stones because I'd just be wrong.

Mallard No. 22

Post by Mallard No. 22 » 02 Jul 2016, 07:18

I prefer their 60s work, and certainly think their first 20 years were the most potent.

Since then they have been based on touring and legacy.

KingLouieLouie76

Post by KingLouieLouie76 » 02 Jul 2016, 11:54

I preferred in general the Brian Jones era of the band, but in spite of that, I still rank "Exile" as my all-time fave Stones album. I give credit for Ronnie Wood for keeping them afloat in the mid-late 70s when they (IE Keith) were in such utter disarray. "Undercover" was intriguing and I really liked "Steel Wheels" (that's when I saw them in concert)....

Yes, Keith and Ronnie are both deep rooted into the Blues while Brian and Mick back then (and Mick now) seemed more advantageous but it seems since "Mick's Demotion" that Keith has had total control of what they've been doing w/Ronnie siding with him. I don't know where Charlie stands and of course Bill Wyman had some input back then. Oh well...they're nothing but a nostalgia act for the past couple decades, but nothing wrong with that since they are still one of the highest grossing bands around!